Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA changed fight by over 4 hours - can I leverage this for lounge accces?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA changed fight by over 4 hours - can I leverage this for lounge accces?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
I do apologize, I'm not familiar with US airlines. Wouldn't a first class ticket (so basically, domestic business) get you complimentary access to the lounge?
No, for most US domestic business/first class flights, you do not get access. For AAdvantage members it is a yearly paid member ship to get lounge access. None-AAdvantage OneWorld status holders get access.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I do apologize, I'm not familiar with US airlines. Wouldn't a first class ticket (so basically, domestic business) get you complimentary access to the lounge?
Very generally speaking, First Class tickets for domestic US flights get you a bigger seat and better service up front but no lounge privileges (unless you are connecting to an international flight).
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Thanks to both for the replies... that does put things into perspective and explains why US flyers have more to benefit from status (or from lounge passes).
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I suppose the real question to OP is where he is coming from. The context suggests that he is being dropped off from somewhere in the NYC area. It could also be that he is arriving on a separate ticket from somewhere else (or even on the same ticket).

Knowing the exact details can be really helpful as it informs decision-making much better.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Nope. They are membership based but do follow Oneworld rules for non-AA elites and also provide access on international and some transcontinental routes.
ETA: Oops, a bit slow with that one!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:29 pm

FWIW, I've been through JFK a couple of times with long layovers, either not within my control, or poor planning on my part. Being on AA or other OW flights, I checked into buying a one day pass and in both cases, the pass was not available due to capacity control. So, not something I would count on. FYI...
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:07 pm

You'd have a hard enough time talking you way into the club due to a mechanical or other delay. Trying to gain access due to a documented schedule change is likely even more of an uphill battle.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:41 pm

What about a Priority Pass lounge or AMEX if the OP has any credit cards with such benefits. And if not, maybe there's time to get one?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by linglingfool
If you were a non-AA OWS, you had access to the (current incarnation of the) FL anyway.
Yes, but I am a AA OWS.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
No because in the U.S. (and Australia), lounges work on a membership model. The exception is Alaska, where a paid first class ticket on any route gets you lounge access, but Alaska has a small lounge network.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:57 am

Just pointing out that Australia's membership model is in addition to domestic premium cabin getting lounge access, not instead of.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: QANTAS, Oneworld
Originally Posted by Often1
but is it really the case that he cannot change or cancel that this far out?
Yes, it is really the case!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: QANTAS, Oneworld
Originally Posted by lamphs
I checked into buying a one day pass and in both cases, the pass was not available due to capacity control. So, not something I would count on. FYI...
This is something I am concerned about as well. I don't mind springing for a day pass, but if they aren't available on the day its going to be a miserable wait.

I'd much rather AA come to the party early with lounge access. Anyway, I'm still on the move in Europe so haven't had time to haggle with AA yet.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by RealityBites
This is something I am concerned about as well. I don't mind springing for a day pass, but if they aren't available on the day its going to be a miserable wait.

I'd much rather AA come to the party early with lounge access. Anyway, I'm still on the move in Europe so haven't had time to haggle with AA yet.
We can help you better if you explain how you're getting to JFK ... sounds like another airline so people might have some ideas.

But ... AA is cancelling a lot of flights out of JFK the next few weeks, mainly related to 737 MAX issues. So, they are not giving lounge access, but they might let you change to LGA if you'd prefer. Or we might be able to give you other lounge ideas.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RealityBites
Yes, it is really the case!
Don't expect AA to "buy" that part.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.