Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Method to Capture More Inventory than Available

Method to Capture More Inventory than Available

Old Mar 26, 19, 11:06 am

Programs: AA MM; AS Gold; Nexion, LLC/Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by SamOF View Post
While everyone is correct that this won't work, it should have nothing to do with instant vs delayed ticketing. The PNR is created with the space confirmed instantly (or not, if the space isn't there)—the wait to get an e-ticket issued has nothing to do with confirming inventory or selling the segment.
100% correct.

Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
Also, I think if someone starts to click through but doesn't finish purchasing it, it will pull it out inventory. So, sometimes, I'll notice that inventory in a fare bucket has gone from 1 to 2 very quickly.
Inventory is not made unavailable to other shoppers until it is confirmed by someone else.

Originally Posted by linglingfool View Post
I have seen Amadeus inventory persist that is not available in Sabre, so always worth checking with a different POS once you've held your original flight.
Virtually every major airline is providing direct connection to inventory via the GDS in this era. The days of one GDS/agency having different availability than the airline itself or another agency are mostly gone. If three different people search for availability and try to grab one last remaining seat "simultaneously", two will not be able to confirm the reservation.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The ticketing lag time should be, but is not always, insignificant. But, the fact remains that it won't ticket if there is not fare bucket inventory. So, it all goes back to there being 2 seats if you want 2 seats.
You cannot confirm a reservation if there is no available inventory. Ticketing lag time relates more to agency/airline quality control (is your secure flight info in the PNR, does the credit card address match the PNR, does the ticket have to be issued manually, etc).

Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
I was thinking about this from a pure technical perspective. AA uses Sabre to power their US website and Amadeus to power their European websites. There needs to be some sort of latency reconciling inventory between the two databases. For AA, Sabre would be the system of record and there should be some sort of delay in the ETL process between Amadeus and Sabre. Would there be a way to get multiple tickets issued in that short time period? Would ticketing fail in a subsequent period of time after the PNR is created?
Whatever technology used to "book" the inventory is getting real-time information from AA/Sabre. Once a reservation is purchased/held, it is confirmed and AA/Sabre inventory is updated to reflect the new sale.

Originally Posted by bscooter26 View Post
I'm no expert here, but that's probably why there's a delay (sometimes several hours) between booking and ticketing
No, see above.

Originally Posted by GNRMatt View Post
Pre-merger, this was possible on US Airways. If you loaded up the same flight in two different browsers, it would let you book it at that lower price for the two tickets.
Assuming this is true, it explains why US could not afford to offer basic amenities on board, such as power outlets and courteous flight attendants.

Originally Posted by PHL View Post
ETL would be woefully inefficient for this kind of thing. I'm 99.9% certain that the access to the SABRE side inventory from Amadeus is real time. The booking to ticketing lag time is another issue all together.
Yes.
krzysz likes this.
Old Mar 26, 19, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Coolio
Old Mar 26, 19, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer View Post
Virtually every major airline is providing direct connection to inventory via the GDS in this era. The days of one GDS/agency having different availability than the airline itself or another agency are mostly gone. If three different people search for availability and try to grab one last remaining seat "simultaneously", two will not be able to confirm the reservation.
Of course, but that doesn't mean that AA aren't intentionally doing this for certain GDS/POS.
Old Mar 26, 19, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marketing
Different Inventory Softwares are used for this purpose.
Old Mar 26, 19, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool View Post
Of course, but that doesn't mean that AA aren't intentionally doing this for certain GDS/POS.
Fair enough, but if GDS subscribers are paying for a direct connection to AA inventory and are not getting the advertised product, both the GDS and the respective carrier are exposing themselves to liability. I am not an IT guy, but I'm certain there are ways to audit this (and given the global dollars involved, no doubt audits are periodically conducted).
_fx likes this.
Old Mar 26, 19, 2:07 pm
_fx

Programs: AS MVPG
Fair enough, but if GDS subscribers are paying for a direct connection to AA inventory and are not getting the advertised product, both the GDS and the respective carrier are exposing themselves to liability. I am not an IT guy, but I'm certain there are ways to audit this (and given the global dollars involved, no doubt audits are periodically conducted).
Yep, absolutely no way the legal team at AA would allow this sort of trickery.
Old Mar 26, 19, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
Its well established that bull/consolidator fares exist, and are sold in specific channels.
Old Mar 26, 19, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink View Post

Its well established that bull/consolidator fares exist, and are sold in specific channels.
Yes, has been that way for decades. Corporations have private fares as well. Booking class availability ("inventory") and fares are different animals. My agency offers fares others do not.

However, I cannot get you a seat in "N" class if it is not being offered to other Sabre subscribers (and AA cannot offer the seat for sale directly to the public and at the same time withhold it from Sabre's customers, to whom AA is contractually obligated to offer last seat availability). Obviously, there are a few exceptions (award/upgrade inventory not distributed to the public, guaranteed full Y availability for high level elites, etc), but these are fully known to all involved.