Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why do AA Flight Crews Travel with so much Luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do AA Flight Crews Travel with so much Luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Yes, CX crews bring big suitcases that they check in at the counter -- I've seen them do it! I always assumed it was by choice, since they wanted to shop in the States during their layover.

As far as AA, I typically see AA FAs bringing a rollaboard, personal item, and small cooler with food for the day's flights. Maybe a purse as well. Typically a total of 3-4 items. Remember that while pilots still get crew meals per their contract, FAs do NOT. So, FAs have to scrounge what they can from leftover premium cabin catering (NOT the BOB items, since those items are inventory-controlled). OR they have to bring their own food from home, in order to avoid overpriced airport food.

I'm not an FA, but methinks the life of an FA working domestic/Mex/Can/Carib routes is not as glamorous as it used to be. Only the longhaul routes still have some pretty cool lifestyle perks (weekends in Paris or Buenos Aires, enjoying gelato in Rome, etc), but the seniority required to fly bid for those routes is off the charts these days.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Flight attendants should be held to the same requirements as a passenger. One personal item (purse, laptop bag) and one carry on... And allowing one carry on full size bag is being generous. There's simply no need for a FA to have a carry on bag unless they have a tight connection somewhere else right after. In my experience, a lot of flights go back and forth between one airport throughout each day, so I would say it should be the exception, not the rule.
Which other businesses hold their employees to the same requirements as their customers? Why should the airline industry? Do flight attendants tell you how to do your job? Do you tell employees of other businesses that you aren't that familiar with how they should do their job or is your judgment restricted to the airline industry? I'm just curious what makes you an expert on what an airline employee should and should not bring to work. I'm certainly not an expert but I have to believe that most people don't bring more to work than they have to.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by CLT
Is crew not checking bags a US-only thing?
I think long haul vs short haul has a lot to do with it. A CX flight attendant in JFK is at pretty low risk of being reassigned at the last minute to a different flight. Ditto an AA flight attendant in HKG. I think all of the complaints in this thread are about FAs taking bin space on short haul (ie North America) flights.
ESpen36 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by ESpen36
So, FAs have to scrounge what they can from leftover premium cabin catering (NOT the BOB items, since those items are inventory-controlled). OR they have to bring their own food from home, in order to avoid overpriced airport food.
Well, now that you mention it, Barclays and American Airlines have a special limited time offer just for them. For the low price of just $199 per year, they can get $25 of that tasty BOB food for free with the Barclaycard AAdvantage Silver Mastercard. After making their first purchase within the first ninety days, they will receive 60,000 bonus AAdvantage miles, which is enough miles to take you, your wife, all of your kids and your pet goat to Hawaii. But wait, there's more, if hit your flight attended call button within the next fifteen minutes, we'll give you an extra 500 bonus miles, just for applying during today's flight. Also, you'll be able to board before the flight attendants do, and check 50 free bags, over a one million dollar value, all yours for applying inflight today.
Spiff, LAX-1K and luv2vacay like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by CLT
Is crew not checking bags a US-only thing?

All of my CX/SQ flights overseas the crew had checked in bags. In fact at JFK two weeks ago when I got off a CX flight from HKG there were groundstaff next to the carousel taking off every bag that had a crew tag on it.
Can confirm qantas domestic flight crews are at best strongly disincentivised to check bags and encouraged/mandated to carry on only

however. An standard trip generally would not include more than 1 overnight in a row
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Many FAs commute to work and often have to plan on an overnight before and after their trip. Some commute outside the US to the US. So that can mean packing for 6 days, or more. Four days+ of uniform (when they commute I think they need to be in uniform?) and street clothes. Multiple types of shoes. That's lots of required baggage.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by justhere
Which other businesses hold their employees to the same requirements as their customers? Why should the airline industry? Do flight attendants tell you how to do your job? Do you tell employees of other businesses that you aren't that familiar with how they should do their job or is your judgment restricted to the airline industry? I'm just curious what makes you an expert on what an airline employee should and should not bring to work. I'm certainly not an expert but I have to believe that most people don't bring more to work than they have to.
And in what other business do the employees get to benefit from something the customers use and pay for in a limited capacity?

When there's limited availability of something, customers come first... Employees come last... Especially when the FA's are using first class storage space.

Flyers shouldn't have to check a bag because an FA wants to store theirs in the overhead compartment.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by AA100k
My friend carries four pairs of shoes, the extra being for jogging and the gym.
LOL, what? I use one pair of sneakers for both of those. smh. smh smh smh
Multiple types of shoes.
ummm?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
LOL, what? I use one pair of sneakers for both of those. smh. smh smh smh
ummm?
Aren’t you the smart one! Using running shoes as sneakers!
JonNYC likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by AA100k

Aren’t you the smart one! Using running shoes as sneakers!
Is there something special about running shoes that prevents one from using them in the gym or for walking?

One pair of dress shoes, one pair of comfort shoes. srsly
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
And in what other business do the employees get to benefit from something the customers use and pay for in a limited capacity?

When there's limited availability of something, customers come first... Employees come last... Especially when the FA's are using first class storage space.

Flyers shouldn't have to check a bag because an FA wants to store theirs in the overhead compartment.
Except if you don't make it efficient for your employees, you will inconvenience customers in a far greater way than finding a different spot to put your bag. And customers do come first when it comes to seats on the plane. Essentially customers come first on just about every aspect of flying, except putting bags in the cabin because the crew are on first. And for the most part there's a limited supply of everything in every business. Ever gone to the store to buy something and they were out? How do you know that an employee didn't buy one of the items? Point being that the logic of "employees come last" is painting with a very broad brush.
ashill likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
KLM crews check big suitcases in their distinctive color.

SQ crew check bags and get them delivered with very high priority. It's very frustrating to be waiting for one's own bag as a FC passenger arriving on SQ only to see FAs from one's flight stroll to baggage claim (obviously after waiting for everyone to deplane, etc.) to grab their waiting bags in a special area.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver

But again, it’s on the employer to provide the resources the employees need to do their job. The problem is that airlines removed the FAs’ closets to sell one more row of seats, leaving FAs with nowhere to put their bags except the overhead bins. The problem is not the FAs.

And again, those comparing long haul flights on other airlines on which crew check bags to intra-North American narrowbody flights are not comparing apples to oranges. I haven’t looked carefully, but I suspect AA FAs too check bags on long haul flights, and I suspect SQ and KL FAs don’t on short haul.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ashill

But again, it’s on the employer to provide the resources the employees need to do their job. The problem is that airlines removed the FAs’ closets to sell one more row of seats, leaving FAs with nowhere to put their bags except the overhead bins. The problem is not the FAs.

And again, those comparing long haul flights on other airlines on which crew check bags to intra-North American narrowbody flights are not comparing apples to oranges. I haven’t looked carefully, but I suspect AA FAs too check bags on long haul flights, and I suspect SQ and KL FAs don’t on short haul.
Either way, the problem is putting FA convenience ahead of paying customers. The optics don't look good, whether crew checked bags get priority over FC passenger bags or when crew stow their bags over FC and bulkhead seats, especially when the FA is working a position in the rear of the aircraft. To me, it would be reasonable to require FA carry on bags to be placed in bins at the very back of the aircraft if they cannot fit in a closet or if the carrier has removed the FC closet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.