Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage MileSAAver: Through Award Fare Restriction Dec 2018

AAdvantage MileSAAver: Through Award Fare Restriction Dec 2018

Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:57 pm

double post
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
So can I just confirm/clarify that we can no longer build or piece together a single priced award?

In my situation; Australia to Europe is via Asia. Normally I would search Australia-Europe, since this is rarely available, I would then piece together Australia-Asia plus Asia-Europe award = Australia to Europe.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by alanslegal
So can I just confirm/clarify that we can no longer build or piece together a single priced award?

In my situation; Australia to Europe is via Asia. Normally I would search Australia-Europe, since this is rarely available, I would then piece together Australia-Asia plus Asia-Europe award = Australia to Europe.
As long as there is no married segment availability issue, that will be fine. If , for example, you want to go LHR-KUL-SYD, if MH availability is not impacted by married segments, all will be ok

If MH uses married segment availability and LHR-KUL or KUL-SYD is zero , then you wont be able to book it (other than as separate bookings ) even if the 2 were available standalone ; I haven't come actoss issues on the Australia to Europe runs
alanslegal likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: Everyone!
Nothing new but just going to whine again about the games they play. I want to fly EZE-MIA-BWI for 30K one way economy milesaaver a year out

OLD (front page) booking tool)
No results at all as point-to-point (EZE-MIA-BWI)
EZE-MIA available for 30K as nonstop "economy milesaaver"
MIA-BWI available for 30K as nonstop "economy anytime"
.....so could be had at 60K worst case in separate reservations and try and get them combined

New booking tool
130K for point-to-point (EZE-MIA-BWI) !!!!!
Same 30K / 30K "main cabin" options individually as old booking tool
.....so could be had at 60K worst case in separate reservations and try and get them combined

So who wants to pay 70K surcharge fee to have the legs on one reservation? Geez I get maybe one of my legs isn't milesaaver yet, but the premium on the married segment is ridiculous
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
One interesting married segment trend I've seen is ex-LGA/NYC. Non-stop savers to some markets (PIT, CLE, CMH) are few and far between and require a connection. Yet, LGA-ORD savers are readily available pretty much all day with connection via those same three cities. Searching for LGA-CLE, CMH and PIT typically produces no nonstop savers. LGA-PIT on April 17th as an example. Nothing from LGA, although I could get a one stop from HPN or ISP. LOL.

Yet, savers are available on LGA-ORD via PIT, CMH or CLE. Had a similar option a few weeks ago but wound up flying EWR-PIT on UA for 10K. The cheapest one way Y on the US3 was $500. LOL.

Air Houston likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: BA
What happens if you get sick and are unable to continue your itinerary at PIT?
Air Houston likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Probably a sightly different issue but tangentially related and extremely frustrating:

PSP-PHX-EWR business saver available on both flights
PSP-PHX-JFK business saver only available on the second flight, economy on the first.

Same exact dates, same exact PSP-PHX flight. Coach if you're going to JFK, business if you're going to EWR. Why play these games, AA?!

Last edited by justforfun; Apr 13, 2019 at 1:11 pm
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
As long as there is no married segment availability issue, that will be fine. If , for example, you want to go LHR-KUL-SYD, if MH availability is not impacted by married segments, all will be ok

If MH uses married segment availability and LHR-KUL or KUL-SYD is zero , then you wont be able to book it (other than as separate bookings ) even if the 2 were available standalone ; I haven't come actoss issues on the Australia to Europe runs
How long has this policy been in place? Just a few months ago I booked at the 330 day mark PPT-AKL-DOH-CDG adding one segment each time over three days (TN/QR/QR). Would I be able to do this now?

Do we know which carriers are using this for award tickets? I have most definitely seen CX doing this... with availability at ZERO if you originate or terminate in HKG...

With all of AA's shenanigans I am so done with them... used all of my remaining miles for a trip to PPT... all gone and have no intention of earning any more.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:18 am

I don't understand why AA went through the trouble of doing this if they are going to end up with dynamically-priced awards shortly.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wiivile
I don't understand why AA went through the trouble of doing this if they are going to end up with dynamically-priced awards shortly.
I'm guessing that neither does AA understand why.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
I'm guessing that neither does AA understand why.
maybe they just want to prevent anyone from getting too much value from their miles on AA's own metal, before dynamically priced awards are introduced, when miles will have an average of 1 cent per mile.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:24 am

Here's a flip side of married segments - June 9th, LAS-MIA flight 2341 (the redeye) is only available with an anytime award of 50k miles. But LAS-MIA-TPA or LAS-MIA-EYW are available as anytime awards at 30k. Yes, there is a risk of a re-route through some other hub instead of Miami, and won't work if I want to check luggage, but that's a fairly large Delta.
Air Houston likes this.

Last edited by MIAFlyer; Apr 18, 2019 at 7:35 am Reason: added specific flight info
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:38 pm
formerly smoaky

AA searches are simply awful at the moment. Every saver fare is routed in some insane way.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by smoaky
AA searches are simply awful at the moment. Every saver fare is routed in some insane way.
It is bizarre. I recently booked a Milesaaver first/business award from IAD to SJD. I thought myself very lucky to find a departure and return about a week apart within a given month, departing and arriving from the same DC area airport, with a single non-overnight connection. Most options involved different departure and arrival airports, overnight layovers or triple connections in random nonhub cities. If you aren’t super flexible it’s useless.

Last edited by chazas; Apr 19, 2019 at 6:15 am
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: aadvantage, mileage plus, millemiglia
Can I drop the last segment of a one way award ticket? I know that this is prohibited, and occasionally penalized, with cash fares, but was wondering if this is also prohibited for award tickets. Perhaps as a result of these type of married segment rules, I am finding some business saver fares to places I don't want to go, but with a first leg that would be desirable (i.e. ORD-LHR, not itself available, is available as part of ORD-LHR-SVO). I'm sorry if this is covered elsewhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.