Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage MileSAAver: Through Award Fare Restriction Dec 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage MileSAAver: Through Award Fare Restriction Dec 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Requiring connecting itineraries like this (two PNR's for 2 nonstops) has another 'enhancement' effect:

Change fees and other fees are also potentially increased.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
Requiring connecting itineraries like this (two PNR's for 2 nonstops) has another 'enhancement' effect:

Change fees and other fees are also potentially increased.
When redeeming AAdvantage miles, note that a single ticket can hold multiple awards.

If the multi-city award-booking engine will not let you reserve the two nonstops, put the two nonstops on hold on separate PNRs, call AA to combine them, and then go back to aa.com to purchase the award itinerary on a single ticket.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by guv1976
When redeeming AAdvantage miles, note that a single ticket can hold multiple awards.

If the multi-city award-booking engine will not let you reserve the two nonstops, put the two nonstops on hold on separate PNRs, call AA to combine them, and then go back to aa.com to purchase the award itinerary on a single ticket.
This used to work but have you done this recently? I tried last week and was told that the agents are tied to the computer.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
This used to work but have you done this recently? I tried last week and was told that the agents are tied to the computer.
I have not tried this lately.

Are you saying that you placed two flights on separate holds, and you then called AA and requested that the two flights be be put on a single ticket as two awards (at the higher mileage required for two awards)?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have not tried this lately.

Are you saying that you placed two flights on separate holds, and you then called AA and requested that the two flights be be put on a single ticket as two awards (at the higher mileage required for two awards)?
If there is no availability due to married segment availability being different to standalone availability, then I would not expect the agent to be able to combine into a through itinerary with 2 awarss. Once comboned, then the availabioity wiuld be based on the through availability
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If there is no availability due to married segment availability being different to standalone availability, then I would not expect the agent to be able to combine into a through itinerary with 2 awarss. Once comboned, then the availabioity wiuld be based on the through availability
Why? Since one ticket can contain multiple separate awards, why would putting two separate one-way awards on a single ticket require through-award availability?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Why? Since one ticket can contain multiple separate awards, why would putting two separate one-way awards on a single ticket require through-award availability?
I don't get it either.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by beachfan
I wasn't aware American announced married segments publicly at all. Can you point out the announcement please?
They at the very least confirmed the increased availability on connecting flights to Cranky Flier. They may have said the same thing on the record to other bloggers; I’m not sure. That was the genesis of the long thread on this topic. Of course, AA didn’t present the corollary that all award availability would be based on married segments, both to the benefit and to the detriment of AAdvantage customers. AA only making the AAA-BBB-CCC flights with lousy connection times available at the SAAver level even when all the individual flights are available strikes me as particularly sleazy.

Whether making AAA-CCC via BBB unavailable when AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC are both available is married segment availability or some other term strikes me as strictly a matter of semantics. Everyone agrees both on the practical effects and when it started; the only disagreement is whether the same term applies to both concepts. Rather silly to go on like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Does AA want to force separate awards to be on separate tickets to require multiple change fees for any changes and to leave you SOL on the second award if the first gets cancelled for whatever reason (schedule change, IRROPS, etc)? Such a restriction would essentially be like combinability requirements that are common on paid tickets, where two one way segments on one ticket are much more expensive than they would be on separate tickets.

I’m purely guessing here.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Becuase , although you may be happy to pay for 2 awards, once A-B is put onto the same booking as B-C , it would revert to being an A-C via B booking
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: Everyone!
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I did this last week.

My method was to complain about the error on the old booking tool which was generated when trying to choose my preferred routing via manually selecting my two legs in the multiple-city booking option. A-C was showing 57.5K in new booking tool (didn't appear at all in old booking tool), A-B was 12.5K in old booking tool and B-C was 30K in old booking tool. So it should have priced 30K, if not for the "new" married surcharge/ restriction. I could get old booking tool to show 42.5K all the way to the last page via multi-city and then it would error out.

More award availability restricted by married segments / connections

Last edited by PGHflyer; Mar 25, 2019 at 5:47 am
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BA
So partners like BA can't put the 2 flights on the same itinerary either? They can't in my experience - they can book the flights individually, which is often cheaper than doing it with AA due to Avios pricing structure, but you have to pay twice the taxes and more importantly your connection isn't protected. I ran into this on SAT-CLT-LGA. They are charging exorbitant 50k AAnytime award for the whole trip when there is sAAver space on each leg.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: Everyone!
What do you mean by "connection isn't protected?" When I spoke to the AA agent and eventually got mine combined and repriced, he said two separate bookings is no big deal and that they would connect and through-bag check on check-in.

FWIW on the itinerary I was looking at, you are correct, BA showed the same limitation on A-C as AA did, even though A-B and B-C were open in the appropriate fare class.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by PGHflyer
What do you mean by "connection isn't protected?" When I spoke to the AA agent and eventually got mine combined and repriced, he said two separate bookings is no big deal and that they would connect and through-bag check on check-in.

FWIW on the itinerary I was looking at, you are correct, BA showed the same limitation on A-C as AA did, even though A-B and B-C were open in the appropriate fare class.
Not sure why AA would care if you miss your connection if you have 2 separate bookings, but I'm not up to speed on their policies.

I was looking at SAT-CLT-LGA with only a 39 minute connection in CLT. Using Avios, I could book the segments separately but not together on the same itinerary. Of course, it's the same price with Avios, but I'm nervous to keep them separate, even without baggage.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wiivile
Not sure why AA would care if you miss your connection if you have 2 separate bookings, but I'm not up to speed on their policies.

I was looking at SAT-CLT-LGA with only a 39 minute connection in CLT. Using Avios, I could book the segments separately but not together on the same itinerary. Of course, it's the same price with Avios, but I'm nervous to keep them separate, even without baggage.
It is AA's policy to protect on separate tickets, when one ticket is on AA, and the other ticket is on any oneworld carrier (including AA).

You could try calling a BAEC Service Center to see if an agent can place both AA flights on a single ticket. You might or might not be able to get the telephone-ticketing service fee waived, but you should be able to avoid the second $5.60 September 11 security fee if both flights are on a single ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.