Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What do you do when the passenger is quite overweight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do when the passenger is quite overweight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by aerosexual
I was on a flight with a passenger who was quite overweight and took up some of my own seat. The flight attendants were quite rude on this flight and it was full so I didn't bother contact them about it. In retrospect, what should I or you have done? I would have also accepted compensation in this instance but like I said, rude flight attendants so I didn't bother to try.

Anybody have any experience with this? Does AA have a policy for this (relocation or compensation or otherwise?) I have never successfully had an airline issue me one of those sorry/goodwill vouchers. They always just tell me to complain to the online customer service afterwards if they tell me anything at all.

I wrote to the airline afterward about this particular matter, we'll see what happens in that regard.
In answer to the question, I get the first flight out of the US that I can !
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
POS next to me on a flight from JNB to LHR. No way was I going to put up with that for 12 hours. I went to the FA who basically told me there’s nothing she can do. Went to the cabin manager and asked to be offloaded, which they clearly didn’t want 5 minutes prior to departure. He went to have a look at the POS then asked me to wait a moment. They moved a high status passenger from PE to J and put me in their seat.
ijgordon, HMPS, rickg523 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I thought I had read on here that some airlines [I cannot remember if US or Europe] would refund the fee for the second seat if the aircraft went out with at least one empty. That seems fairly reasonable - and if the plane is full then there is no question in my mind that the COS should pay for extra space they need rather than expecting another to donate some space and be uncomfortable too.
HMPS and altabello like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by roberino
POS next to me on a flight from JNB to LHR. No way was I going to put up with that for 12 hours. I went to the FA who basically told me there’s nothing she can do. Went to the cabin manager and asked to be offloaded, which they clearly didn’t want 5 minutes prior to departure. He went to have a look at the POS then asked me to wait a moment. They moved a high status passenger from PE to J and put me in their seat.
That's the thing, whichever is less inconvenient to the airline they will do. Offload just before departure that HAS to be on time - nope, not if it can be helped. All of a sudden, something can be done.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Can this thread not be merged with the 100 similar OMNI-like discussions which go around and around in circles before they are locked?
ijgordon likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I can appreciate OP's question, but these threads never go anywhere. They end up with a lot of finger pointing and sizeism, but I'll weigh in anyway. Almost everyone I've sat next to in Y is understanding and kind in these situations. I've had some folks suggest I raise the armrest if I need (I don't) or joke that they are going to use me as a pillow. These simple acts of kindness remind me that there is good in this world still. And that keeps me going and actually motivates me to eat better and exercise more.

**I say this as this forums resident fat guy, so I may be biased.
lennon, jhartvu and zip10001 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by nk15
Yes, there should be legislation for that smaller percentage that needs accommodations. Pitch and width probably have a cumulative effect to accentuate the problem. My sense is that seat width is also shrinking, such as 10 across instead of 9 on international.

Airlines can use the money they spend on lobbying to pay for these seats.
You can't cram 7 seats onto a 737. So the seat width issue isn't that much of an issue on narrowbody jets.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
If a Passenger of Size (POS) is encroaching on my seat space the armrest will not be raised nor will I meekly sit as he/she spills into the space I paid for. The matter will be raised with the cabin crew before take-off and the only acceptable outcomes are either I get another seat or if the plane is full the POS is off-loaded.

