Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is this another AA IT fail? (Paid ticket = “pay at airport”)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:12 pm
Formerly known as billinaz
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors

I happened to look at my reservation and saw this. The tickets are paid for already and the status says ticketed.

Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you called reservations what did they say?
JonNYC, CPRich, adunker and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
When you called reservations what did they say?
still, isnt it ridiculous that one has to?

I work in IT and I cannot understand how AA can have constant issues with basic data retrieval.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Antarius
still, isnt it ridiculous that one has to?

I work in IT and I cannot understand how AA can have constant issues with basic data retrieval.
Because GDS & ticketing systems aren't necessarily basic data retrieval. It's not going to be some simple DB lookup. Most likely there are multiple processes going on here, and if anything seems wrong it's going to ask the customer to call in to straighten things out.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by adunker
Because GDS & ticketing systems aren't necessarily basic data retrieval. It's not going to be some simple DB lookup. Most likely there are multiple processes going on here, and if anything seems wrong it's going to ask the customer to call in to straighten things out.
I agree it isn't select * from reservations where PNR = 'ABCDEF', but it still is data retrieval of static data.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP posted here without even calling AA. Could me many things, including a CC denial which might be an IT fail by his card issuer (bank) and have nothing to do with AA whatsoever.

I'm not sure what the value of starting a thread and then following it with endless speculation focused on how other databases work in other industries is helpful.

Hopefully OP will report back after he has his answer.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
I figured that any department I would need to talk to would be closed when I discovered this.

I called this AM and the first person I talked to saw no issues with my reservation and it was paid.

She transferred me to another department and it has a hold time of 57 minutes..... so I sit and wait.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:00 am
Original Poster

After an hour, I got the call back.

We went through several log off/log on cycles.

Then looking at the reservation without logging in (using my name and PNR) does not show this message.

They said it was because it was linked to my Google calendar and that's why the message appears.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill

Then looking at the reservation without logging in (using my name and PNR) does not show this message.

They said it was because it was linked to my Google calendar and that's why the message appears.
Have gotten the same message and been through the same steps, but the Google calendar explanation was never given to me. I can't see how that makes sense- the automated Google Calendar inputs happen because Gmail pulls data from your reservation email and creates a Calendar event. I don't see any way that Gmail/Calendar would send any data back to AA that would cause any database issues when AA shows you the reservation.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
There are multiple reasons for things like this.
  • mixed class of service and they have to verbally clear with you that you know and acknowledge
  • change of routes/timings/partner airlines
  • no longer non stop but now requires connections
  • update contact info like cell phone etc
etc etc. You misinterpret the message to mean you have to pay at the airport. No, what they want you to do is contact reservations to confirm one of those components that are preventing ticketing.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Likely there was some kind of fail within the reservation but not one that prevented ticketing. Unfortunately error messages often do not convey the real cause of the issue.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:18 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill

There is absolutely no way linking to your Google Calendar caused any issues. If AA is reading from Google Calendar as a data source I expect planes to fall from the sky any day now.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
  • mixed class of service and they have to verbally clear with you that you know and acknowledge
etc etc. You misinterpret the message to mean you have to pay at the airport. No, what they want you to do is contact reservations to confirm one of those components that are preventing ticketing.
I'm not sure if I call it a misinterpretation when the error message itself starts with "Please pay at the airport." A better response would be "Your reservation might be f'd up, please set aside 3 hours from your day and call reservations"
Air Houston and ashill like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen

None of that happened. And according to the webpage the status was ticketed. (June of last year)

Bottom line was they had no clue. And the Google calendar reasoning was laughable.

Last edited by SpaceCoastBill; Apr 1, 2019 at 2:03 pm
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyAA
I'm not sure if I call it a misinterpretation when the error message itself starts with "Please pay at the airport." A better response would be "Your reservation might be f'd up, please set aside 3 hours from your day and call reservations"

Exxxxactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.