Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Any chance AA doesn't succumb to variable award prices?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any chance AA doesn't succumb to variable award prices?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Austin787
..Don't expect any advanced notice on further AAdvantage changes, given Mr Parker's record on changes.
There will/would be notice of any major changes.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:44 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
This change is inevitable. I only hope we get something (maybe changes to the published routing and/or third-zone-transit rules) out of it.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Of course they will. Has anything improved since the mergers? There may be three left but they are really one big airline now. Be prepared for more “enhancements” from management. Meanwhile, fellow inmates, enjoy your ride in the new Oasis cabin with your enhanced FF benefits!
iadisgreat, enviroian and gateH15 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
You can transfer Amex points to Delta, and Chase points to United. This inflates DL and UA mileage currencies. AA is protected to an extent because of a lack of credit card transfer partners.
You can obtain an obscene amount of AA miles through a relatively easy churn of their Citi cards though. Throw Barclays in the mix too for a quick hit of 60,000 miles after spending nothing. Not that the average AA FFP member is doing the churn, but it's still a fair amount of people sucking up a lot of availability. So it's probably a wash.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
You can obtain an obscene amount of AA miles through a relatively easy churn of their Citi cards though. Throw Barclays in the mix too for a quick hit of 60,000 miles after spending nothing. Not that the average AA FFP member is doing the churn, but it's still a fair amount of people sucking up a lot of availability. So it's probably a wash.
I thought you could only get 1 Citi AA card every 2 years or something.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile
I thought you could only get 1 Citi AA card every 2 years or something.
Check out the targeted mailers thread in the Citibank forum here. You might find it very interesting.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
This change is inevitable. I only hope we get something (maybe changes to the published routing and/or third-zone-transit rules) out of it.
That’s not consumers getting anything more out of it, as extremely variable mileage ticket pricing (based on contemporaneously available regular paid revenue fares at time of attempted mileage ticket booking) would almost certainly bring that too — as it's part and parcel of how DL already does its thing.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
I almost never look for domestic awards on AA, so as long as AA leaves the partners alone, I tend to agree that it would be difficult for AA to make it much worse.

Safe Travels
355F1 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan

AS has said they won’t go varaiable (not recently though)
AS is already mostly variable for alaska airlines operated flights. Pick any route operated just by their metal, and you can get it for anywhere from 5000 to 60000 miles depending on date and time.
United was similar also already, so I don't see what the big deal is with removing what was already a variable chart. Already on holiday weekends a united flight was atleast 22500 - 32500 miles each way.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Just for Main Cabin they've already got four price levels + an unpublished level (select dates that require a higher number of miles (in addition to Level 1 and 2 awards) -- with lousy availability in the lowest level. I don't see how variable pricing could be materially worse.
I’ve said that before, and been wrong every time.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by luv2vacay
I think they will definitely go dynamic/variable, but probably not for a year or more. They'll need to get Citibank to tighten or get rid of the mailer codes first to cut down on the number of bonus miles you can get (like Delta does with Amex Lifetime and UA with Chase 2-year).

Not that I want any of the "dynamic" stuff to go in.

Hilton was a massive devaluation (IMO), Delta was the worst (IMO). I mean seriously, 280,000 miles for 1 round trip from NY to Hawaii compared to 100k on United and 160k on AA (I think that's what AA currently is now, but I could be wrong--depends on if you get lie-flats or not).
I doubt whether AA will strong arm Citi to stop giving out bonuses, that’s gravy to AA.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by AA100k
Of course they will. Has anything improved since the mergers? There may be three left but they are really one big airline now. Be prepared for more “enhancements” from management. Meanwhile, fellow inmates, enjoy your ride in the new Oasis cabin with your enhanced FF benefits!
At least DL is adding IFE and F seats. We get the worst aspects of DL "innovation" AND additional negative "enhancements."
iadisgreat, 84fiero and AA100k like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

I’ve said that before, and been wrong every time.
A graduate of the DL SkyMiles School of Hard Knocks.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Austin787
AA started moving towards variable award prices when they introduced multiple AAnytime tiers several years ago.
And that's pretty much all that counts, considering the lack of SAAver availability these days.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
For sure AA will match (devalue) to UA. I know this won’t happen, but AA should figure some other new elite benefit as all will soon not have to pay close in booking fee, lol!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.