Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unbelievable aa reply to account closure for fraudulent credit card use

Unbelievable aa reply to account closure for fraudulent credit card use

Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
After a year has passed, it's too late to get a refund or to use a credit toward future travel.

Yes, but how is that at all relevant to any of this?
Often1 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
OP may want to delete this thread, otherwise it seems like a slam dunk case if they actually want to collect on their $60k and OP is on here admitting to it all.
My first thought when reading the post was "At least the OP admitted to fraud upfront. Now it won't take 25 pages of Flyertalkers coaxing the truth out little by little."
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jmastron
I think AA's position here is pretty simple -- OP agreed to purchase nonrefundable tickets and owed the amount agreed to. The fact that OP gave an invalid credit card number makes it harder for AA to collect, but doesn't change that agreement.
Well, maybe, though the original post is anything but clear. Say this was the case. AA selling $68,000 (!) of tickets over three years (!) on a defunct credit card without them noticing either? Come on.

I don't think anyone knows the actual situation and the OP was anything but eloquent on what happened. Various cases which might be more accurate are posed but it's hard to understand how AA lost all this money and what the purpose of this so-called fraud would be.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:41 am
Suspended

While I certainly cannot say if the OP's story is his own or not, I definitely -can- say it's a very credible story, doesn't strike me as uncredible in any way, this is a real thing.

Again, can't say if the OP is the one this actually happened to (no reason to assume not, so far, that I can see,) but as far if the story itself passed "the smell test" or whatever-- it definitely does.
smitty06, Often1, dciolli and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Normally a pending charge falls off a credit card after about a week and needs to be re-authorized. I'm not sure AA could even put post a charge on a credit card three or four weeks after the "purchase" without the credit card owner giving permission again.
It’s still quite possible that AA has config’d things on their end where certain types of credit card errors result in the ticket being stuck indefinitely in queue limbo without even a pending card charge posting. I know this has happened to me in the past with award tickets when I’ve done a miles redeposit and new award booking all on one call, and the system tries to pull miles before the redeposit is complete.

It sounds like OP didn’t even have a valid card on which to put pending charges. This is a system vulnerability on AA’s part but that doesn’t make intentionally exploiting that vulnerability okay. If I leave my front door unlocked, that doesn’t mean people are allowed to burglarize me.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Reminds me of an old post in the Account Audit thread where poster was caught reserving, but not paying for F seats to ensure their upgrade cleared (or something along those lines). Even had a similar $ demand from AA.
HofstraJet likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AA100k
Three years, $68K in flights - one is left to wonder how many other passengers were screwed out of flights that were on hold and cancelled. Also wondering if others engaged in this sceme?
Exactly. Or other pax weren't able to get the flight they wanted because the OP was "holding" multiple flights and had to pick a different one that cost a lot more.

Life isn't that hard:
Step 1: Don't be a douche.
Step 2: See step 1.
dciolli and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by bosman
Reminds me of an old post in the Account Audit thread where poster was caught reserving, but not paying for F seats to ensure their upgrade cleared (or something along those lines). Even had a similar $ demand from AA.
Making duplicate reservations to use up space for someone already on the same flight will likely cause one or both to be cancelled so it's hard to understand how that works. Also back to the $68,000 amount, assuming they were all not F tickets last minute to Asia or South America it does make you wonder how useless AA is is allowing this to happen.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Making duplicate reservations to use up space for someone already on the same flight will likely cause one or both to be cancelled so it's hard to understand how that works.
They use fake names, used to be quite common.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
They use fake names, used to be quite common.
So this guy is the co-conspirator? Using his real account and (OK admittedly, useless) credit card seems to cast a quick light on his shenanigans. Someone else benefited? Real person using his real account to block tickets for a fake person is not going to work. I agree Joe Schmo sets up an AA account and books F tickets to somehow make this fellow the beneficiary of the space but he's not said that at all.

I think we are short of facts and the OP has never come back to explain the situation better.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:39 am
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
So this guy is the co-conspirator? Using his real account and (OK admittedly, useless) credit card seems to cast a quick light on his shenanigans. Someone else benefited? Real person using his real account to block tickets for a fake person is not going to work. I agree Joe Schmo sets up an AA account and books F tickets to somehow make this fellow the beneficiary of the space but he's not said that at all.
NO, nothing to do with what you asked/what I answered, it was a tangential situation another poster brought up, NOT the OP's situation/scheme at all.

Slow down and read, please.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:47 am

Buying something with an invalid credit card is certainly fraud; but how can a major corporation not have protections in place against such fraud? If I buy a one-of-a-kind item from Amazon and give a invalid credit card, they're not going to hold that item for me in the hope that I'll pay for it some day.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Bottom line, if one hits the "purchase" button, one owes AA for the ticket unless one has made other arrangements (generally not available to consumer purchasers).
That's a bold statement with nothing to substantiate it.

To the more general point: this seems to match a general problem of AA's systems being unable to do pretty basic things (in this case authorize a credit card? I build an online system to do that in 1999, so I'm quite confident this is not an unsolved computer science problem) and then blaming their customers when things go wrong.

But I also agree OP doesn't really have any recourse. Sounds like it would be better to fly on other airlines from now on.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I really don't think the OP knew what he was getting into here when he posted his first thread as a new member about fraud.

I'm sure after reading our responses he won't be back.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Seems hard to maintain a defense. If OP had a card he KNEW was cancelled, why leave it in his profile? Why go through the rigmarole of having to receiving the email from AA and then call in to book with an alternate card if not simply for the reason of holding the tickets for an extended period and/or to not ultimately ticket it?

What's more interesting is that OP feels the need to come here as a new poster and share his dirty laundry - as if we were going to support his ongoing ploy?
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.