Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AAdvantage Miles on China Southern Airlines / CZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

As of 20 March 2019, AAdvantage members may earn AA miles flying as follows:

Flights marketed by* American Airlines / AA and operated by China Southern Airlines / CZ:

Earn Elite Qualifying Miles, Dollars and Segments, and Award Miles, per this chart published on aa.com.

Flights marketed by China Southern / CZ and operated by AA or CZ:

Earn Award miles (no EQ Miles, Dollars or Segments) per this chart published on aa.com.

It is always suggested you keep e-tickets, receipts and boarding passes (or screenshots) until the miles, etc. have fully posted in your AAdvantage account. Airport check in is always with the operating airline.

NOTE: Flights marketed by China Southern / CZ and operated by other airlines than AA and CZ will not earn AAdvantage miles.

*”Marketed by” does not mean “sold by” or “ticket stock of”; marketed by means the flight you are taking as reflected on tickets and boarding passes as the flight number. E.g. “AA6789 operated by China Southern”, or “CZ7890 operated by American Airlines”.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 23, 2019 at 9:53 pm
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
This could be great as cz has consistently low fairs but I’m totally confused about eqm. The chart doesn’t mention eqm

do do you only earn eqm if the flight is a code share or do we earn eqm on all cz flights?

for example cz300 connecting on cz351 to sin. Do these flights earn eqm?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nuhusky
This could be great as cz has consistently low fairs but I’m totally confused about eqm. The chart doesn’t mention eqm

do do you only earn eqm if the flight is a code share or do we earn eqm on all cz flights?

for example cz300 connecting on cz351 to sin. Do these flights earn eqm?
The OP clearly specifies if you fly CZ marketed flights operated by AA or CZ you earn no EQM, only AA award miles. This is pretty standard with non-oneworld partners.

Flights marketed by China Southern / CZ and operated by AA or CZ:

Earn Award miles (no EQ Miles, Dollars or Segments) per this chart published on aa.com.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
CZ have some really great fares, but I've never flown them before because at the time I didn't want to fly ST when CA have pretty similar fares and they're *A. I really hope that they'll join OW in the near future. Hopefully CX won't veto their entry.

I guess I'm asking this just so that I know for sure that I didn't misunderstood the OP, but if I purchase an airfare on CZ that is marketed and operated by them from say, YVR-CAN or YVR-SIN with a layover in CAN, and assuming the booking class actually qualifies for miles, then I'll earn AA miles which will keep my AA miles account active and not have those points expire? Not sure what V and Z class fares are, but they earn at least 10%. Most of the cheap fares that I've seen on CZ are in the Q class range., which should get me 25% of the miles flown.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by lsquare
I guess I'm asking this just so that I know for sure that I didn't misunderstood the OP, but if I purchase an airfare on CZ that is marketed and operated by them from say, YVR-CAN or YVR-SIN with a layover in CAN, and assuming the booking class actually qualifies for miles, then I'll earn AA miles which will keep my AA miles account active and not have those points expire? Not sure what V and Z class fares are, but they earn at least 10%. Most of the cheap fares that I've seen on CZ are in the Q class range., which should get me 25% of the miles flown.
Yes, any CZ marketed and operated flight in one of the listed fare classes (I don't know if that's all, but given both the number of fare classes and the range of earning rates, I would assume that is most if not all of the paid face classes on CZ) will earn at least some AA miles. Any earning or redemption of AA miles will keep your AA miles active, extending the expiration date of all your miles to 18 months in the future. Of course, there are far easier ways to earn or redeem at least 1 mile if that's your goal, but if you're flying CZ anyway, that will extend the AA miles.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashill
Yes, any CZ marketed and operated flight in one of the listed fare classes (I don't know if that's all, but given both the number of fare classes and the range of earning rates, I would assume that is most if not all of the paid face classes on CZ) will earn at least some AA miles. Any earning or redemption of AA miles will keep your AA miles active, extending the expiration date of all your miles to 18 months in the future. Of course, there are far easier ways to earn or redeem at least 1 mile if that's your goal, but if you're flying CZ anyway, that will extend the AA miles.
What are the cheaper and easier methods?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

What are the cheaper and easier methods?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...an-flying.html
ashill likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I wonder if the CZ-operated AA-marketed codeshare fares will be significantly higher than the CZ-marketed fares.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DMPHL
I wonder if the CZ-operated AA-marketed codeshare fares will be significantly higher than the CZ-marketed fares.
Likely, and there’s lots of precedent for that.
GTITAN, lsquare and boss315 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If one doesn't care about elite status on AA, wouldn't they be excited with this development? MU, CA, and CZ have really cheap J fares to Asia; at least when compared to its peers. Heck, I've seen cheap J fares to Australia with MU with a connection at PVG. It's a shame that CZ isn't in OW as that could be a cheap method to earning status on OW.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:50 am
Suspended

If one doesn't care about elite status on AA, wouldn't they be excited with this development? MU, CA, and CZ have really cheap J fares to Asia; at least when compared to its peers. Heck, I've seen cheap J fares to Australia with MU with a connection at PVG. It's a shame that CZ isn't in OW as that could be a cheap method to earning status on OW.
I believe that you can still earn lifetime miles with AA when flying any airline partner. So when fly CZ you don't get EQM but you will get lifetime miles. Please correct me if I was wrong.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chongcao
I believe that you can still earn lifetime miles with AA when flying any airline partner. So when fly CZ you don't get EQM but you will get lifetime miles. Please correct me if I was wrong.
Unless I'm mistaken, the lifetime miles requires AA marketed flights, which will probably be more expensive.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You are mistaken.

Miles earned toward Million MilerSM status are based on the distance of your flight for travel on American marketed flights or the base miles earned for travel on eligible partner marketed flights.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...er-program.jsp
lsquare and JDiver like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You are mistaken.

Miles earned toward Million MilerSM status are based on the distance of your flight for travel on American marketed flights or the base miles earned for travel on eligible partner marketed flights.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...er-program.jsp
I'm surprised this thread isn't getting more attention then. Thx for the correction. This is pretty exciting news.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Look forward to them joining OW!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.