Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LHR to LAX which flight is likely to be quieter (less full)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Plan to travel on a Friday morning from LHR to LAX and there two AA 777W flights; one at 10:30am and another at 5:15pm (seems like they just moved that last one later in the day). I am an EXP and looking for an upgrade so I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on which one is likely to be quieter in business class?

I figure 10:30am is tougher for a lot of same day connections to make from other parts of Europe. Get an error when I look at the seat map but this is a couple months out so not sure that would tell you much anyway?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by mushy
...I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on which one is likely to be quieter in business class?
I don't think the noise levels in business class are dependent on the time of departure.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by mushy
Plan to travel on a Friday morning from LHR to LAX and there two AA 777W flights; one at 10:30am and another at 5:15pm (seems like they just moved that last one later in the day). I am an EXP and looking for an upgrade so I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on which one is likely to be quieter in business class?

I figure 10:30am is tougher for a lot of same day connections to make from other parts of Europe. Get an error when I look at the seat map but this is a couple months out so not sure that would tell you much anyway?
But the 10:30 AM departure makes it easier to make connections in the US. Additionally, some people would prefer to depart UK in the AM, as the 5:15 PM would be tough to meet if doing business in the afternoon
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:34 am
Original Poster

very funny
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Wholly conjecture, but perhaps the 5:15P solely as it's a night flight whereas the other is considered a day flight? My evening BA flights to SFO or LAX are usually "quiet" in that most folks go to bed (whereas on the earlier flights many decide to stay awake throughout).I was on the 11:30A last week and will be on the new AA 5:15P back to LAX next week, so looking forward to testing that hypothesis out.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by potus18
Wholly conjecture, but perhaps the 5:15P solely as it's a night flight whereas the other is considered a day flight? My evening BA flights to SFO or LAX are usually "quiet" in that most folks go to bed (whereas on the earlier flights many decide to stay awake throughout).I was on the 11:30A last week and will be on the new AA 5:15P back to LAX next week, so looking forward to testing that hypothesis out.
I would describe those flights the other way around, given that the established way to avoid jet lag is to adjust to your new time zone as early as possible. The morning flight departs at 2.30am LAX time and is mainly overnight - this gives me plenty of time to sleep some more before morning. The later flight leave at 9.15am LAX time and is the daytime flight in effect.

All that said, I think the later flight must be quieter since there are very few available connections compared to the earlier flight.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
“Quieter” as in which flight will have less activity, or noise, or as in “fewer passengers and less Business class demand so I can secure my upgrade more easily”?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
The one that doesn’t have the Barclays credit card offer.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
The one that doesn’t have the Barclays credit card offer.
OP needs to fly BA then
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I don't think the noise levels in business class are dependent on the time of departure.
After 6 pm they close the windows so a bit better there.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:06 am

I know OP worded it kinda weird, but they definitely mean “quiet” in an empty/less full sense. (As in more likely to get an upgrade.)
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Djokison
I know OP worded it kinda weird, but they definitely mean “quiet” in an empty/less full sense. (As in more likely to get an upgrade.)
Yes I did. The best chance of an upgrade (system wide going through)
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I flew on the earlier flight last Sunday and EF was showing 12 open seats in the business class cabin, and only one person listed for an upgrade (and that subsequently showed as cleared). Flight was clearly busy down the back as both my girlfriend and I were upgraded from PE to Business (we are both OWE through BAEC). We had actually asked at the lounge if there were any load factor based upgrades available and told no. We noticed our seats had changed while at the gate waiting to board. Winner!

Anyway, probably very hard to draw any conclusion from a single data point but thought I'd share as an anecdote rather than anything else!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA CC
I believe the a.m. flight is a 777-300 - nicer Biz cabin and it has first class. I always opt for that equipment when available (which is rare - only LA routes I believe are LAX / LHR and LAX / HKG).
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kjranabargar
I believe the a.m. flight is a 777-300 - nicer Biz cabin and it has first class. I always opt for that equipment when available (which is rare - only LA routes I believe are LAX / LHR and LAX / HKG).
Both LHR-LAX flights are now 77W going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.