LAX bag drop on day before the flight

Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
LAX bag drop on day before the flight

Hi, I am doing my usual LHR-LAX-OGG but this time we chose to stay overnight at LAX Hilton before continuing the LAX-OGG leg the next morning.

This is LHR-LAX on BA and LAX-OGG AA. All single ticket.

Would it be OK to drop the bags at AA bag drop on the evening before the next day's morning flight? We usually use the passageway that connects the terminal and drop the bags on AA bag drop, but never left bags overnight.

Thanks!

Last edited by OGG flyer; Mar 22, 2019 at 1:03 am Reason: typos
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
If it is a checked through bag on the same ticket, why don't you just return it after you have cleared customs as you would with a connection on the same day?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi.

I think aa might have restrictions on when they will allow bags to be deposited (12hours? and not sure on overnight)
As the next flight is on aa the op might get more responses on the aa forum

Regards

Tbs
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I suspect that the AA landside checkin desks will not accept a bag for the next day. So don't take your bag into the landside public area.

The AA bag recheck by the customs exit (before you are in the public landside area) may accept the bag, but may not. If you want to try, make sure the bag is tagged to OGG when you check in at LHR. AA may not do that because they have a shorter (typically 12 hour but can be less) restriction on the length of a connection for which they will hold bags in the airport.

So in summary you have to:
  1. Get your bag checked to OGG in LHR.
  2. Get the AA recheck in LAX to accept your bag the day before. They may not check too carefully...
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
I doubt theyll accept it. Even if they do, its ripe to get lost.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
12 hours is the usual through check time cutoff, if the overnight LAX is over 12 hours then I don't think they will accept your bag. If under 12 hours you should have no problem in LHR getting your bag checked all the way through.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by MathMusic
12 hours is the usual through check time cutoff, if the overnight LAX is over 12 hours then I don't think they will accept your bag. If under 12 hours you should have no problem in LHR getting your bag checked all the way through.
I believe MathMusic is absolutely right. Applies to us frequently for LAS-LAX-Asia.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
Originally Posted by OGG flyer
Hi, I am doing my usual LHR-LAX-OGG but this time we chose to stay overnight at LAX Hilton before continuing the LAX-OGG leg the next morning.

This is LHR-LAX on BA and LAX-OGG AA. All single ticket.

Would it be OK to drop the bags at AA bag drop on the evening before the next day's morning flight? We usually use the passageway that connects the terminal and drop the bags on AA bag drop, but never left bags overnight.

Thanks!
i have had bags checked overnight if i was coming from a previous flight. I always had to request it since the system will not automatically due to the length of the connection. I had 17 hour overnight connection in LAX two months and it was transferred with no issues.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Daniel Solis
i have had bags checked overnight if i was coming from a previous flight. I always had to request it since the system will not automatically due to the length of the connection. I had 17 hour overnight connection in LAX two months and it was transferred with no issues.
Thank you. Yes I can confirm this is indeed the case - dropped the bags around 5:30pm for a 8:35am flight on the next day. No problem at all.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Thank you. Yes I can confirm this is indeed the case - dropped the bags around 5:30pm for a 8:35am flight on the next day. No problem at all.
Did you drop the bags at the recheck after customs or at normal check-in desks in the terminal?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: Executive Platinum
Perhaps it varies by airport? I fly to DFW from ORD, spend the night, and then fly to OGG the next morning. When I ask, they tell me the layover needs to be less than 12 hours.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:13 am

Are you guys flying business or economy? Why not LHR-DFW-OGG or something for the lie flat seats?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Did you drop the bags at the recheck after customs or at normal check-in desks in the terminal?
​​​​​​There is no need to recheck or go landside. We go through immigration,collect bags and use the passageway that connects Bradley to T4 so that no need to go landside. Leads you straight to AA bag drop off in T4. I asked two AA staff members next to dropoff carousel,they said no problem.
At LHR they always print the boarding passes for the AA leg so never had to recheck at LAX.

We never recheck when fly this way,there even is no need to speak to anyone or do anything other then drop the bags on the carousel for the AA flight,
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
​​​​​​
We never recheck when fly this way,there even is no need to speak to anyone or do anything other then drop the bags on the carousel for the AA flight,
Dropping the bags on the carousel after you exit customs is actually what I meant by 'recheck'.

Thank you for the information!

Last edited by Andriyko; Mar 25, 2019 at 8:42 am
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:18 am
Original Poster

We fly Y usually - with the frequency we fly this route it it would be just too much to do this in J.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.