ORD MAN Now Completely Canceled

Old Mar 23, 19, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
ORD MAN Now Completely Canceled

Apologies if this has already been covered but American restricted ORD to MAN to peak season only last year and as of this year it has disappeared off the itinerary completely.

Is it me or is American very weak in the USA to UK flight space, and yes Iím grouchy because I have no love of going through LHR with itís awful bus transfers or PHL with its poor customer service.

Is all hope now lost for ORD MAN ?
Old Mar 23, 19, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Life Plat
It seems like there's just not enough demand between Manchester and US destinations. It looks like United likewise only serves MAN from one airport (EWR) and Delta lets Virgin Atlantic handle all their MAN traffic to the US.
Old Mar 23, 19, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Aa is in fact very strong in the us to Uk market. But majority of their flights go to lhr

minimal opportunities outside of lhr, let’s be honest
BearX220 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 19, 8:37 pm

This flight operated for over 30 years, during which time overall passenger numbers from Manchester have increased significantly. So Iím not sure I buy the lack of demand argument, especially as competition has reduced during this time. Remember AA and bmi both used to have daily flights on this route.

I would put it much more down to consolidation and AA pulling back from secondary routes in almost all of their long haul markets.
Old Mar 23, 19, 8:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, Miles & More pleb
Don't know if the chicken came first or the egg, but If you travel from the midlands, it's way more convenient to travel with VS, skyteam, *A or the mid eastern airlines; anything but BA and its partners really, who really dont seem interested in making a hub outside London, or offering competitive prices for their (limited) options for connecting flights.

And here's one more of these options gone.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 23, 19, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by spanishflea View Post
This flight operated for over 30 years, during which time overall passenger numbers from Manchester have increased significantly. So Iím not sure I buy the lack of demand argument, especially as competition has reduced during this time. Remember AA and bmi both used to have daily flights on this route.

I would put it much more down to consolidation and AA pulling back from secondary routes in almost all of their long haul markets.
You believe they're pulling out of a high demand, high profit route because of "consolidation"?

I'm going to stick with a market-based decision.
Old Mar 23, 19, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Manchester and London are so boring....plus you add on the countryís ridiculous departure taxes etc.....Iíll pass.
SFO777, Spiff and platbrownguy like this.
Old Mar 23, 19, 9:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
You believe they're pulling out of a high demand, high profit route because of "consolidation"?

I'm going to stick with a market-based decision.
Under the JBV AA and BA share revenue, so perhaps this decision was made within that frame.
Old Mar 24, 19, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I speculate has nothing to do with MAN as a AA destination, but all about the changes/ reductions of wide body intl service out of ORD. AA has decided it does not have the fortitude to compete head to head with UAL, and ORD is the victim. Surprising, as AA is rated much higher than UAL in the 3 plus million people in the greater ORD area.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 19, 6:56 am
Moderator, Delta & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone View Post
Surprising, as AA is rated much higher than UAL in the 3 plus million people in the greater ORD area.
Can you point to that rating? That would be interesting to review.
Old Mar 24, 19, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As to the US-UK market, the most profitable route on the face of the planet is JFK-LHR for the AA/BA JV. Secondary markets such as MAN will either justify a 787-series aircraft or be routed via LHR.

It's about PRASM, not loads.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 19, 7:53 am

MAN has in the past few years added direct service to LAX and SFO seasonally with both VS and Thomas Cook. I'm guessing that this has cut into a lot of the ORD traffic as the demand is to the West coast.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Mar 24, 19, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
AA floods the JFK-LHR market and seems to be shorting everything else US-UK. Also, BA once operated PIK(Glasgow)-JFK/BOS, MAN-JFK, etc. but now forces everyone through Heathrow.

It just creates opportunities for creative competition. Remember that Continental did very well in the '90s and '00s flying 757s from EWR to MAN, EDI, BRS, BFS, etc. There will always be a market for direct services to secondary UK stations. If AA won't exploit it someone else will.
Old Mar 24, 19, 9:36 am

The additional passenger duty payable from MAN will also have diverted some traffic to travel to the US via DUB. Aer Lingus has a decent product with more direct US destinations, thus avoiding the need to connect in ORD.
Old Mar 24, 19, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
During my flying life AA have had direct services from MAN to ORD, JFK, BOS, MIA, CLT & PHL. Just PHL now while DUB has PHL, ORD & CLT.

MAN is my home airport but the much lower taxes and availability of Immigration pre-clearance at DUB makes the short hop over the Irish Sea often worth the effort.
twincheeks likes this.

Search this Thread