Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA codeshare/Alaska Sameday Flight Change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2021, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the new AA/Alaska partnership. I'm flying Thursday BUR-SEA on AS, and I booked through AA as a codeshare flight because I have a travel credit on AA. However only one of Alaska's 4 daily flights on that route was listed as a codeshare option, so I had to book that one, which is earlier than I want to leave (1250P).

There are lots of seats available on the flight I actually want (the 440P departure). My question is: even though I booked this ticket through AA, can I still take advantage of Alaska's same day flight change policy to move onto the later flight, even though it doesn't list as a codeshare? And as an aside, will the $50 change fee apply to me as an EXP/Oneworld Emerald (I know Alaska waives it for some MVP levels).

Many thanks!
Daniel
Old Sep 28, 2021, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...flight-changes

Doesn't say "oneworld emerald".

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...a-airlines.jsp

Doesn't say "waivers on same day change fees for EXP".
danwer930 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 11:38 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
My bet is that AS will let you, since they have control of the ticket on day of departure and their T&C only say operated by Alaska.

It's odd that they don't waive the fee for EXP, since AA waives the SDFC fee for MVP Gold 75K.
danwer930 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by VFR
My bet is that AS will let you, since they have control of the ticket on day of departure and their T&C only say operated by Alaska.

It's odd that they don't waive the fee for EXP, since AA waives the SDFC fee for MVP Gold 75K.
Not too odd, considering how AA seems to be more beneficial for AS 75Ks than AS is toward AA PPs
danwer930 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your help with this everyone. Wanted to follow up and let you know that the flight change did work, although it is a little bit quirky. I think the ticket only gets released to Alaska when you begin the check-in process for the original flight. When I tried to initiate the flight change outside of the check-in process (but within 24 hours of departure), it repeatedly gave me an error message. But once I started the check-in process, it once again presented the option to change my flight, and that time it worked!

Also, as suspected/feared, I was charged the $50 change fee. Hopefully AA and AS will work out a truly reciprocal benefit for that in the future.
VFR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.