Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What is the "real" minimum check in time at CDG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)

I'll be flying AA 45 next week, CDG-JFK in business. A few days ago when I was looking at the reservation a warning popped up saying that we should check in four (4) hours prior to departure. That would come out to 7:50 AM which is a bit of a bother. We will be checking bags.

AA CDG regulars, what time would you recommend?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I'll be flying AA 45 next week, CDG-JFK in business. A few days ago when I was looking at the reservation a warning popped up saying that we should check in four (4) hours prior to departure. That would come out to 7:50 AM which is a bit of a bother. We will be checking bags.

AA CDG regulars, what time would you recommend?
Rules are 1 hour 15 minutes. Twice though, I have shown up at 1 hour and been checked in - once we were just late (unexpected traffic) and checking bags, once mobile app said I was checked in, but could not be given a BP (did not think the 75 minute cutoff applied as it clearly said I was checked in).

Both times an agent was able to get BPs issued and we made the flight. I honestly think the 75 minutes is because of the time needed for passport control, security, and walk to the gate, not necessarily a computer lock out, so they have leeway to check you in at a later deadline.
Landing Gear likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
75 minutes is the published deadline. Anything after that and you are at the mercy of the agent you deal with. That means at the counter and not in line. I would never rely on anecdotal variances which may have been permitted, particularly to others who may be CK/EXP.

Longer time periods are suggestions and that is entirely up to you.
Landing Gear likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Not going to lie - CDG can be a complete mess sometimes. It is worth going earlier than the minimum if you don't want to feel frazzled at all. I mean four hours sounds excessive; I usually aim for two so that there's still a few minutes for lounge time.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Using business class checkin from CDG for AA flights to the US, I don’t show up earlier than 120-135 minutes before scheduled departure. No way I would waste my time arriving there 4 hours before scheduled departure even on the busiest of times there unless there was a known special situation. Even 90-100 minutes has always worked for me there.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Often1
75 minutes is the published deadline. Anything after that and you are at the mercy of the agent you deal with. That means at the counter and not in line. I would never rely on anecdotal variances which may have been permitted, particularly to others who may be CK/EXP.

Totally agree, hence why I mentioned the actual cutoff.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA lifetime plat 2.5 million
I've done CDG/PHL 4 times over the past 6 months. I aim for arrival 2 hours prior and usually have 30-45 minutes to use 1 of the 4 lounges that are in the same area for oneworld airlines. I travel J or PE with no checked bags.

The last 2 times, I received the dreaded SSSS on my boarding pass and needed to do the secondary inspection routine. If you are traveling J, you have the initial priority screening; if you travel in PE, you have the initial regular screening. Regular screening can easily take 45-60 minutes if you are in the morning queue. The secondary screening requires you to be "at the gate" 60minutes before departure time. They opened everything in my 2 carryon bags and did a very thorough search. They (CDG security staff) assured me that my selection was completely a random computer generated choice. I am lifetime platinum with Global Entry. My point in mentioning this is that, in J once and PE once, I still was selected. If you get SSSS on your boarding pass, tough luck for you. If you arrived later than 2 hours prior, you may have little or no lounge time, especially in coach.

The first warning sign of "winning" the security lottery is that you will not be able to generate a pre-printed or mobile boarding pass if you check in via computer or phone. Allow extra time if that happens.

The first time I "won" enhanced security, I arrived at the gate about 35 minutes prior to departure and just cleared the extra security before the gate "closed." The culprit was a bottle of "5-hour energy" in my briefcase, which I had forgotten about. This engendered an even more stringent source which uncovered a shampoo sample from the hotel. That are quite serious about security.

Everyone has their own comfort level with airport security. Mine suggests to me that I arrive 2 hours early.
GUWonder and whimsey21 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:36 am

As long as your plane is on time then you should be fine...
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Last Tuesday we tried for two hours. We had some time to spend with finding and using the Pablo machines and also because the signage was not completely clear. However, the purple pass with the big number 1 on it was great. We made the flight with no problems.

I know there is another thread somewhere but we also had to get on a bus and then walk in the rain. Something Special on the Ground.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
fwiw -- I've flown out of CDG 4 times over the past 18 months or so. I've always had a mobile boarding pass and have not had checked bags. Each time, I was in the lounge within 30 minutes of leaving the Sheraton (which I do recommend for the convenience in the morning).

Originally Posted by phillyjoe
I've done CDG/PHL 4 times over the past 6 months. I aim for arrival 2 hours prior and usually have 30-45 minutes to use 1 of the 4 lounges that are in the same area for oneworld airlines. I travel J or PE with no checked bags.
But you can only access two of those using OW status...right? Or am I missing something.

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I know there is another thread somewhere but we also had to get on a bus and then walk in the rain. Something Special on the Ground.
This is really a bad ground experience. You wait forever for the bus to fill, and then have to schlep your luggage up the stairs in the middle of a mad rush of people. Like you, I had to do this in the rain once, even less fun. You get on the plane and just feel all icky.
Landing Gear likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Ftbat
Not going to lie - CDG can be a complete mess sometimes. It is worth going earlier than the minimum if you don't want to feel frazzled at all. I mean four hours sounds excessive; I usually aim for two so that there's still a few minutes for lounge time.
This.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.