Wiki Posts
Search

Strange denial of boarding on MAN-PHL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Well, that brings up an interesting question; is anyone here under the impression that the situation in the OP is very common/epidemic/etc?
I have been contacted by 2 others with the exact same case, all on inbound international flights and with early departures . One had a denied EC261 claim, one wasn't from europe, both times AA cited the 30 minute rule as a reason. (Both passengers gave up)

of course that doesnt make it very common, but it does show a pattern.
Happy likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Well, that brings up an interesting question; is anyone here under the impression that the situation in the OP is very common/epidemic/etc?
Perhaps I'm an unusual case, but when I'm returning from an international trip, I usually really want to get home. I get to the airport early. Check out a lounge (if there is one available). And I usually go to the gate ~15 before boarding is scheduled to begin. If it is a short trip/mileage run, I usually have a roller and backpack, so want to make sure they get stored.

When I was younger, I had several close calls with cutting things close with flights....until the one time when I did miss a flight. It would have been very close; I was heading to PHL, met a friend for lunch. Was driving to the airport, cruising along, when all of a sudden traffic on the road came to a standstill. I still needed to get gas, return the car, etc. I was making contingency plans, could skip the gas... Then I gave in, contacted a friend who worked for the airline (thankfully I had someone, no telling what the agents at PHL would have done), and I was put on the next flight.
After that experience, I've always been early.

I'm glad things worked out for the OP's friend, but I think most people are usually at the gate early.
JonNYC and TWA884 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
Perhaps I'm an unusual case, but when I'm returning from an international trip, I usually really want to get home. I get to the airport early. Check out a lounge (if there is one available). And I usually go to the gate ~15 before boarding is scheduled to begin. If it is a short trip/mileage run, I usually have a roller and backpack, so want to make sure they get stored.

When I was younger, I had several close calls with cutting things close with flights....until the one time when I did miss a flight. It would have been very close; I was heading to PHL, met a friend for lunch. Was driving to the airport, cruising along, when all of a sudden traffic on the road came to a standstill. I still needed to get gas, return the car, etc. I was making contingency plans, could skip the gas... Then I gave in, contacted a friend who worked for the airline (thankfully I had someone, no telling what the agents at PHL would have done), and I was put on the next flight.
After that experience, I've always been early.
Fine, but that’s all irrelevant here.
ijgordon, Happy, deeruck and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

Fine, but that’s all irrelevant here.
One part of the question was, are there many people who wait until the last second to board the aircraft?

It sounds like there are some who do willingly wait. Some people are running late, for whatever reason (traffic, connecting flights, etc). But my guess is that most people are indeed at the gate early.
JonNYC and TWA884 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
One part of the question was, are there many people who wait until the last second to board the aircraft?

It sounds like there are some who do willingly wait. Some people are running late, for whatever reason (traffic, connecting flights, etc). But my guess is that most people are indeed at the gate early.
I don’t think that was the question. The question was are there many people *who are denied boarding* even though they show up *before* the published gate close time, because the gate has closed *early*.

As it happens I’m one of the last minute people, but I have never been denied boarding in such circumstances - and I would undoubtedly have claimed (and won) if I had.

[ETA: since Jon has liked your post I take it he did indeed mean your interpretation of his question- rather than the way I read it! But in any case the OP’s situation is the one I’m talking about!]
JonNYC, ijgordon, Happy and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Apr 6, 2019 at 6:27 am
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:48 am
Suspended

Little of both.

Main point being that the number of these, exact, situations is tiny -and- in some cases waiting for a probable no-show results in an empty seat going out that could have been filled. That’s in fact more common than this and costs € too.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Little of both.

Main point being that the number of these, exact, situations is tiny -and- in some cases waiting for a probable no-show results in an empty seat going out that could have been filled. That’s in fact more common than this and costs € too.

I don't know as we don't see a lot of complaints here. On the other hand, in my last experience, the gate agents didn't appear to be remotely apologetic that I was at the gate 15 minutes before departure for a once a day flight. So ... I'm guessing they've done this before.

