Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will AA close the Flagship Lounge at ORD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will AA close the Flagship Lounge at ORD?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm
I think he is comparing to other airline premium lounges...such as the JL F lounge at NRT or the CX F lounge at HKG. Worlds above any of the AA Flagship lounges.
I still have vivid memories of visiting the LH Senator lounge at MUC, when I was a lowly US Gold (* Gold)... Unfortunately, those days are long gone.
that's not at all how I read the statement (bolding mine):
Originally Posted by Stripe
Flagship lounges simply bring AA a more standard international business class lounge, and are themselves a deterioration from the FL experience when they were really first class lounges.
Clearly that statement is meant to be a comparision to some past state of AA lounges, not a comparison to other airline lounges.

No question that the likes of JL, CX lounges are better than AA's FL.

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Confused here. How was it poorly located or with poor food offerings? It was located in the same space it is currently on its own floor. Are you referring to the temporary FL when it was undergoing renovations?
Prior to the current ORD FL AA had a flagship lounge / IFL (or whatever it was called) near gate K20. It was a fine lounge for a US airline - but the current FL is head and shoulders better.
BWISkyGuy likes this.

Last edited by bse118; Apr 4, 2019 at 1:22 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:22 pm

The poster that everyone is quoting just means that FLs used to be more exclusive; now they are effectively business class lounges by virtue of who is let in, regardless of whether the actual product has changed. So his ego is hurt.
AA100k likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The previous Flagship Lounge by H18 was pretty inferior - small and crowded, fair food offerings at best, fair beverage selection. No showers. A quiet room that was bare and pretty much not respected as a quiet room (iirc previously a smoking room?) The current FL is a step up, though once AA decided to open it up to Platinum, Executive Platinum and Business class it has become more crowded and less exclusive. In essence, it has become an acceptable Business class lounge. Given the recent build and United’s ORD offerings, IMO it’s not likely going away in the near future.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I would agree that AA in many ways is trying to be a dual airline. I give Parker credit for upgrading the experience and product for the high end spender. Interestingly David Needleman former CEO of B6 and supposedly starting a new airline (Moxy is at least the initial name) has hinted his new airline will feature a wide experience. Presumably Mint like seats in the front cascading to Spirit like seats in the back.

Is this a viable business strategy? Time will tell. Can you have a retail store with Neiman Marcus in the front of the store and Dollar General in the back of the store?

It would be a flying mall.
? is where to put the food court!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by bse118
Prior to the current ORD FL AA had a flagship lounge / IFL (or whatever it was called) near gate K20. It was a fine lounge for a US airline - but the current FL is head and shoulders better.
Apparently I'm getting all my lounge locations confused. I had to look at my old photos, but the old lounge didn't seem that small or hard to find to me. But I definitely agree that the current FL is much improved. I just wish they replenished the food more timely. Some of the options sat out for a very long time (and did not look edible anymore) while other things (like sushi) remained empty for long periods of time.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Apparently I'm getting all my lounge locations confused. I had to look at my old photos, but the old lounge didn't seem that small or hard to find to me. But I definitely agree that the current FL is much improved. I just wish they replenished the food more timely. Some of the options sat out for a very long time (and did not look edible anymore) while other things (like sushi) remained empty for long periods of time.
The old ORD FL lounge was at the very end of H. It was convenient as PAX going to China were often just ten meters from the FL to the departure gate. The new ORD FL is fantastic, great showers, great spread, a quiet area, good view of tarmac (both H&K inside gates) from many seats. One does have to walk about 150 meters to most widebody departing OCONUS AA aircraft, of which are becoming less and less at ORD.

I just suspect as AA continues to divest at ORD as a mainline hub (it slowly becoming a RJ hub), and especially as a TPAC hub, the FL will go back to its old status as a meeting room. No reason to keep a high end FL with very limited TPAC and TATL flights.

BTW- AA J PAX buying codeshare (AA tickets) on JL are unable to check-in using the ORD Flagship check-in. They must go to the JL ticket counter. Seems keeping ORD FL lounge open is a very expensive luxury for a customer base AA has given up on at ORD.

I am crushed at AA's concession to UA at ORD. AA became a favorite of the locals in the 90s, and I read numerous articles it had a higher percentage of O&D than UA. Maybe Kirby going to UA was the final straw for Chairman Parker to quit the ORD market- maybe a gentlemen agreement. Who knows..... But I think ORD Flagship lounge will have an announced closure in the next two years. Maybe Chairman Parker will take the savings and build smoking pods for passengers on the tarmac at every terminal at CLT... who knows....

