Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2019 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
2019 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)

With hundreds of annual reports of and queries about delayed, diverted, canceled flights we have established this consolidated thread to prevent these from overwhelming other forum threads.

For assistance and useful resources when your flight is affected, see AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, travel policy, delay, cancel etc. resources (master thread)

● For information on current and recent AA flight delays, check out: AACargo.com

● For information on U.S. Airport Delays, check out: FAA Flight Delay Information

● For information about holds, delays, etc. on airports, flights, historical data check FlightStats.

KVS Availability Tool - read here for further information, with access to WSpan Operational Info.

ExpertFlyer also provides FLIFO / Flight Status Comments for current flights in it's Flight Status section here.

● For "translation" of FLIFO terms, use this page on FlyerGuide.

● For current and forecasted weather delays, use Weather.com Airport Delays

● To see a flight's path within the US radar areas and delay histories, use FlightAware flight tracking. (N.B. Some features require a free signup.)
Print Wikipost

Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2019 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
AA755 appears to be returning.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
AA 688 the 10:55 AM PHL-MCO today on an A-330-200 cancelled for maintenance. I was booked on it. My 5th AA cancellation this year, some average.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:32 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smuDC-10

Is the cancellation due to AA’s maintenance debacle with their unions and contract renewals? Has anyone else had this happen to them recently?
Was also scheduled to be on this flight on Friday. They did not have a suitable alternative so for the THIRD TIME IN TWO WEEKS, due to maintenance-related delays or cancellations I cancelled my ticket and rebooked on another carrier.

This is the official note on ExpertFlyer:
1DFW/LX CANCEL DFW -LAX -XOP *1729
7DFW/AUTO REACCOM CXL FLT COMPLETED SEE N*P1AA0369DFW21JUN *1915*CRCYMG
1LAX/LX CANCEL LAX -DFW -XEO-CXLD DUE TO PREVIOUS OPERATIONAL CXLD*1729
7LAX/AUTO REACCOM CXL FLT COMPLETED SEE N*P1AA0369LAX21JUN *1915*CRCYMG
1DFW*/LX CANCEL LAX -DFW -XEO-CXLD DUE TO PREVIOUS OPERATIONAL CXLD*1729

Not sure what "previous operational CXLD" means, it's not a notation I've seen used before. But I'm guessing it's MX-related. Yesterday my AA256, LAX-ORD, went mechanical. We were scheduled to board but the agents at 47B (LAX) kept claiming "the plane is on the way from the hangar." It didn't show, then posted a 2-hour delay 15 minutes after boarding was scheduled to start. I would miss my dinner meeting in ORD and was concerned the flight would go CXLD so I cancelled and rebooked on UA. AA256 did eventually leave, 3h30m late.

I would like to congratulate AA and the TWU-IAM (mechanics) union for coming together to spark a truly great deal. Their refusal to negotiate with each other, resulting in the maintenance slowdown affecting many thousands of travelers this summer already, has created true economic stimulus for United Airlines ($1,780 of my revenue so far) and Delta Airlines ($2,500 of my revenue so far). If they keep this up they might just be seen as the spark that lifted Q3 earnings and RASM for UA, DL, WN and others.

I have not had a single trip since June 1 on AA that wasn't cancelled or delayed 3+ hours out of 5 attempts. One was WX-related, everything else MX-related. Going for great? This company is eating itself from the inside out.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dll
I have not had a single trip since June 1 on AA that wasn't cancelled or delayed 3+ hours out of 5 attempts. One was WX-related, everything else MX-related. Going for great? This company is eating itself from the inside out.
Maintenance delays definitely increased dramatically in the weeks prior to 6/14 as the mechanics ramped up their slowdown. I'm almost 100% sure that slowdown is now gone; it's financially WAY too risky for the union to defy the court's order (if history is any guidance).

So we're back to AA's "regular" operation. The biggest impediment to their reliability is -- like with other airlines -- weather. That said, it's also true that AA's non-weather cancellations are higher than industry leader DL. If you assume the mechanics aren't in slowdown mode, AA is probably going to cancel about 1% of their flights due to non-weather situations. They will also be about 5% lower in on-time performance for DL. Both of those numbers are material. But they're not THAT material. On any given flight, luck is more of a determinant when you're talking 2% cancellations vs. 1% cancellations. My guess is that, as you fly more, you'll have better luck. Last year, I had a long run where 1/3rd of my domestic flights (on multiple airlines) had to make unscheduled landings (mechnical, medical, weather, etc). Those were crazy bad numbers. And then luck started going more in my favor.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:14 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
On any given flight, luck is more of a determinant when you're talking 2% cancellations vs. 1% cancellations. My guess is that, as you fly more, you'll have better luck.
I do hope you are correct! Gonna be a long summer otherwise. LAX, gate 47B had a spell cast over it yesterday; ours, AA256, left 3h30 late for ORD, and AA2, LAX-JFK, left 3h46m late. Both MX-related. It was a juggle to see which flight would dispatch first. JFK won.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
Today marks the sixth time in seven days that AA40 ORD-BCN has been delayed by at least an hour leaving ORD. Scheduled departure is 10pm CDT. Here's when the flight left the past seven days, according to FlightAware:

5/28: 2:45am (4.75h late)
5/29: 9:58pm (on time!)
5/30: 1:58am (4h late)
5/31: 11:45pm (1.75h late)
6/1: 11:03pm (1h late)
6/2: 1:49am (3.75h late)
6/3: 11:23pm (1.5h late)

I would love to have a job that I could keep with a success/approval rate of 14%. This is truly pathetic.
The misery of AA40 has continued despite the restraining order.

Looks like it has been on-time 3 of the last 10 days and has been cancelled twice.
I'm heading to BCN in August but I'm avoiding this flight, which is sad because I actually prefer the later schedule...
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:22 pm

Got an email telling me my 7am DFW-SAN on 6/24 is canceled. Bummer as I had already been upgraded. Switched to 8:40 flight and lo and behold still have a seat in 1st.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I'm attending the Airliners International convention in Atlanta and staying at the Renaissance Concourse Hotel with a runway view room. Looked out from my balcony this afternoon and saw what appeared to be an AA 333. It was AA flight 733 from LHR to CLT diverted to ATL presumably because of weather at CLT. Got a great photo from my room. They're refueling and not allowing anyone off the plane. The aircraft is N277AY.

Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by dls25
The misery of AA40 has continued despite the restraining order.

Looks like it has been on-time 3 of the last 10 days and has been cancelled twice.
I'm heading to BCN in August but I'm avoiding this flight, which is sad because I actually prefer the later schedule...
I am on AA40 next month and been keeping an eye on this flight as well. Pretty worried as we are a family of 4 and getting 4 J seats on an alternate routing last minute is going to be tough. I had actually switched to this from the CLT-BCN flight in order to hopefully get more sleep with the later departure. I doubt they would put me back on that flight if AA40 keeps showing bad performance for another week, but maybe worth a shot?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As expected, the misery of the AA mechanics slowdown seems to be over -- thanks to a very strict court order -- which should be dramatically helping the reliability of the international flights. But the weather misery at DFW continues. Can anyone remember a worse run of debilitating thunderstorms there? DFW consistently has the largest number of flight cancellations of any airport in the world. Yesterday, the thunderstorms moved in late and, it would seem, a large number of evening flights were cancelled (which will lead to more cancellations this morning as the planes and crews are in the wrong place). I assume that meant a lot of people unexpectedly stuck overnight at DFW? Is it still chaotic at the airport during the storms, with long lines for reaccommodation?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:24 am

Didn’t seem to bad. Few more people on standby on my flight. Not too surprising there as the 7am for this morning was canceled last week.

In addition to weather, power was knocked out to ATC and north Texas was down. Love is also having issues.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The same flights/destinations seem to be cursed (at least based on my limited investigation today)...

6/24 AA193 LAX-HKG delayed 18h due to MX
6/24 AA937 MIA-VVI delayed 16.5h due to MX
6/24 AA1297 LAX-MIA delayed 9h due to MX

6/25 AA125 DFW-HKG delayed 7.5h due to MX and subsequent crew timeout
6/25 AA937 MIA-VVI delayed 11h due to MX
6/25 AA1297 LAX-MIA delayed 1.5h due to MX
6/25 AA963 DFW-GRU delayed 2h and counting due to MX
6/25 AA945 DFW-SCL delayed 1.5h and counting due to MX
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, Marriott
Adding some more,
6/25 AA24 DFW-MUC 4 hours late
6/25 AA86 ORD-LHR 2 hours late
6/25 AA160 ORD-ATH 2 hours late
6/25 AA42 ORD-VCE 2.5 hours late
6/25 AA40 ORD-BCN 5 hours late
6/25 AA957 MIA-BCN almost 2 hours late
6/25 AA247 LAX-KOA 4 hours late
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
6/26 AA41 BCN-ORD 3h59m late. One minute shy of EC 261 threshold. I can only imagine the heaven and earth AA must have been moving when that aircraft arrived at ORD. That is of course if the arrival time is even accurate.

Cheers,
LBBZman
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by lbbzman
6/26 AA41 BCN-ORD 3h59m late. One minute shy of EC 261 threshold. I can only imagine the heaven and earth AA must have been moving when that aircraft arrived at ORD. That is of course if the arrival time is even accurate.

Cheers,
LBBZman
AA 40 is running 3 hours late and counting again today. It was 5 hours late yesterday (why AA41 was delayed) . This OTP of this flight is embarrassing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.