In the case of OP, I thought the GA's could see where the person checked in? i.e., the airport or online. One would think its unlikely for someone to check in at the airport and no show, although it probably happens a lot for online check-in. And, I'm used to hearing GA's page missing passengers which also suggests this may not be typical.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
In the case of OP, I thought the GA's could see where the person checked in? i.e., the airport or online. One would think its unlikely for someone to check in at the airport and no show, although it probably happens a lot for online check-in. And, I'm used to hearing GA's page missing passengers which also suggests this may not be typical.
Unsure about MAN, but for flights from LHR, an airline can also see that the passenger has gone through security. So for someone who checked-in online, and never went to a check-in desk, its still possible for the airline to see that they are more than likely in the airport (and airside) as they went through security
SunkissedMommy likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
One would think its unlikely for someone to check in at the airport and no show, although it probably happens a lot for online check-in. And, I'm used to hearing GA's page missing passengers which also suggests this may not be typical.
It may be less common for at-airport-check-in passengers but it happens a bunch for at-airport check-in passengers too. The GA pages for missing passengers come up for both kind of checked in passengers. Last few times where I knew some of my at-airport-check-in travel party members weren’t yet certain to make it to the airport on time to get to the departing flight on time, the check-in agents and/or the gate agents said they would appreciate an update as soon as possible about which (if any) of the checked-in additional travel party members wouldn’t make it on time for departure. It seemed that the agents had enough experience of such kind of situations that they made it a point to ask me to remember to inform the gate agents as soon as I knew for sure what was going to end up with the additional checked-in passengers. [The unfortunate take away from these kind of experiences is that being early in providing this no-show information to help the airline may backfire at least in terms of passenger comfort level.]
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Unsure about MAN, but for flights from LHR, an airline can also see that the passenger has gone through security. So for someone who checked-in online, and never went to a check-in desk, its still possible for the airline to see that they are more than likely in the airport (and airside) as they went through security
It’s possible to have an originating ticket from MAN or LHR and reach the departing gate areas at these airports without having had the MAN/LHR-departing boarding pass scanned and without having the airline know if the passenger had (yet) cleared or even approached the MAN/LHR security screening checkpoints.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dflanagin
I have been contacted by 2 others with the exact same case, all on inbound international flights and with early departures . One had a denied EC261 claim, one wasn't from europe, both times AA cited the 30 minute rule as a reason. (Both passengers gave up)

of course that doesnt make it very common, but it does show a pattern.
Based on AA's on Terms and Conditions, it seems the required time is clearly 10 minutes.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

It’s possible to have an originating ticket from MAN or LHR and reach the departing gate areas at these airports without having had the MAN/LHR-departing boarding pass scanned and without having the airline know if the passenger had (yet) cleared or even approached the MAN/LHR security screening checkpoints.
Alright, I’ll bite. How would you get to the gate at LHR T5* without having your boarding pass scanned?

*Though I believe all terminals now have “conformance.”
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by mvoight
Based on AA's on Terms and Conditions, it seems the required time is clearly 10 minutes.

based upon a lot of FT comments, boarding is happening early whether you want it to or not. even on international flights.

Stop the early boarding (D0) stupidity
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Djokison

Alright, I’ll bite. How would you get to the gate at LHR T5* without having your boarding pass scanned?

Unsure about T5, but its possible at T2.

2 separate itineraries/tickets, DUB-LHR (EI) and LHR-YYZ (AC). Check in for both online. Arrive into T2 off the EI flight, go through the T2 transiting passengers security screening, no boarding pass needed. Then at the EU "immigration" desk you can get through there without an onward boarding pass and no need to show your passport due to coming from Ireland. You can arrive at T2B gates with your boarding pass from online check-in, without having it scanned at security, so essentially they would not be aware if you were in the airport or not
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Djokison

Even a conformance check doesn’t necessarily involve an ID check of the passenger approaching the security screening checkpoint. Nor does the conformance check note if the passenger has actually cleared a LHR passenger screening checkpoint. For example, at T5, coming in from landside, getting to the T5 Gates is possible without any ID verification of the actual passenger approaching, or being screened at, the screening checkpoint. There is usually some ID verification going on at the departure gates, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the person who shows up at the gate used their own boarding pass to do the conformance check when coming in from landside at LHRT5 after say a night at the Sofitel LHR@T5.

T2 example was provided earlier.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 7, 2019 at 5:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.