Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2019 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
2019 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)

With hundreds of annual reports of and queries about delayed, diverted, canceled flights we have established this consolidated thread to prevent these from overwhelming other forum threads.

For assistance and useful resources when your flight is affected, see AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, travel policy, delay, cancel etc. resources (master thread)

● For information on current and recent AA flight delays, check out: AACargo.com

● For information on U.S. Airport Delays, check out: FAA Flight Delay Information

● For information about holds, delays, etc. on airports, flights, historical data check FlightStats.

KVS Availability Tool - read here for further information, with access to WSpan Operational Info.

ExpertFlyer also provides FLIFO / Flight Status Comments for current flights in it's Flight Status section here.

● For "translation" of FLIFO terms, use this page on FlyerGuide.

● For current and forecasted weather delays, use Weather.com Airport Delays

● To see a flight's path within the US radar areas and delay histories, use FlightAware flight tracking. (N.B. Some features require a free signup.)
Print Wikipost

Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2019 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Flight 150 ORD-CDG has had 13 on-time arrivals in the past 30 days. Massive delays going on with this flight. Very discouraging.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is remarkable how quickly AA turned around its operation from the spring near-meltdown. Sure, they've benefited from better weather, but today the weather is poor in the Northeast (particularly at AA's PHL hub) and the operation is still excellent. As I write this late Tuesday evening, according to flightaware, there are only 7 cancelled flights in the entire AA network today and 89% of the flights systemwide are on-time. Is it just the result of the mechanics being ordered by the court to end their illegal slowdown, or has AA done something else to fix the operation? I guess the final test will be the upcoming winter weather, but today is a good sign.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iahphx
It is remarkable how quickly AA turned around its operation from the spring near-meltdown. Sure, they've benefited from better weather, but today the weather is poor in the Northeast (particularly at AA's PHL hub) and the operation is still excellent. As I write this late Tuesday evening, according to flightaware, there are only 7 cancelled flights in the entire AA network today and 89% of the flights systemwide are on-time. Is it just the result of the mechanics being ordered by the court to end their illegal slowdown, or has AA done something else to fix the operation? I guess the final test will be the upcoming winter weather, but today is a good sign.
It is surprising and impressive. Unfortunately, I'm the 11% recently with 5 of the last 6 trips majorly delayed due to MX.

But, had 2 flights today that were on time, with LAA IFE planes and great, great crew. And it reminded me of what AA can be.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
It is surprising and impressive. Unfortunately, I'm the 11% recently with 5 of the last 6 trips majorly delayed due to MX.

But, had 2 flights today that were on time, with LAA IFE planes and great, great crew. And it reminded me of what AA can be.
Wow, that's really bad statistical luck. But I have runs of terrible luck too -- on all airlines. Last year, I had two medical diversions and an emergency landing. This year I had a "tarmac rule" flight that then cancelled after 5 hours (all when there wasn't a cloud in the sky). You never know. But that's why the stats are more useful than anecdotal stories.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Pity the poor folks trying to start their vacation today to Mazatlan. (10/19)

AA 5787
Departed on time at 10:30, diverted to Austin, landing at 12:08
Departed Austin 3:02 - heading back to DFW, arriving 4:11

AA 9405 is now scheduled to leave DFW at 4:58 to MZT, landing at 6:58

The poor folks in MZT trying to get to DFW on the 5787 return are delayed about 6 - 7 hours

Mesa has to be the poorest performing of the AA regional airlines.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Alas flight 9405 finally left at 8:18 pm, about 10 hours after the original departure time. They plan will arrive in MZT after 10:00 pm

After spending much of the day in MZT airport waiting for their delayed plane, the folks trying to fly to DFW get to spend an extra night there and return home at 8:30 am tomorrow, a mere 20 hours late.

"Going for Great"
Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:23 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
I am surprised they are putting Mesa on that route. I'm surprised they're putting Mesa on International routes at all since they are commanding higher fares and one would expect them to have commiserate in-flight experience. I'm surprised they don't have e175 service like many other smaller Mexican destinations.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Club
AA 1998 cancelled today

Anyone know why AA 1998 (CLT-DTW) cancelled this morning? Looks like the plane N965AN arrived into CLT on-time from SYR and there's no weather in CLT or DTW.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N965AN

Did it go tech after arrival?
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by JakeRobertson212
Did it go tech after arrival?
Yes.

-CXLD DUE TO A/C MAINTENANCE
Old Oct 24, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Scheduled to fly 352 SJC-dfw now. Currently delayed at 4 hours due to Dallas wx. Having been down this road before on hopped on 470 to phx now and staying the night there and out at 7 am.

FWIW a non related bonus —it seems all the 319’s still have go go inflight so as a t mobile user it’s free.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:25 pm

DFW meltdown Thursday (Oct. 24)

No one else was caught in AA's meltdown on Thursday at DFW?

My flight from SAN into DFW in the afternoon was delayed about a half hour. My connection to JAX was just a few gates away according to the AA App. Got over there and another city listed on the board. They cancelled Flight 2449 (629PM). Managed to get a confirmation on the next flight to JAX (#1305) at 829PM. But no seat. Got that finally at the gate but now the flight moved to another terminal and kept getting delayed. Told that pilots were arriving at another terminal at 1105PM. We finally started boarding after 11 and sat on the plane for about an hour. Then told to get off; it was cancelled. Another passenger asked a flight attendant & he said the crew timed out. Gate agent told us to go 15 gates away to get rebooked. There were several hundred people already in line over there. People sleeping on the floor. Many other flights cancelled. The AA App only had flights on Saturday showing (2 days later). Eventually got a connection to JAX on Friday. Later found a seat on #2509 on Friday afternoon. Printed my boarding pass downstairs and started looking for a hotel. Finally got to the hotel about 230AM.

Got up Friday morning & had a message that my flight was cancelled. AA app showed nothing I could book on Friday at all. Looking at AA.com I found one connection with 1 seat available at $1200+ (no seats showing to change to on the app for Friday). Booked that. Later still no inventory on Friday. Got a phone agent who said he could move the seats over to my original ticket & refund me the ridiculous amount for the second ticket. This was for a connection through Miami that got in about 11PM. While I was waiting for the first flight I found the 316PM flight (non-stop) had 1 seat available so I switched to that before it disappeared. Really was only 1 seat available on the seating chart.. Flight 2509 was delayed a bit from late-arriving aircraft but we finally left for JAX.. Bad day(s) at DFW!
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
There was a significant weather issue, and it appears AA is not handling IROPS particularly well these days. We got a couple inches of snow here in Northwest Oklahoma from the same storm.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by enviroian
Scheduled to fly 352 SJC-dfw now. Currently delayed at 4 hours due to Dallas wx. Having been down this road before on hopped on 470 to phx now and staying the night there and out at 7 am.

FWIW a non related bonus —it seems all the 319’s still have go go inflight so as a t mobile user it’s free.
Are the 319’s and 190’s the only mainline aircraft with Gogo WiFi?
Old Oct 27, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by JakeRobertson212
Are the 319’s and 190’s the only mainline aircraft with Gogo WiFi?
A320 as well, which is the only redeeming thing about that fleet
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not surprising that this thread is getting almost no posts these days. That's because AA now routinely has fewer than 10 systemwide cancellations a day out of more than 3000 flights. And they're now routinely achieving zero cancellation days. I'm sure these numbers will worsen with the upcoming winter weather, but this is an extraordinary improvement from the mechanics-related slowdown of last spring. The only airline in the world currently more reliable than AA is DL, and it's by a whisker.
AANYC1981 and Mike Gilbert like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.