FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Des Moines, IA to Barcelona in August (MileSAAver awards) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1962979-des-moines-ia-barcelona-august-milesaaver-awards.html)

Gspliler Mar 28, 2019 11:34 am

Des Moines, IA to Barcelona in August (MileSAAver awards)

We are planning a family vacation to Spain in August, i itially planning 6th - 17th. Found flights at 30,000 points each way. Looked again today, no more flights at 30,000. This seemed to also happen to flights going to other places in Europe. Seems to be an issues with the return flight. We arent absolutely set on Barcelona, or Spain for that matter, just want to hit some beaches Any suggestions on any good mileage deals, or, at least ones that are 60,000 round trip? I read some comments elsewhere that American does a bad job of posting partner flights. Is this a route i should look at; finding partner flights and calling AA?

Thanks!

3Cforme Mar 28, 2019 12:58 pm

Look at the route maps of AA and Iberia for beach-proximate airports. Keep searching.

lobo411 Mar 28, 2019 1:35 pm

Book the trip as two one-ways.

mvoight Mar 28, 2019 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411 (Post 30940150)
Book the trip as two one-ways.

But one way paid flights on AA or IB are often more than the cost of a round trip

OP: Why a beach vacation in Europe? I understand going to Europe for a variety of reasons, but not really the beaches.

ntamayo Mar 28, 2019 3:29 pm

You can open jaw with a MAD-DSM return, plenty of 30k options.

Both Barcelona (3hrs) and Valencia (2hrs) are doable coastal cities by train to Madrid.

Mwenenzi Mar 28, 2019 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Gspliler (Post 30939678)
We are planning a family vacation to Spain in August, initially planning 6th - 17th. Found flights at 30,000 points each way. Looked again today, no more flights at 30,000. This seemed to also happen to flights going to other places in Europe. Seems to be an issues with the return flight. We aren't absolutely set on Barcelona, or Spain for that matter, just want to hit some beaches
Any suggestions on any good mileage deals, or, at least ones that are 60,000 round trip? I read some comments elsewhere that American does a bad job of posting partner flights. Is this a route I should look at; finding partner flights and calling AA?!

Look for MAD Madrid, then a train.
You do not need to return by the same route. 2 one way awards may be better.
How many people are wanting awards for?
If the 30,000 file awards were on BA (in full or part) will have an award surcharge

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30939992)
Look at the route maps of AA and Iberia for beach-proximate airports. Keep searching.

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

BA IB----> Help avoid YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia) (master thread)

IB--->Flying IB / Iberia: seat, ticket, PNR, earning, award issues (consolidated)

AA to Europe---> Where exactly does AA fly to Europe? Which routes have good business seats?