Strange denial of boarding on MAN-PHL

Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:13 am

Here from Reddit too!

Good work OP!
dflanagin likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Let no compensation offer stop your DOT complaint!
dflanagin likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by moondog
Unlike most FTers, I always try to board at the last possible minute because I always check my bag, and I prefer waiting in the terminal, as opposed to inside the metal tube. I do, however, show up at the gate area at T-30, and make my presence (and intentions) known to the GAs.

The bottom line is that if the BP says "10 minutes", that is pretty much gospel. Since your friend met this requirement, I believe he has a solid case for IDB compensation.
Just out of curiosity, why in the world?

I find sitting on the plane to be as comfortable most of the time as being off the plane. I get overhead space for my luggage. etc etc.

I truly cannot understand this mindset (it is ok that you have it, just can't understand). Whether we are boarding group 1, 1st class, or 4, economy, I'm in line and ready to go. Different strokes I guess.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen

I find sitting on the plane to be as comfortable most of the time as being off the plane. I get overhead space for my luggage. etc etc.

I truly cannot understand this mindset (it is ok that you have it, just can't understand). Whether we are boarding group 1, 1st class, or 4, economy, I'm in line and ready to go. Different strokes I guess.
I never worry about bin space because I always check my bag.

Bus gates are pretty common here, and the last bus is a short bus with actual seats.

Since bus gates don't have power, the aircon doesn't work very well.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL PM
I also often wait to board until the end if I don't have luggage that needs to go in the bins. I spend too much time on planes as it is, so am in no hurry to get on ASAP!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Carl Christensen

I find sitting on the plane to be as comfortable most of the time as being off the plane.
This seems like...an unusual opinion. Can you really not understand why someone would be more comfortable off a plane than on a plane?
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SamOF
This seems like...an unusual opinion. Can you really not understand why someone would be more comfortable off a plane than on a plane?
I can see that but at the same time I also recognize that many people feel otherwise (see gate lice/boarding scrum). Either way its a personal preference and neither option, boarding as soon as you can or waiting until the end of boarding, is an invalid choice. A passengers personal preference for when to board, so as long as they choose a time that's in compliance with the policies that AA and the customer agree to w/r/t CoC, is also not really relevant to the topic at hand IMO.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by ryan182
A passengers personal preference for when to board, so as long as they choose a time that's in compliance with the policies that AA and the customer agree to w/r/t CoC
if only AA saw things this way...
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Update: Still no response from American Airlines, however my school’s press office reached out for comment and they just said: “we are sorry for inconvenience caused to Mr. Mascarenas and we are investigating the situation.” The NQ followed up to clarify what rule enabled the cancelling of Matt’s reservation, to which we have received crickets.

On the other side of things: the story has been syndicated and commented on everywhere all over the world; Vietnam, Australia, China, Europe, parts of the US, more every day. Hundreds of thousands of reads.

I did find this curious document, it’s a grid of all US carriers CoC restrictions/rules. Take a close look at AA’s required gate time....

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.smart...uide_10_31.pdf
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE: They have offered Matt $2000, he is waiting until he speaks with an attorney to make a decision.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:31 pm

What is the need for an attorney ? the amount that he is due is quite easily calculable and it either meets the requirements under EC261 or ir doesnt
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dflanagin
UPDATE: They have offered Matt $2000, he is waiting until he speaks with an attorney to make a decision.
I think that sounds reasonable and is likely more than he's legally due, EC261 would be 600EUR plus the money they charged him (~$300) would be about $1000.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by dflanagin
That seems like a good offer to me.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
What's the question? $2000 cash is clearly more than was due via EU regulation and the cost of rebooking. Take it and move on. IANAL, but I can't imagine any attorney would advise him that he could somehow get more than the already more that has been offered which is more than to which he is entitled.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ryan182
I think that sounds reasonable and is likely more than he's legally due, EC261 would be 600EUR plus the money they charged him (~$300) would be about $1000.
You forgot what his UK attorney % (sorry OP couldnt let it pass,LoL, but everyone should have a friend to look out for them even 20% as good you have).

$2k more then makes him whole and leaves him with some extra $$, Id take it and move on

OP nice going!
moondog and dflanagin like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.