recommended routing CDG-LAX

Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
recommended routing CDG-LAX

I need to fly from CDG to LAX. I am considering the following 2 itineraries, which are basically the same cost. I am curious which you guys would pick, and why. FWIW, I haven't flown in actual F on the 77W or 32T, and have some interest in trying FFD, which would only be available on itinerary 1 (never used my vouchers last year). I've done the tour of lounges in LHR.

Itinerary 1:
depart CDG 1150, arrive JFK 1415 (J on 772)
depart JFK 1830, arrive LAX 2204 (F on 32T)

Itinerary 2:
depart CDG 1030, arrive LHR 1055 (J on BA operated A320)
depart LHR 1715, arrive LAX 2045 (F on 77W)

Thanks for your suggestions!
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ikwia
I need to fly from CDG to LAX. I am considering the following 2 itineraries, which are basically the same cost. I am curious which you guys would pick, and why. FWIW, I haven't flown in actual F on the 77W or 32T, and have some interest in trying FFD, which would only be available on itinerary 1 (never used my vouchers last year). I've done the tour of lounges in LHR.

Itinerary 1:
depart CDG 1150, arrive JFK 1415 (J on 772)
depart JFK 1830, arrive LAX 2204 (F on 32T)

Itinerary 2:
depart CDG 1030, arrive LHR 1055 (J on BA operated A320)
depart LHR 1715, arrive LAX 2045 (F on 77W)

Thanks for your suggestions!
Honestly both of those are great routings, it really comes down to what you'd like to try more, 77W F or FFD+321T F. I'd probably lean towards option 1, as FFD is very nice, exclusive, and a true differentiating factor over business class. 77W F, on the other hand, is certainly comfortable with more personal space, however it's not that much nicer than business class in general.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The very short flight then the long flight for me. About ~1hr less in the air. Rather than 2 medium time flights
Spend the layover time in the LHR F lounge

Great Circle Mapper
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The very short flight then the long flight for me. About ~1hr less in the air. Rather than 2 medium time flights
Spend the layover time in the LHR F lounge

Great Circle Mapper
I would go with the first option. You get to try FFD at JFK and the seat on 321T will be the same as on 77W.
Option 2 on BA will be economy seat with blocked middle so not real biz.
Also if you go with the route 1 there is a chance that 772 will have a nicer all forward facing Seats in J cabin.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by gateH15

I would go with the first option. You get to try FFD at JFK and the seat on 321T will be the same as on 77W.
I should be able to do FFD at JFK and LAX, yes? (this option also comes with the advantage of clearing customs at JFK)

Also, the seats aren’t the same as I understand it. I believe the 77W is the only AA plane with that swiveling F seat.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by ikwia

I should be able to do FFD at JFK and LAX, yes? (this option also comes with the advantage of clearing customs at JFK)

Also, the seats aren’t the same as I understand it. I believe the 77W is the only AA plane with that swiveling F seat.
sorry I meant that a321T in F will have the same seat as 77W in J.

I sont think you will be able
to access FL or FFD in LAX because rules state that you have to have onward flight with any one world airline departing on the same day or before 6am next day.
I was denied entry to FL at ORD after international trip because I didn’t have any other flight with OW on that day.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Itinerary 2 without a question. Changing in JFK, going through security again is a major hassle. And why not use F on the longer portion of the trip. For me it's a no brainer!
Also you can enjoy the CCR for your lengthy stay over

Last edited by dwugson; Mar 21, 2019 at 5:14 pm Reason: additional comment
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by dwugson
Itinerary 2 without a question. Changing in JFK, going through security again is a major hassle. And why not use F on the longer portion of the trip. For me it's a no brainer!
just to try 2 different products if time is not an issue.
Plus FFD is nice.
JFK is not that bad of you have GE/PreCheck. actually. JFK security is way more enjoyable than LHR ( no need to remove liquids and no one is enforcing if you have a lot of it)
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by gateH15

sorry I meant that a321T in F will have the same seat as 77W in J.

I sont think you will be able
to access FL or FFD in LAX because rules state that you have to have onward flight with any one world airline departing on the same day or before 6am next day.
I was denied entry to FL at ORD after international trip because I didn’t have any other flight with OW on that day.
For access under OW rules, yes...but passengers in F in AA transcons JFK-LAX have access to FFD upon arrival, as well.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by DMPHL
For access under OW rules, yes...but passengers in F in AA transcons JFK-LAX have access to FFD upon arrival, as well.
I was not aware of that. I was in J and not in F so I was denied. It wasn’t a big deal and I went home instead of waiting for my friend who was arriving 40 min later
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dwugson
Also you can enjoy the CCR for your lengthy stay over
Eh, no, CCR is in T5 for eligible BA F pax. OP will be departing T3 on AA.

And as mentioned above, either itinerary will involve clearing security twice, JFK is a heck of a lot easier than LHR.
JDiver and Donald.Trump like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:25 pm

In #2 , with 6 hours at LHR, you have time to head briefly into London, say for lunch and a stroll in Kensington/Hyde Park.

Even if the difference in experience between long-haul J and F is small, I'd still prefer F. Moreover, 321T "F" is essentially the same seat as long-haul J.

I assume you are aware that "Club Europe" J on CDG-LHR will be 30" pitch, and you can tolerate that for a short flight.

You would give up 2x FFD (JFK and LAX). I understand this could be difficult depending on whether you think you'll have another chance to try it.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
In #2 , with 6 hours at LHR, you have time to head briefly into London, say for lunch and a stroll in Kensington/Hyde Park.

Even if the difference in experience between long-haul J and F is small, I'd still prefer F. Moreover, 321T "F" is essentially the same seat as long-haul J.

I assume you are aware that "Club Europe" J on CDG-LHR will be 30" pitch, and you can tolerate that for a short flight.

You would give up 2x FFD (JFK and LAX). I understand this could be difficult depending on whether you think you'll have another chance to try it.
dont forget that F in option 2 will have a lot of non revs who will get better treatment than OP. Jk

lunch in London and stroll in Kensington park for an hour actually sounds like much better option than spending 6 hours in AC (or F part of the AC) in T3.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Definitely 1:
-FFDx2 (yes, you get it on both ends and I don't think there any reports of denials for F pax on JFK-LAX/vv seeking arrival FFD)
-avoiding the "J" experience on CDG-LHR (I don't like fake euro biz for even 5 minutes, sorry)
-clearing customs during the layover instead of at the end of a long travel day (in option 1, after customs you do the FFD, enjoy the flight, then enjoy FFD again and roll out into your Uber when you're good and ready for it... sounds like a winner to me (although I am admittedly the World's Biggest FFD Fan)

contra:
-77W F is pretty cool with the swivel seat, esp. if a window seat is available, and the long-haul product is great with the mattress pad, etc. -- but this matters less on a day flight.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

True, but I'm honestly not that interested, having visited London before. But this is a good suggestion, generally speaking.
Yes I'm aware, and believe I may survive ;-)
I'll definitely have the chance sometime...last year, I always kept saying I'd find a "better opportunity" to use my FFD vouchers (more time, more guests, etc.) and never used them. I won't make that mistake again this year!

Lots of different opinions. I appreciate it, and keep them coming! One other thing is that option 2 gets me to my hotel earlier (even more so since I won't have be tempted to enjoy the Krug at FFD all night) which is prob a good thing given my flight to Asia in the late AM/early afternoon.
Donald.Trump likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.