COU Shut Down Over Apparent Runway Issue

Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
It also affect braking.

fwiw, the airport responded to the cancellations with

I'm not sure that's the best reply when your customers cancel flights due to safety concerns.
I've flown out of similar places, however, the crossing was never near the takeoff point, most were in the first 1000 feet of the runway. You feel the bump when you go over the other runway, and most were a lot closer to 90 degree intersections. As the plane was still far from ready to fly, it was a bump, bigger than the expansion joints, and certainly not around Vr where the bump would feel the plane get very light, but not leave the ground.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
I was scheduled tomorrow COU-DFW-AUS; they put me on AAL385 STL-DFW with the same connection, so it's not a huge deal or anything (though the 2-hour drive and earlier timing isn't exactly great); my upgrade even cleared within an hour of getting the flight changed.
Looks like AA 385 was cancelled today. Did they rebook you?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:06 pm

Airport completely closed now.

Will fix the bump over the crown over the next week on 13/31, at which time traffic will be reopened. The main runway (2/20) maintenance will be completed in about 6 weeks.

Full story: https://www.komu.com/news/airport-cl...ter-complaints
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm not sure that's the best reply when your customers cancel flights due to safety concerns.
I think it's a reasonable response when all the airlines in question (and the FAA) signed off on the renovation that was just done to the runway, and then suddenly bailed apparently without warning. The FAA has absolutely not ever said there is any safety issue here. Granted, given recent totally unrelated events their credibility isn't exactly at its historical peak, but that still goes quite a long way for me. And don't forget, the fourth carrier was just continuing right along flying as scheduled. So the idea that this was a huge safety concern and all blame lands on COU seems wrong to me. I'm way more annoyed with the way the carriers handled this than the airport.

Originally Posted by JDiver
Yes. Among other conditions, such as density altitude (varies with heat, humidity), runway length, distance to and height of obstructions, runway surface, prevailing wind direction and velocity, etc.
Sure, I think I was aware of all those factors. Although I suppose I could have discounted "runway surface" for the same reason I wasn't clear on surface moisture...that you aren't really using the wheels for much in a normal takeoff. I mean...other than you know, supporting the airframe and rolling and whatnot...but the point is traction doesn't seem like a crucial factor. After skywardhunter's explanation above it does seem super obvious that being able to stop if you need to abort is also important, and in that context traction is absolutely critical...just wasn't really thinking about that. Anyway, as always thanks for the knowledge.

Originally Posted by ldonnelly
Looks like AA 385 was cancelled today. Did they rebook you?
Sure did. Interestingly, it looks like they moved some equipment from COU to STL and added flights? When I booked AA 385 I was looking at expertflyer, and the flight I ended up on (AA 9405) wasn't in the list at that point (or I was blind or misconfigured my EF search, or...). Actually was a more convenient time (vs. 385) as well, and they rebooked me directly into J. It was on a CRJ, which is not what usually does STL-DFW, and the flight attendant was talking about the COU closure, which is what made me think they moved them over there.

Also, said FA blatantly misinformed some pax about the situation...told them COU was going to be closed for 75 days. I spoke up and said he had mistaken the 2/20 closure time for the airport closure time and the airport would only be down a week, but he continued to swear he was right even after I pulled up the news article on it. Complete with the predictable appeal to authority argument because he works for the airline and I don't. Awesome.

Originally Posted by Antarius
OP needs to change their FT handle to be HLC(stuck)inCOU
Hehe, yeah, indeed. Luckily I haven't been actually stuck...but I'll be happy when it's back up and I don't have to drive out to STL.

Last edited by HLCinCOU; Apr 11, 2019 at 8:23 pm Reason: mixed up posts and misattributed skywardhunter's explanation to autdi
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Hehe, yeah, indeed. Luckily I haven't been actually stuck...but I'll be happy when it's back up and I don't have to drive out to STL.
I dont mind STL. Nice little AC, easy in and out (parking construction aside for now), and real pre-check. I do mind the drive and paying for parking though.

Thankfully Im good for a couple more weeks, so things should be rolling again by then.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:42 am

I would definitely be annoyed if I was suddenly expected to drive 2 hours for my flight booked out of COU, especially if I paid a premium to fly out of the local airport. I don't know if that's still true, since the few times I flied out of COU I think the only service was to MEM on Delta and airfares were usually significantly higher than flying out of STL.

Interesting note, Columbia says they expect the FAA to cover 90% of the cost of the repair.
John Glascock, Columbia's interim city manager, told members of Regional Economic Development Inc. on Wednesday that the Federal Aviation Administration would pick up 90 percent of the cost.

He estimated the price tag to be between $400,000 and $500,000.

We built it to their standards. We did everything properly. Theyre going to have to pay for it, Glascock said.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by maskedmesothorium

Interesting note, Columbia says they expect the FAA to cover 90% of the cost of the repair.
That's standard, local picks up 10% of the tab, feds pay the rest. I've seen the exact same 90% split multiple times at multiple locations for taxiways, runway extensions, lighting, most direct use of the airport things.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:44 am

I would definitely be annoyed if I was suddenly expected to drive 2 hours for my flight booked out of COU, especially if I paid a premium to fly out of the local airport. I don't know if that's still true, since the few times I flied out of COU I think the only service was to MEM on Delta and airfares were usually significantly higher than flying out of STL.

There is still a premium, but not quite as bad as when DL was the only option, nor as bad as when AA was the sole option after DL pulled out. With AA and UA competing, its slightly better. It can be outrageous at times though, depending on destination.

I typically draw the line at a $350 difference, and rarely hit it. It does happen though, especially with F/J. Sometimes it can even be cheaper.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
I don’t mind STL. Nice little AC, easy in and out (parking construction aside for now), and real pre-check. I do mind the drive and paying for parking though.
Oh yeah, the airport itself is fantastic. It's so overbuilt and overstaffed (at least in T1) you get through security at just about normal walking speed. Just like you said the only issue is location.

Yeah, as thunderlounge said, the premium is much lower now. Still there though...I had paid right at $300 for my one-way COU-DFW-AUS, whereas the same ticket ex-STL would probably be $220 or so (which is what the return cost me when I booked it post-closure). And then there's the fact that parking is free at COU. Inasmuch as it wasn't my money, I was less concerned with the extra expense than the inconvenience; I won't go so far as intentionally booking more-expensive-than-necessary fares to bag extra EQD, but when it happens by accident I don't get real worked up.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:31 pm

@HLCinCOU

You bet. If I’m flying for work, the difference doesn’t exist. It’s COU or bust.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:58 pm

Airport reopened. UA expects to resume Sunday afternoon, AA on the 16th.

Local news story with more info: https://www.komu.com/news/columbia-r...-modifications

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.