Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Passport Check on Domestic Connecting Leg After International Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport Check on Domestic Connecting Leg After International Flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.6 MM
Without doubt, this requires compensation. The NERVE of a gate agent, asking a passenger to verify their identity...what is this world coming to?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
There are numerous FT reports of PHL-BUF passengers being denied boarding at PHL for not having a passport with them? Where are those numerous FT reports?
No, there are numerous FT reports of passengers flying [departure airport in the US]-[connecting airport in the US]-[arrival airport outside the US] and being denied boarding at [departure airport in the US] for not having their passport. Not that I blame the airline, it's a hell of a lot more work for the airline to get the passenger home from [connecting airport in the US] rather than simply denying boarding at [departure airport in the US].
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
No, there are numerous FT reports of passengers flying [departure airport in the US]-[connecting airport in the US]-[arrival airport outside the US] and being denied boarding at [departure airport in the US] for not having their passport. Not that I blame the airline, it's a hell of a lot more work for the airline to get the passenger home from [connecting airport in the US] rather than simply denying boarding at [departure airport in the US].
That about which you are talking above is not an answer to my question to Often1, nor is it news to me.

I have done AA domestic flights to BUF to go get my passport on open jaw itineraries with the return/onward part of my trip being from Canada or elsewhere outside of the US. Never had a problem doing this.

Where are the numerous FT reports of AA denying anyone at domestic AA hubs from doing domestic AA hub to BUF flights because of a lack of a passport in hand when having other TSA-accepted ID for the domestic part of a ticketed itinerary? This question is about when the domestic flight to BUF does not use an X segment flight coupon connecting onward onto an international destination.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:16 pm

That about which you are talking above is not an answer to my question to Often1, nor is it news to me.

I have done AA domestic flights to BUF to go get my passport on open jaw itineraries with the return/onward part of my trip being from Canada or elsewhere outside of the US. Never had a problem doing this.

Where are the numerous FT reports of AA denying anyone at domestic AA hubs from doing domestic AA hub to BUF flights because of a lack of a passport in hand when having other TSA-accepted ID for the domestic part of a ticketed itinerary? This question is about when the domestic flight to BUF does not use an X segment flight coupon connecting onward onto an international destination.
For example, I have several times flown ABQ-SEA land connection YVR-ABQ. I have never been asked for my passport when boarding for the domestic ABQ-SEA leg of the trip. I would be very surprised if that were to happen, as GUWonder suggests. What if my passport is already in Seattle?

saunders111
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I think what Often1 is missing about my example (and is the same as saunders111's example) is that AA never FLEW me to a destination outside of the US.

I flew a purely domestic outbound (no passport required), and the next time AA saw me - days later - was when I showed up at YYZ for my return leg. AA never transported me to anywhere outside the US.

I wasn't required to have my passport with me until I was attempting to fly YYZ-USA. Technically, I am legally allowed to use my NEXUS card to fly YYZ-USA (although as a practical matter, many airlines demand a passport book at the gate).

Obviously this is a programming error (or more likely laziness), as it is clear that the computer triggers a passport check for any pax at their initial point of boarding if any part of the PNR contains a non-US airport.

I get the check when that leg of the itinerary contains a foreign airport so the pax don't get halfway there before AA realizes they cannot enter their destination country.

But how is this any different than if I was flying that open jaw as two separate PNRs? And the bigger question - what would have happened if I wasn't carrying my passport that day?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:04 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by danosu77
Without doubt, this requires compensation. The NERVE of a gate agent, asking a passenger to verify their identity...what is this world coming to?
But (enhanced) DL should be sufficient for this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:32 am
J S

Originally Posted by ezefllying
Some travelers may also put their passports in their checked luggage at post-customs baggage recheck. Obviously not a good idea, but I wouldn’t be shocked if a parent with her hands full puts the family passports in the checked bag for safekeeping.
I was on a recent international flight on a Dash-8. All rollaboards were gate checked. However, on arrival, we were told that all gate checked bags had been sent to baggage claim (which is after passport control). It made me wonder how they would deal with a passenger who had slipped his/her passport into their carryon.

J S
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by J S
I was on a recent international flight on a Dash-8. All rollaboards were gate checked. However, on arrival, we were told that all gate checked bags had been sent to baggage claim (which is after passport control). It made me wonder how they would deal with a passenger who had slipped his/her passport into their carryon.

J S
From which country was the flight departing and in which country did the flight arrive? There are some countries where I have seen the authorities claim a checked bag, with or without the passengers, so as to get access to checked-in travel documents for the passengers, and then the passengers were processed using material pulled from the checked-in luggage.

If a passenger claims to have left their passport on a plane still at the arrival gate or to have placed it in checked-in luggage of sorts, then efforts may be made by the authorities and/or the airline to recover the travel docs so as to be able to more easily process the passenger than to subject the person (and others) to the removal/deportation hassles and/or identity/citizenship verification using other means than ID in hand.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:25 pm
J S

From which country was the flight departing and in which country did the flight arrive? There are some countries where I have seen the authorities claim a checked bag, with or without the passengers, so as to get access to checked-in travel documents for the passengers, and then the passengers were processed using material pulled from the checked-in luggage.

If a passenger claims to have left their passport on a plane still at the arrival gate or to have placed it in checked-in luggage of sorts, then efforts may be made by the authorities and/or the airline to recover the travel docs so as to be able to more easily process the passenger than to subject the person (and others) to the removal/deportation hassles and/or identity/citizenship verification using other means than ID in hand.
US to Canada. The flight was into a tiny airport, so I expect they would have handled it as you suggest (someone claim the checked carryon and bring it to the passenger).
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
It's possible that Law Enforcement (of some kind) was looking for a specific person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.