Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F meals are getting pared back — again

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Just this week I had a "short rib" reserved and instead got the fillet. So it seems they are actually making the substitutions. I've had the Zoe's charcuterie plate a few times now, and it's pretty good. I quite like the hummus (in contrast with the hummus they have on some shortish flights, which I found nasty, for whatever reason). This is a good option now if you can reserve in advance. The pAAthetic meal selections on a long-haul FC flight may influence my decision as to my routing that I've posted about elsewhere.

ETA: just read the article at VFTW. The substitution in my case was in the opposite direction, from short rib to fillet. (this was on domestic FC) I personally prefer the short rib, as I find it is much less likely to be overcooked.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VXforever
Originally Posted by enviroian
AA is quickly becoming the bottom of the barrel.
i contend that it’s already there.

As I said:

Originally Posted by bse118
You're on quite a crusade...
​​​​​​​
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle

As I said:

sorry, I am not going to stand up for a garbage product like so many of you loyalists do. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:20 pm

sorry, I am not going to stand up for a garbage product like so many of you loyalists do. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
Perhaps you should NOT fly AA or accumulate their program’s miles and take all of your business elsewhere. Then, you can spend your time on your new carrier’s forum much to the chagrin (secret pleasure?) of those on the AA forum.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by rumboj

Perhaps you should NOT fly AA or accumulate their program’s miles and take all of your business elsewhere. Then, you can spend your time on your new carrier’s forum much to the chagrin (secret pleasure?) of those on the AA forum.
believe me, I’ve already stopped flying AA. Mainly DL and UA now. But I need to burn off my AA miles which got me thinking, in light of recent news, how deep in the toilet it’s gotten.
embarcadero1 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ikwia
Just this week I had a "short rib" reserved and instead got the fillet. So it seems they are actually making the substitutions. I've had the Zoe's charcuterie plate a few times now, and it's pretty good. I quite like the hummus (in contrast with the hummus they have on some shortish flights, which I found nasty, for whatever reason). This is a good option now if you can reserve in advance. The pAAthetic meal selections on a long-haul FC flight may influence my decision as to my routing that I've posted about elsewhere.

ETA: just read the article at VFTW. The substitution in my case was in the opposite direction, from short rib to fillet. (this was on domestic FC) I personally prefer the short rib, as I find it is much less likely to be overcooked.
The Zoe’s hummus is not edible it’s gross and a puddle of oil.

I handed it right back and ate 4 packets of biscoff instead.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond

What does that even mean? Hyperbolic criticism is no better than blind loyalty.

Just looking at U.S. airlines: Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, Sun Country and (arguably and in my opinion) Southwest are all clearly more "bottom of the barrel" than AA or UA or DL. And if we want to go international the list gets much, much bigger. There's no rational, fact-based way to conclude that AA is the "bottom of the barrel." Just as there's no rational, fact-based way to conclude it's a world-leading service.

Go ahead, keep grinding your axe. Not sure what satisfaction you are looking for. But don't expect me to consider it a serious and meaningful contribution to this forum.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines

Just looking at U.S. airlines: Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, Sun Country and (arguably and in my opinion) Southwest are all clearly more "bottom of the barrel" than AA or UA or DL. And if we want to go international the list gets much, much bigger. There's no rational, fact-based way to conclude that AA is the "bottom of the barrel." Just as there's no rational, fact-based way to conclude it's a world-leading service.

Go ahead, keep grinding your axe. Not sure what satisfaction you are looking for. But don't expect me to consider it a serious and meaningful contribution to this forum.
I would think it’s commonly assumed when I say bottom of the barrel I am referring to full service carriers like the US 3. They all suck but AA seems to have gone rogue in being the worst.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist

it's no so much the hyperbolic criticism as much as the CONSTANT hyperbolic criticism.

it's like on the Marriott forum. Some posters just complain in every post. Are there issues -yes. Is repeating the same whinging helpful - absolutely not.
JonNYC, aaupgrade, ashill and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
I would think it’s commonly assumed when I say bottom of the barrel I am referring to full service carriers like the US 3. They all suck but AA seems to have gone rogue in being the worst.
in what way? Everyone has different weighting to different things.

I just flew to PVG on the 789 in a BE Aerospace seat that pastes anything UA offers (save for 25 planes which have a comparable product). This is important to me more than champagne glasses. It may not be for you, but unilaterally declaring AA "the worst" is hyperbole.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Breakfast in a bag...cant wait! While we are at it lets bring back the Bistro Bag.

All in all I am most offended by the downsizing of the tray liners.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ikwia

Yeah, steak on a plane even on an airline that spends $$$ is still a risky proposition that can yield shoe leather. Fatty cuts and dishes that are cooked using braises are way more likely to come out edible.

Not an excuse for cheaping out, mind you, but sometimes edible trumps fancy.

coolcoil likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yeah, steak on a plane even on an airline that spends $$$ is still a risky proposition that can yield shoe leather. Fatty cuts and dishes that are cooked using braises are way more likely to come out edible.

Not an excuse for cheaping out, mind you, but sometimes edible trumps fancy.
Agreed, the short rib is a much better option when the meat is being reheated.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Are there a lot of businesses which don't try to cut costs where possible? If reductions in catering don't translate into revenue reduction, why would one expect them not to make the cuts?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Lightbulb

I doubt @JonNYC would agree.
Yeah I'm -super- concerned about the meal situation in/on AA "first class"
Attached Images  
TravelLawyer and dciolli like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.