Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-BOS cut?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas
JFK-BOS cut?

I've had JFK-BOS booked (first class) for a few months now, scheduled to fly Fri 05 July (I'm Australia based and will be over for a holiday).

I received an email today that my flight has been cancelled (AA1289), and rebooked JFK-DCA-BOS (AA4569-AA2149). It's now quite a long trip (1141-1604 vs 1230-1336). It would be quicker to drive.

I think I'm going to ask to be booked LGA-BOS instead, or perhaps cancel and just rent a car and drive. I don't really want to be flying via DC for such a short trip. I'm staying in Manhattan so LGA is actually closer but I wanted to fly out of JFK for a change to experience the flagship lounge, as I usually fly out of LGA.

It seems odd they would cancel this route (would have thought JFK connections to BOS would be popular) - could this just be a scheduling mishap and the flights will be re-added later? If that's the case am I better to just sit on my hands and see how it plays out? I also got two other emails within minutes of this one for two other flights changed, but they were only minor changes in times and/or flight number.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:53 am

At least for now it looks like the frequency for the week of the 4th is gone, this is a business heavy route and being a US holiday means light loads.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by jliehr
At least for now it looks like the frequency for the week of the 4th is gone, this is a business heavy route and being a US holiday means light loads.
I can see flights the following week - but I have had a good look and can't see any flights at all for the month before. I would take your explanation if it was just a few days or perhaps the entire week - but a whole month? That sounds unlikely.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:28 am

Appears to go Tues/Wed only in June, runway work starts in April at JFK, so that shouldn’t be it. Maybe just another casualty in the JFK operations. Maybe Parker has plans to make B6 his next merger target?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:33 am

Are you planning on going the same day JFK- LGA? Depending on the time of day you need to leave 5-7; hours. As the crow flies, the two airports are close. However, reality is construction and a huge amount of traffic. (When in NY, I live between the two airports )
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by awayIgo
Are you planning on going the same day JFK- LGA? Depending on the time of day you need to leave 5-7; hours. As the crow flies, the two airports are close. However, reality is construction and a huge amount of traffic. (When in NY, I live between the two airports )
OP said he/she is originating in Manhattan, so LGA is actually much more convenient.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justinbrett
I can see flights the following week - but I have had a good look and can't see any flights at all for the month before. I would take your explanation if it was just a few days or perhaps the entire week - but a whole month? That sounds unlikely.
If you use Google Flights in calendar mode (select JFK-BOS, non-stop, Oneworld), it's easy to see which days the flight operates and which it does not. As noted above, it goes to some oddball Tue/Wed only single daily flight in June, and them comes back to full strength 5x daily in the second week of July
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - As you are originating in Manhattan, you should consider this a gift. I have no idea why one would book xJFK when AA operates its BOS Shuttle service from LGA. Simply call AA and have them move you to your preferred LGA-BOS service. There are six nonstops with a block time of approx 1:20 and flights generally arrive 15-20 minutes early.

If this is on a single ticket, check the prices before you ask for a change. You are entitled to a refund and if the LGA-BOS ticket is cheaper than what you paid for your cancelled flight, ask for a refund and then purchase a new ticket.

I would not drive this on a Friday. Between the US holiday and the ordinary Friday traffic, this 4-hour drive can easily turn into 6+.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - As you are originating in Manhattan, you should consider this a gift. I have no idea why one would book xJFK when AA operates its BOS Shuttle service from LGA.
OP wanted to try out the Flagship Lounge, they mentioned it in their first post.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:12 am

If you are based out of Manhattan, I would suggest getting a refund on this ticket and taking the train. The train journey will be much quicker if you can get on an Acela service, and Penn Station is orders of magnitude more convenient than either JFK or LGA, being right in Midtown Manhattan.
kingstontoon, wrp96, SamOF and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Acela is usually bit more expensive than a flight purchased well in advance (here $125 vs. $83 o/w), and I disagree it's faster than flying to BOS (to DC it can be a little faster). It is a more relaxing and comfortable journey, though, and less susceptible to weather delays.
The regular Northeast Regional trains can be much cheaper (I see starting at $55, or $101 for their business class), but those are 4.5hr trains and I find the seats torture on my back, even in business class (though Acela is fine). Acela First Class is actually pretty nice, and looks similarly-priced to many first-class flights. You get a hot meal, free drinks, and lounge access (though NY lounge is dreary).
Adelphos and Often1 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Acela for NYP-BOS is generally longer and more expensive than the Shuttle while NYP-WAS is the reverse. You will also find reduced Acela service over the holiday weekend. The NE Regional trains are just fine, but do take longer than Acela.

I suppose you could check pricing and schedules for your options by air and rail and make a decision.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
If you use Google Flights in calendar mode (select JFK-BOS, non-stop, Oneworld), it's easy to see which days the flight operates and which it does not. As noted above, it goes to some oddball Tue/Wed only single daily flight in June, and them comes back to full strength 5x daily in the second week of July
Note that the AA schedule seems to only be updated through July 6, so the "full strength 5x daily" that appears to re-start on July 7th might not actually reflect reality...
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:09 pm

What's going on here? On the day that I'm flying, there's only an 11pm from JFK-BOS (flight changed to that from 9:40am-ish). Actually, it looks that's the only flight from 5/3-7/6 (save for a few pockets of 9pm departures on Tue/Wed).
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by kanny
What's going on here? On the day that I'm flying, there's only an 11pm from JFK-BOS (flight changed to that from 9:40am-ish). Actually, it looks that's the only flight from 5/3-7/6 (save for a few pockets of 9pm departures on Tue/Wed).
AA is dropping frequencies and utilization of JFK, it seems to be accelerating now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.