Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2019 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
2019 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)

With hundreds of annual reports of and queries about delayed, diverted, canceled flights we have established this consolidated thread to prevent these from overwhelming other forum threads.

For assistance and useful resources when your flight is affected, see AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, travel policy, delay, cancel etc. resources (master thread)

● For information on current and recent AA flight delays, check out: AACargo.com

● For information on U.S. Airport Delays, check out: FAA Flight Delay Information

● For information about holds, delays, etc. on airports, flights, historical data check FlightStats.

KVS Availability Tool - read here for further information, with access to WSpan Operational Info.

ExpertFlyer also provides FLIFO / Flight Status Comments for current flights in it's Flight Status section here.

● For "translation" of FLIFO terms, use this page on FlyerGuide.

● For current and forecasted weather delays, use Weather.com Airport Delays

● To see a flight's path within the US radar areas and delay histories, use FlightAware flight tracking. (N.B. Some features require a free signup.)
Print Wikipost

Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2019 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I find it interesting that CLT and MIA have basically had no issues with their longhauls.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:11 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Originally Posted by BlueDuke
Went MX about 1.5 hours before departure, with a one hour estimate. 45 minutes into that, another 3 hour delay tacked on. Will it go? We shall see...
Now showing 11pm vs 5:55pm scheduled. There aren’t any 777 pilot crews based in RDU (it’s a DFW crew?) so crew legality has to be an issue soon, right? What a mess.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
I'm flying AA61 DFW-NRT on Thu May 30. I see the large delay on Fri 24, but Sat/Sun both went out on time, here's hoping that was a one-off.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, Marriott
It was not very good yesterday. All Maintenance related.
5/25 AA 208 ORD-DUB cancelled
5/25 AA 46 ORD-LHR cancelled
5/25 AA 110 ORD-FCO 5 hours late
5/25 AA 160 ORD-ATH 1.5 hours late
5/25 AA 150 ORD-CDG 2 hours late
5/25 AA 42 ORD-VCE 3.5 hours late
5/25 AA 40 ORD-BCN 1.5 hours late
5/25 AA 98 ORD-LHR 1.5 hours late
5/25 AA 830 ORD-DFW 4 hours late
5/25 AA 995 MIA-GRU overnighted 12 hours late
Old May 26, 2019, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kr777
It was not very good yesterday. All Maintenance related.
5/25 AA 208 ORD-DUB cancelled
5/25 AA 46 ORD-LHR cancelled
5/25 AA 110 ORD-FCO 5 hours late
5/25 AA 160 ORD-ATH 1.5 hours late
5/25 AA 150 ORD-CDG 2 hours late
5/25 AA 42 ORD-VCE 3.5 hours late
5/25 AA 40 ORD-BCN 1.5 hours late
5/25 AA 98 ORD-LHR 1.5 hours late
5/25 AA 830 ORD-DFW 4 hours late
5/25 AA 995 MIA-GRU overnighted 12 hours late
Yeah, I'm noticing that there aren't very many systemwide cancellations/delays, but the transatlantic flights are obviously suffering. Today, it seems to be better, but there's cancelled flights from PHL to both LHR and CDG tonight (I haven't checked for delays). What gives? It would seem that the mechanics union is targeting transatlantic flights but, if that's the case, they're going to get into a heck of a lot of legal trouble. Is it something else?
Old May 27, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
AA754/755 PHL-CDG-PHL A332 Scrubbed 2x in six days. Does not give confidence in booking this flight.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
5/25 and today 5/26 AA 2209 STL-ORD
Old May 27, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
AA754/755 PHL-CDG-PHL A332 Scrubbed 2x in six days. Does not give confidence in booking this flight.
Yeah, it doesn't make sense -- other than as a work slowdown. That said, it seems so obvious that it's a work slowdown that the union is almost certain to get spanked by the court. I don't get it.

Meanwhile, as I understand it, US airlines must comply with the onerous (for airlines)/overly-generous (for pax) compensation rules for cancelled/delayed flights LEAVING the EU (not flying TO the EU). Is that happening, or does the airline have a workaround to avoid paying?
Antarius likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Yea, this has to be very costly to AA with the EU laws and compensation claims, no?
Old May 27, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, it doesn't make sense -- other than as a work slowdown. That said, it seems so obvious that it's a work slowdown that the union is almost certain to get spanked by the court. I don't get it.

Meanwhile, as I understand it, US airlines must comply with the onerous (for airlines)/overly-generous (for pax) compensation rules for cancelled/delayed flights LEAVING the EU (not flying TO the EU). Is that happening, or does the airline have a workaround to avoid paying?
AA may have insurance for situations like this, but the pax will be compensated by AA in accordance with EC261.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by hockeystl
5/25 and today 5/26 AA 2209 STL-ORD
It’s a Bruins conspiracy
IAHtraveler and Antarius like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
AA may have insurance for situations like this, but the pax will be compensated by AA in accordance with EC261.
The payments under the EU rules are almost absurdly generous. A transatlantic delay of 4 hours or more is worth 600 euros! (Personally, with that kind of payment, I'd PREFER such a delay most times). For non-EU airlines, these payments only apply to flights LEAVING the EU. Mechanicals are not excluded, but "crew strikes" are. Not sure what happens if the airline claims mechanic work slowdown.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:38 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Anyone else get caught in the rash of ORD weather cancellations on Memorial Day (Monday May 27th)? Total meltdown today and AA just outright canceled a bunch of flights. Why don't they run flights with 4-6+ hour delays instead of telling everyone that they need to stay in Chicago for two days to take a 3 stop flight home in a middle seat on an Oasis torture tube?
Old May 27, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by david22
Anyone else get caught in the rash of ORD weather cancellations on Memorial Day (Monday May 27th)? Total meltdown today and AA just outright canceled a bunch of flights. Why don't they run flights with 4-6+ hour delays instead of telling everyone that they need to stay in Chicago for two days to take a 3 stop flight home in a middle seat on an Oasis torture tube?
The tarmac delay fines and changes to crew duty rules after the Buffalo crash played a large part in beginning this trend. Now US carriers have discovered it is much easier to just cancel everything and reset the operation to operate normally tomorrow after severe weather occurs.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
According to someone who was supposed to be on AA754 on Sunday night:

Everyone shows up at gate. Shows CDG as destination, plane is there, luggage is loaded... Then some new information is given: Because of mechanical problems, flight is cancelled.

Okay. Then gate info switches over to DUB as destination. My informant gets booked to CDG via DUB, and goes out on the same plane that had been waiting there.

So some choice seems to have been made to scrub the CDG flight and use that plane for DUB. Not saying it was wrong. Not saying I know anything more than that. Just saying that this is what seems to have happened. In which case, I return to my original comment, that this does not instill confidence in buying tickets for this flight (AA754).

(There is also something I can't quite piece together in this... AA754 is scheduled into CDG at 10:40am these days, and AA755 back to PHL at 10:40am also. That would be quick turnaround at, say, LEX, so clearly it is not the same plane. I haven't done due diligence here, but PHL and CLT are the only 332 hubs, so I am assuming that AA786 [hope I have the number right] CLT-CDG is going back as AA755 CDG-PHL, and AA754 PHL-CDG [when it flies] is going back as AA787 CDG-CLT. Yet both days when AA754 was cancelled, AA755 was cancelled, too, so in addition to DUB being privileged over CDG, CLT is being privileged over PHL. Not my choice to make, but someone's choice....)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.