Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage MileSAAver: Through Award Fare Restriction Dec 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage MileSAAver: Through Award Fare Restriction Dec 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by goldmarch
Can I drop the last segment of a one way award ticket? I know that this is prohibited, and occasionally penalized, with cash fares, but was wondering if this is also prohibited for award tickets. Perhaps as a result of these type of married segment rules, I am finding some business saver fares to places I don't want to go, but with a first leg that would be desirable (i.e. ORD-LHR, not itself available, is available as part of ORD-LHR-SVO). I'm sorry if this is covered elsewhere.
it's technically prohibited under the contract of carriage but it's questionable as to whether or not it's legally enforceable. what if you get ill during your connecting time and are unable to continue travel?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Can I drop the last segment of a one way award ticket? I know that this is prohibited, and occasionally penalized, with cash fares, but was wondering if this is also prohibited for award tickets. Perhaps as a result of these type of married segment rules, I am finding some business saver fares to places I don't want to go, but with a first leg that would be desirable (i.e. ORD-LHR, not itself available, is available as part of ORD-LHR-SVO). I'm sorry if this is covered elsewhere.
Yes, can can no show the last segment. You won't have a problem.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm burning through my mileage stockpile ever so slowly so I can be done with dealing with this. The main thing that frustrates me is if I book a month or two out, I see a connection available with a massive layover time. Then I have to check every day and waste my time until the shorter, LOGICAL connection finally shows up (hopefully). It's absolutely asinine, as I can see A-B & B-C available at saver, but those flights as A-B-C they don't show initially until closer to departure. This is such a mess of an airline when it come to awards and loyalty...
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Married segments -

Originally Posted by VXforever
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: American Airlines is a garbage airline.

This is just further proof. Even UA doesn't do this.
UA does this with paid tickets - can't find the inventory in separate searches and put them together. This whole game has become cat and mouse and I no longer do it often enough to be a decent cat.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: Everyone!
Yup, I am giving all the business I can to Southwest, at least they don't play games. Unfortunately, they really don't fly anywhere either, if you care to ever leave North America or a little of the Caribbean.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wiivile

it's technically prohibited under the contract of carriage but it's questionable as to whether or not it's legally enforceable. what if you get ill during your connecting time and are unable to continue travel?
On the contrary, dropping the last segment(s) of an AAdvantage award is expressly permitted -- without charge -- as long as doing so does not change the award's destination zone. The complicating factor these days is that AA might not allow you to drop the B-C segment on an A-B-C award ticket if A-B is not available as a stand-alone SAAver award at the time when you want to drop the B-C segment.

Note that calling AA to drop a segment from a ticketed award is different than merely no-showing for the last segment on an award ticket.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
UA does this with paid tickets - can't find the inventory in separate searches and put them together. This whole game has become cat and mouse and I no longer do it often enough to be a decent cat.
Married segment logic on revenue tickets is an industry standard practice (yes, WN does it too) and not really at all controversial. It is different from award tickets as airlines have unique fare filings for each route (one for A-B, B-C, and A-C). If a G fare is $100 on A-B and B-C, and $150 on A-C, it is completely understandable why they might want to have different bucket levels for A-B-C routing for an A-C through fare (because they can sell A-B and B-C separately on G fares and make more money than selling those segments together on a single A-C G fare).

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 23, 2019 at 4:24 pm
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once, or every time you fly on on award ticket?

Ie, they may not pay much attention if you do it once, but if you make it into a pattern and AA happens to spot that pattern...
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Been true ever since they introduced married segments. It’s the same application just the opposite scenario.
I will henceforth refer to them as divorced segments.
renila likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gq_dq
I will henceforth refer to them as divorced segments.
Why? just to make sure that people don't know what you are referring to, when there is a standard term?

Married sector availability relates to availability for connecting segments; whether that means that there is availability only when connecting or that there is no availability when connecting but there is standalone, it is the same thing
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by guv1976
On the contrary, dropping the last segment(s) of an AAdvantage award is expressly permitted -- without charge -- as long as doing so does not change the award's destination zone. The complicating factor these days is that AA might not allow you to drop the B-C segment on an A-B-C award ticket if A-B is not available as a stand-alone SAAver award at the time when you want to drop the B-C segment.

Note that calling AA to drop a segment from a ticketed award is different than merely no-showing for the last segment on an award ticket.
Where do you see this? Regardless, to my original point, I don't think you need AA's permission not to fly in an airplane.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wiivile
Where do you see this? Regardless, to my original point, I don't think you need AA's permission not to fly in an airplane.
You may not need AA's permission to no-show on one of their flights, but doing so could violate AA's Contract of Carriage, and could -- if done often enough under circumstances evincing an intent to game the system -- result in unpleasant consequences for an AAdvantage member.

For the ability to drop segments for free on AAdvantage awards, see this thread:

ARCHIVE: 2015-16 Award change date change route all changes
​​​​​
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Why? just to make sure that people don't know what you are referring to, when there is a standard term? Married sector availability relates to availability for connecting segments; whether that means that there is availability only when connecting or that there is no availability when connecting but there is standalone, it is the same thing
You're correct, it's married segment logic in reverse. After all, can't divorce if not married! But no worries, I'm sure people will figure it out... that's just how I am going to refer to such instances. Actually I think I previously called them "un-married" here, but "divorced" sounds more apposite ("contra-married"!). In that linked thread which contains the full exposé, I ran into a stone wall with AY pulling kinda the same stunt when I tried to get from the Caribbean to Asia. So I deep'd the AY plan and constructed a whole new routing on IB-EY on an AA Award. At least I avoided the frostbite of transiting HEL in the middle of Jan.

Didn't realize that AA would start plodding down the same path. With programming logic getting smarter by the day, no surprise they're going to squeeze the max miles they can every which way by customizing essentially every origin-destination search that one can do.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; (HP-FF>US DM - RIP);Marriott Lifetime Plat and a bunch of others
First, I love it here. Don't post too often but learn a lot. Thanks to everyone.

So, recently, booked IAH to LHR to DEL (on BA) paying 70k miles as one award then DEL to CMB (on UL) as a second paying 30K miles (BTW, cancelled that trip after the unfortunate recent events). This was two distinct PNRs and two distinct awards for one one-way trip. Are you saying I could have called and combined the two to reduce the cost (miles)?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by talkandfly
Are you saying I could have called and combined the two to reduce the cost (miles)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.