Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeem AAdvantage Awards Using China Southern Airlines / CZ

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 20, 19, 3:17 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Redeeming AAdvantage MileSAAver Awards on China Southern Airlines / CZ as if 20 March 2019

See the details on this page on aa.com.

AAdvantage miles awards on China Southern do not show on aa.com. Awards must be secured by calling American. No telephone charges are made for awards that can not be secured online.

Member stephem has shared CZ award fare buckets include: F First; O Busines, S Premium Economy (for when AA makes PE available on other than AA) and X Economy. These can be searched for using ExpertFlyer.

NOTE: As awards using CZ are very new, you may encounter AA agents who are unaware AAdvantage miles can be used to secure awards on China Southern Airlines.

See the aa.com award chart here. (Awards redeemed for CZ must be MileSAAver awards.)

See details of MileSAAver awards here: HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

See detailed rules for airline partner awards here: AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 20, 19, 5:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

As of 20 March 2019, AAdvantage members may use AAdvantage miles to secure MileSAAver awards on non-oneworld airline partner China Southern Airlines.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 20, 19, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Very nice. Too bad first class award is not available now.
Old Mar 20, 19, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Just got off the phone with an agent and they didn't even know about it Not a lot of dates available, according to them.
Old Mar 20, 19, 8:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by gosha83 View Post
Just got off the phone with an agent and they didn't even know about it Not a lot of dates available, according to them.
What we have to learn (and add to the Wiki) is what the award fare classes are and where we can find the award seat availability reported. CZ awards can be seen on ExpertFlyer, but as with all awards we will get the information. Kind of like for Etihad calling Fiji, etc.

And with this rolling out today, I expect some AAgents may not be aware, not know how to search, or even to care and just feed us stuff like “you can’t, they’re not part of oneworld” and the like.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 20, 19 at 11:16 pm Reason: Update
Old Mar 20, 19, 11:03 pm

It looks like CZ uses the following buckets for awards X- eco, O-biz and F-first.
When I collected DL miles a while back I had some good luck finding multiple (sometimes as many as 5) biz seats on the A380 LAX-CAN flight. But I did some quick searches now and dont see that to be the case any longer.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 20, 19, 11:17 pm

It is Business Class awards not available for the rest of the year from the USA?
Old Mar 21, 19, 6:14 am
Moderator, Delta & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
As of 20 March 2019, AAdvantage members may use AAdvantage miles to secure MileSAAver awards on non-oneworld airline partner China Southern Airlines.
And, irony of ironies, CZ awards are still available with Delta miles. LAX-CAN in coach comes with a $104 carried-imposed surcharge with DL miles at the moment.

If you're thinking of trying to use delta.com to find awards that may be available with AA miles... just poke a stick in your eye. It will be more satisfying. (Just kidding.)
Old Mar 21, 19, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by stephem View Post
It looks like CZ uses the following buckets for awards X- eco, O-biz and F-first.
When I collected DL miles a while back I had some good luck finding multiple (sometimes as many as 5) biz seats on the A380 LAX-CAN flight. But I did some quick searches now and dont see that to be the case any longer.
My random check of J award availability from SFO, LAX and JFK also returned a bunch of donuts.
Old Mar 21, 19, 11:14 am
Moderator, Delta & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I don't know if AAdvantage will implement CZ blackout dates the same way Delta has but one might consider it when checking for award availability.

Delta's CZ blackout chart:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...rules.html/#um
Old Apr 13, 19, 10:39 pm

No business available

Try to book lax-can-syx in September in business.
searched using CZ sky pearl program, wide open availability every day.
searched using delta, wide open pretty much everyday with multiple flights available each day
called AA, talked with a few agents, no seats available at all each day in September even for the lax-can segment. The agent did find one coach seat available on one day though, and she seems need to request CZ to release that seat to her, which takes only a few minutes.