Crazy Pricing? (PDX-FCO 3x PHL-FCO)

Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro
Crazy Pricing? (PDX-FCO 3x PHL-FCO)

I found a SWU from PHL-FCO in october for my wife and myself. But my home airport is PDX.
the pricing is asl follows
PHL-FCO $1200
DFW-PHL-FCO $1400
PDX-DFW-PHL-FCO $3600

Not sure why the price almost triples from PDX and yet I can book a RT from PDX-DFW for about $275 and make the connection to PHL.

Thoughts are appreciated.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Because PDX-FCO is not the same as PDX-PHL or PHL-FCO or the sum of the two.
Often1, BearX220, wrp96 and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by tfizzle
I found a SWU from PHL-FCO in october for my wife and myself. But my home airport is PDX.
PHL-FCO $1200
DFW-PHL-FCO $1400
PDX-DFW-PHL-FCO $3600

Not sure why the price almost triples from PDX and yet I can book a RT from PDX-DFW for about $275 and make the connection to PHL.

PDX is a smaller market. Sometimes booking flights multicity may help, or you may just have to book it as two tickets. I often have flights from my SW city that are double to Asia, compared to SAN/LAX or SFO.
tfizzle likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by tfizzle
PHL-FCO $1200
DFW-PHL-FCO $1400
PDX-DFW-PHL-FCO $3600

This is not crazy pricing, it's standard revenue management. Ticket prices are based on origin and destination, so it's entirely possible that the base fare for PDX-FCO is much higher than for DFW-FCO. It's also possible that there is a discount PDX-FCO fare but the proposed connection points are not allowed on that fare (or there are too many segments, exceeding the maximum permitted mileage, etc). Everything I mentioned is speculation of course, but there's lots of reasons why this can happen.

So book the separate ticket if that's the itinerary you want... it's not against the rules.
tfizzle, BearX220, C17PSGR and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by wetrat0
This is not crazy pricing, it's standard revenue management. Ticket prices are based on origin and destination, so it's entirely possible that the base fare for PDX-FCO is much higher than for DFW-FCO. It's also possible that there is a discount PDX-FCO fare but the proposed connection points are not allowed on that fare (or there are too many segments, exceeding the maximum permitted mileage, etc). Everything I mentioned is speculation of course, but there's lots of reasons why this can happen.

So book the separate ticket if that's the itinerary you want... it's not against the rules.
if you book a separate ticket and it’s all on aa or one world you are protected in case of misconnect so no risk here. Just make sure you meet legal MCT
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Perhaps this ought to be merged with the several hundred threads, some old and some new, raising the same question about some other route on some carrier. The answer is and will remain the same it has been for the past 25+ years, e.g. that carriers do not price per mile, but rather by market.

Put simply, AA believes that someone will buy that $3,600 ticket. Or it can sell the component parts of that ticket, e.g. PDF-PHL and PHL-FCO for more.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
If you call AA they can do revenue + award tickets in one PNR allowing baggage to get checked through. Might be a good option.
tfizzle likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Because PDX-FCO is not the same as PDX-PHL or PHL-FCO or the sum of the two.
Only in the twisted brain of airline revenue management folks.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by javabytes

Only in the twisted brain of airline revenue management folks.
​​​​​​Makes sense to me. You want to fly from Portland to Rome that's an entirely different market and value proposoprop than Portland to Philadelphia or Philadelphia to Rome. Many industries base prices in what consumers are willing to pay rather than raw cost. E.g. Spotify, netflix, etc
writerguyfl and USFlyerUS like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
​​​​​​Makes sense to me. You want to fly from Portland to Rome that's an entirely different market and value proposoprop than Portland to Philadelphia or Philadelphia to Rome. Many industries base prices in what consumers are willing to pay rather than raw cost. E.g. Spotify, netflix, etc
It’s not.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:04 am

It’s not.
Your response makes no sense. What does "it" refer to?

Oh, different value proposition? Ok. Sure, PDX-PHL is the same as PDX-FCO. Sure.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gateH15

if you book a separate ticket and it’s all on aa or one world you are protected in case of misconnect so no risk here. Just make sure you meet legal MCT
Is this right? I thought OW obliterated that policy a few years back. You're saying I can still book separate tickets on OW airlines and have protection against misconnects? For example, if I book:

Tix 1 = PDX - DFW
Tic 2 = DFW - FCO.

And then if I miss the connection from DFW - FCO, AA will rebook me? I don't think this is right anymore.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by DCAFly
Is this right? I thought OW obliterated that policy a few years back. You're saying I can still book separate tickets on OW airlines and have protection against misconnects? For example, if I book:

Tix 1 = PDX - DFW
Tic 2 = DFW - FCO.

And then if I miss the connection from DFW - FCO, AA will rebook me? I don't think this is right anymore.
OW won't protect you, but AA will. It's an AA policy for OW bookings, so even if misconnect is not purely AA but one of the sectors is AA they will protect you
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your response makes no sense. What does "it" refer to?

Oh, different value proposition? Ok. Sure, PDX-PHL is the same as PDX-FCO. Sure.
The example is that PDX-DFW + DFW-PHL-FCO != PDX-DFW-PHL-FCO.

It’s the same as saying you can buy a hamburger, and you can buy a slice of American cheese, but if you want a cheeseburger, that’s an entirely different value proposition and it will cost you 3x as much as buying the hamburger and slice of cheese separately.
tfizzle and donotblink like this.

Last edited by javabytes; Mar 27, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:46 pm

The example is that PDX-DFW + DFW-PHL-FCO != PDX-DFW-PHL-FCO.

It’s the same as saying you can buy a hamburger, and you can buy a slice of American cheese, but if you want a cheeseburger, that’s an entirely different value proposition and it will cost you 3x as much as buying the hamburger and slice of cheese separately.
Yes. Correct.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.