Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unbelievable aa reply to account closure for fraudulent credit card use

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unbelievable aa reply to account closure for fraudulent credit card use

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by nk15
It sounds like they are seeking lost revenue for not being able to sell these tickets that were stuck in limbo for a few weeks. This seems subjective and a bit messy, whose fault is it, how do you calculate any damages, probably not enforceable anyway...
It sounds like the OP clicked "purchase" but the purchase ultimately didn't go through because the credit card was invalid.

If that's the case, damages are really easy. It's not really lost revenue for the tickets stuck in limbo; it's the purchase price of the tickets.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
My guess would be AA does not expect to recover any money from OP nor do they sincerely believe their direct damages in lost revenue approach the numbers quoted. Instead, this looks to me like they noticed a persistent pattern of dodgy and obnoxious behavior from OP and essentially washed their hands of them as a customer. The dollar amount quoted is probably just the lump sum of all unpaid tickets that were purchased, and the settlement amount is essentially what OP would have to pay to return to neutral ground as a customer in AA’s eyes.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by mcrw00
My guess would be AA does not expect to recover any money from OP nor do they sincerely believe their direct damages in lost revenue approach the numbers quoted. Instead, this looks to me like they noticed a persistent pattern of dodgy and obnoxious behavior from OP and essentially washed their hands of them as a customer. The dollar amount quoted is probably just the lump sum of all unpaid tickets that were purchased, and the settlement amount is essentially what OP would have to pay to return to neutral ground as a customer in AA’s eyes.
yes, so that’s how they probably think, and came up with a compromise.
It sounds like a learning experience for both sides and for the bystanders... He can probably still use online OTAs to book AA and credit to BA though, right?

Last edited by nk15; Apr 1, 2019 at 11:45 pm
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, you committed fraud multiple times and you are upset by their poor customer communication?

Oh, gee, I feel bad for you.
roberto99, clbish, CPRich and 19 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If I am reading this correctly, over the course of 3 years, you have been deliberately booking flights as a member whilst using an invalid credit card and now AA has stated that it does not want you as a member

Booking once or twice using an invalid card could be accidental ; this seems that it was deliberate

If this is the case, not sure why you think that AA's actions are unfair
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Let’s not mince words. You knew exactly what you were doing. You taunted the bull for three years and finally got the horns.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
It sounds like you may have committed fraud, although their calculation for damages is questionable. Flexible tickets are generally priced higher than a normal or saver ticket, therefore you have found an unethical way to leverage some flexibility. It would be prudent to determine how close to departure some of the trips have 'cancelled' and if any have cancelled on the day of departure or through no show?
You probably should contact them in writing with a good explanation or perhaps contact a lawyer and spend a few hundred dollars for them to draft an appropriate letter for you.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I’m not buying the ‘babe in the woods’ routine.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
If you for some reason really want to keep your aadvantage account I suggest you tell them that you pay the amount as prepaid airpass so you get to actually use the value in travel. They might bite. Though hard to see the value here unless you have millions of unused miles in your account.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: UA
I am struggling to understand how someone could think it was acceptable to an airline to have an invalid credit card on file in order to hold tickets and the fares. And then complain it took 3 years for the airline to detect the problem.

With over a hundred million passengers annually it takes time for unusual behavior to be detected.

I would not like my clients to give me a deposit by check on a closed account so I block out time for a project but they want to continue to shop around or change their mind while I hold the time for them.

How could this behavior be rationalized?

Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:26 am

I think AA's position here is pretty simple -- OP agreed to purchase nonrefundable tickets and owed the amount agreed to. The fact that OP gave an invalid credit card number makes it harder for AA to collect, but doesn't change that agreement. Not really much different than if OP gave a store a forged $100 bill for nonreturnable products, planning to either come back and exchange it for a valid $100 if he really wants to keep them, or to just say "Sorry, here's your nonreturnable product back" instead of paying.
FAA1996, jinglish and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
The stove is hot. Don't touch. Don't touch. Don't touch.You touched. I think it's interesting that AA has put a price ($21k) on continuing it's relationship with you. AA and their customers continue to find unique ways to get under each other's skin. That's gotta be worth sort of new award decal on the side of the plane.
AAway, SFO777, bchandler02 and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Just wondering .... April 1, a new poster, the drama in the account audit thread ....hmmmh
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by AA100k

Agree with this. Hard to imagine how these flights were held or purchased with an invalid card.
This. (And I'm sure I am not the only one that is highly suspicious of this story)

You knew you cancelled the credit card, why not update your account with your new payment method and avoid this issue? All of this could be avoided with a small amount of personal responsibility.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Just wondering .... April 1, a new poster, the drama in the account audit thread ....hmmmh
Perhaps Donald trump has morphed into a new FT username

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.