Last edited by GunsOfNavarone; Apr 4, 2019 at 7:55 pm
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
I just suspect as AA continues to divest at ORD as a mainline hub (it slowly becoming a RJ hub), and especially as a TPAC hub, the FL will go back to its old status as a meeting room. No reason to keep a high end FL with very limited TPAC and TATL flights. .
So if I am to believe FT (and posts in this very thread) the ORD FL is constantly overcrowded. If it's constantly overcrowded then clearly AA has a customer base at ORD that benefits from the FL.

Here's the thing - AA presumably has a sizable elite base at ORD. The FL is part of AA's competitive strategy/approach at ORD relative to UA and other carriers. Regardless of a small drawdown in direct intercontinental flying at O'Hare - that portion of the AA ORD elite base who is eligible for FL access on qualifying itineraries is eligible for access regardless of if an international flight departs directly from ORD or if it's part of connecting itinerary from another gateway. Ergo, the FL remains a competitive tool.

Meanwhile AA is continuing it's investment in ORD facilities. Recent addition of new gates on Concourse L ("the L stringer"). Partnership in the O'Hare terminal redevelopment project.

The day the ORD FL closes is the day AA shuts ORD as a hub. That's not happening any time soon.

I am crushed at AA's concession to UA at ORD. AA became a favorite of the locals in the 90s, and I read numerous articles it had a higher percentage of O&D than UA.
And here we have it: OP feels personally slighted by AA.

Guess that's OP's choice. Cool. If you feel another carrier offers a better product/service for your needs, by all means go fly that other carrier. Not sure there's any point in getting personally invested beyond that.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
The old lounge, I found, had much better food. It changed almost daily, highlighted events, and felt more like home cooking then the generic stuff out in the FL now. Also, the lounge had better champagne and drinks than it does currently. While the new space is far nicer and brighter, the merging of emeralds and sapphires can make it a bit crowded. Never, ever, did I find a crowd in the old one.
TravelLawyer and brewdog11 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by kellytoronto
The old lounge, I found, had much better food. It changed almost daily, highlighted events, and felt more like home cooking then the generic stuff out in the FL now. Also, the lounge had better champagne and drinks than it does currently. While the new space is far nicer and brighter, the merging of emeralds and sapphires can make it a bit crowded. Never, ever, did I find a crowd in the old one.
+1 on the food and champagne. The old FL, IMHO, had great food offerings and solid beverage offerings. Not sure what swill is being served in the ORD FL now, but I've heard that it's no longer Tattinger. The old FL was always quiet and felt more "exclusive." While the new one is clearly nicer structurally, the soft cuts are rather obvious.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by brewdog11
+1 on the food and champagne. The old FL, IMHO, had great food offerings and solid beverage offerings. Not sure what swill is being served in the ORD FL now, but I've heard that it's no longer Tattinger. The old FL was always quiet and felt more "exclusive." While the new one is clearly nicer structurally, the soft cuts are rather obvious.
I just want to make sure we're talking about the same old FL by K19. That was a dump.
smitty06 and bse118 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
I just suspect as AA continues to divest at ORD as a mainline hub (it slowly becoming a RJ hub), and especially as a TPAC hub, the FL will go back to its old status as a meeting room.
I suspect your sentiment is very much out of this world... Unless Queen Alia (the airport, not HRH ) has been moved to Chicago and IL has been annexed by the Hashemite kingdom. It would be as logical to suggest ORD becoming a QR, AY or BA hub for that matter.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
They won't close it. Not with the (better) Polaris lounge available to those who would otherwise choose UA.

As someone else mentioned, this is a competitive move. It's not as much about the sheer quantity of pax using the FL.

The reason there was an FL in ORD long before PHL or CLT is because AA must compete in ORD. It's a market they cannot just roll over on.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Beyond unlikely that AA cnas its FL at ORD anytime it has international F service as a hub, Comparing to the olden days is not worthwhile nor is comparing to carriers which have created a niche market for themselves by offering a super premium lounge.

AA does differentiate within the FL by offering its seated dining with above top shelf liquor through FFD. That, of course, is available only to those traveling in AA international F (except for TCON F on its premium NYC routes). So, none of the riff raff there.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
AA does differentiate within the FL by offering its seated dining with above top shelf liquor through FFD. That, of course, is available only to those traveling in AA international F (except for TCON F on its premium NYC routes). So, none of the riff raff there.
There's no FFD at ORD, FYI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.