Community
Wiki Posts
Search

recommended routing CDG-LAX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:13 pm

#2 hands down for me. International F is always > domestic F, one long flight is easier than two medium flights WRT jet lag (for me), if things go south I'd rather be stuck at LHR than JFK, and I'd rather take care of immigration at LAX than JFK.
Mwenenzi and Donald.Trump like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gateH15
Option 2 on BA will be economy seat with blocked middle so not real biz.
CDG LHR is a 216 mile flight (~35-40min flying?). Do the pilots even lift the wheels ? (probably yes ).
Like any flight now days a lot of scheduled time is spend driving around taxiways/waiting in a queue on the ground.

Arriving at 20:45 (option 2) is better than arriving at 22:04.
But option 2 has immigration/customs so will take longer to get on the street after landing.
What is the on time performance of all these flights? [both options]
Donald.Trump likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 21, 2019 at 7:27 pm
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Arriving at 20:45 is better than arriving at 22:04.
But option 2 has immigration/customs so will take longer to get on the street after landing.
Although surely not 75 minutes longer
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What is the on time performance of all these flights? [both options]
96% / 19m for LHR-LAX and 92% / 31m for JFK-LAX. With the long layovers, I'm not too concerned about the first legs of each itinerary (I know, famous last words).
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Would go with #1 for sure. Deciding factor for me would be that FFD is better than difference between 77W F/J.

But, if you really want to try both F products, why not do CDG-LHR-JFK-LAX? (Provided the schedule works for connecting to/from the LHR-JFK 77W)

CX F@LHR+FFDx2. This is FT, right?
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by econ
Would go with #1 for sure. Deciding factor for me would be that FFD is better than difference between 77W F/J.

But the choice isn't between F and J on the 77W. If anything, it's between F on the 321T and F on the 77W.

But, if you really want to try both F products, why not do CDG-LHR-JFK-LAX? (Provided the schedule works for connecting to/from the LHR-JFK 77W)

CX F@LHR+FFDx2. This is FT, right?
LOL, yes, it is. I'm not sure I need a gratuitous extra segment, and an itinerary like that would leave to some combination of tighter connections, earlier departure (I'm trying to avoid an early morning flight), or later arrival (a concern only because I do have my onward trip to Asia in the morning).
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

For completeness, I did check on this itinerary. The only reasonable itinerary (for me) has only an 85 minute minute layover at JFK (not enough time for FFD) but more importantly is already full in F on the LHR-JFK segment. There is a later set of flights, but it too has a short connection at JFK (89 minutes) and relies on the 9:29pm flight out of JFK, which gets abbreviated service (and arrives at 1am).
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve

Originally Posted by ikwia
But the choice isn't between F and J on the 77W. If anything, it's between F on the 321T and F on the 77W.

LOL, yes, it is. I'm not sure I need a gratuitous extra segment, and an itinerary like that would leave to some combination of tighter connections, earlier departure (I'm trying to avoid an early morning flight), or later arrival (a concern only because I do have my onward trip to Asia in the morning).
Well, if you look at it like that, the 77W F seat is nicer than the 321T F seat. Although I’ve experienced better service in F on the 321T, on average. Either way, I’d still prefer the 1st option though.

Also, the 4+ hr layover at JFK is probably longer than you need. I’ve been on TATL into JFK that have arrived 30-60 min early. 2-3 hr would be optimal to provide enough time for FFD as well as get you into LAX earlier. But if the earlier JFK-LAX flight results in a <2 hr connection, I’d avoid that.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Ideal routing for these cities is CDG-LHR-PHL-DFW-LAX
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by VXforever
Ideal routing for these cities is CDG-LHR-PHL-DFW-LAX
cuz who doesn’t love flying on LUS metal
jtav559 and Donald.Trump like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Well if you're not dead set on flying Oneworld, there's always Air France F direct flight. It's probably the best F you'll get going between the two cities.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Also, the 4+ hr layover at JFK is probably longer than you need. I’ve been on TATL into JFK that have arrived 30-60 min early. 2-3 hr would be optimal to provide enough time for FFD as well as get you into LAX earlier. But if the earlier JFK-LAX flight results in a <2 hr connection, I’d avoid that.
The earlier flight would be at 1630, so just over 2 hours scheduled. That’s not enough time for me to drink enough Krug to assist VXforever in her quest to hurt AA
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gateH15

cuz who doesn’t love flying on LUS metal
On a serious note, I’ve heard hat the A330 J hard product is nice. I believe I have flown it but don’t have good recollection.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK
Well if you're not dead set on flying Oneworld, there's always Air France F direct flight. It's probably the best F you'll get going between the two cities.
Excellent point. But I’m pretty set on OW, and even if I stray, I need to be Fly America Act compliant. And DL only sells the direct as J.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:58 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by ikwia

On a serious note, I’ve heard hat the A330 J hard product is nice. I believe I have flown it but don’t have good recollection.
I have flown this recently and it is indeed quite good.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I think both itineraries have benefits and drawbacks, so it's a tough call. I probably would choose #2 if push came to shove, but I see a case for #1 as well. Here are my thoughts in no particular order:

1. #2 gets you into LAX earlier, but you'll be arriving as an international passenger and will need to clear immigration and customs. With #1 , you'll arrive as a domestic passenger and can go straight to your hotel. Moreover, the transcon flights often arrive early, particularly if there are no delays getting out of JFK.

2. First class on the 321T is nice, but it doesn't beat F on the 77W. In my opinion, it's not even as nice as J on the 77W because the angle of reverse herringbone seat on the 321T makes it harder to get in and out of, and I actually find the seat somewhat claustrophobic. And I'm a short, slender person.

3. Of course, the flip side with #2 is that you have to survive BA J (essentially an economy seat with an empty middle) for an hour.

4. FFD at JFK is great and probably beats any option at LHR. That said, the CX F lounge at LHR comes close, I think, and has a nice a la carte option as well. Another consideration for me when it comes to lounges, though, are the showers. Even more than a nice, sit-down meal, I like showering before/after long flights, and I really dislike the showers in the renovated AA lounges (JFK, LAX, DFW A, ORD, etc.). They all lack water pressure. On the other hand, I'm a fan of the showers in the CX LHR lounge.

5. LHR Flight Connections is a huge pain.

6. For me, finding an opportunity in the future to fly the 77W F would be harder than finding a future opportunity to use FFD at JFK or fly F on the 321T. But that might not be true for you.
Donald.Trump likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.