The POS knows what size they are, the size of an airline seat and whether they will fit or not. The airline has a policy of requiring people who can't fit to buy two seats. The rest of us should not be expected to accommodate the airline that doesn't enforce its own policies or the POS who knows full well he/she will encroach on the space of the passengers next to them.
HMPS, aerosexual and redeyedonkey like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
My strategy is also to lower the armrests and put a couple of things next to me like my Iphone charger cord plugged in or a book, headphones. A little OT but a few weeks ago I was sitting in an empty exit row (seat 11A 321) and a very old gentleman (at least 80) asked the FA if he could sit in the aisle seat before take off. I wondered about the ability to assist in an emergency. This poor old guy barely made it on the a/c without a wheelchair, remembering he was holding up the line as he came shuffling down.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by etiene
I thought I had read on here that some airlines [I cannot remember if US or Europe] would refund the fee for the second seat if the aircraft went out with at least one empty.
Southwest in the U.S. does that. I don't know if any other airlines do. I think it is the least worst solution.
etiene likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Upon reflecting on this I think that the airline should be required to provide two adjacent seats for the price of one (second seat free), for customers above certain size. There has to be some ADA type of accommodation. What is happening now is not fair to either COS or other passengers.
The line of thinking in U.S. Federal courts is that obesity is not covered under ADA unless there is a medical impairment that goes with it.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Wow...just wow. I can't believe that you would ask someone who CLEARLY is overweight to "contain themselves". I can't imagine how embarrassing requesting a seatbelt extension or being told you're too big to fit. I understand obesity is possible to control and sometimes it isn't. If "normal" sized people on here bellyache and complain about how uncomfortable flying is, how bad must it be for a COS. They obviously don't try to purposefully invade your space. It's uptight and inconsiderate people like you who make people feel like they need to apologize for everything they often can't control when flying and ultimately makes flying uncomfortable and almost traumatic.

Not sure I would have asked them to contain themselves but if they are overflowing into my seat that I paid for their embarrassment should have caused them to purchase two tickets or business/PE so neither one of use would have to deal with it. I should get the use of the seat I payed for.

Upon reflecting on this I think that the airline should be required to provide two adjacent seats for the price of one (second seat free), for customers above certain size. There has to be some ADA type of accommodation. What is happening now is not fair to either COS or other passengers.
What? Now airlines need to accommodate overweight passengers by giving them an extra seat for free? This cost would obviously be passed on to the majority of people that do not require two seats. Being overweight is not an ADA issue. The only way I see an airline giving an obese passenger an extra seat for free would be if there was empty seats available.

Because it is unfair and discriminatory to charge them double than what others pay, just so they can sit in economy and just travel.
It's not unfair. If you need to two seats you are purchasing two seats, not paying double. You are paying for what you use. I don't like paying for multiple tickets when I go on vacation with the family but I pay for the seats I use. It's the only thing that is fair.

Originally Posted by jcatman
What if there's no Woodford Reserve on the aircraft?
They have Woodford on the aircraft, a whole 3 bottles.
jtav559 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
My take on this: AA apparently has a policy on this issue (see post #5 ). AA should follow its policy. Practically speaking, however, I think that most FAs have enough going on during boarding that they won't look to create an issue where someone isn't complaining (especially something as "touchy" as the POS debate). In instances like this I think it is incumbent on the non-POS to discretely complain to the FAs about the situation. If the FAs follow the policy, then problem solved. If not, then the issue is not the POS themselves, but the fact that AA didn't follow its policy and as a result, you lost some of a seat that you paid for. I think that *if* there is a justifiable request for compensation, it should be for AA not following its policy after bringing it to the FAs attention. However, if the non-POS doesn't raise the issue in real time then I think they have to live with that decision.

I would have handled it as follows. I would have gone to the galley as soon as the POS sat down and spoken to a FA discretely. If the the FA moved the POS, then end of story. If the FA was going to move me to a less desirable seat (e.g., an aisle MCE seat to a middle in the back), then I would insist (discretely) on the POS being moved. If the problem wasn't solved at that point I would ask to speak to the GA (still discretely). At this point the flight would likely be getting closer to departure and they would somehow find a way to make it work. I find that so long as you are firm in your ask, but maintain composure and stay calm, 99% of the time you can get what you want. I see too many people today that just flip their sh*t and then wonder why they got kicked off the plane.
HMPS, wrp96 and aerosexual like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tacostuff
My take on this: AA apparently has a policy on this issue (see post #5 ). AA should follow its policy. Practically speaking, however, I think that most FAs have enough going on during boarding that they won't look to create an issue where someone isn't complaining (especially something as "touchy" as the POS debate). In instances like this I think it is incumbent on the non-POS to discretely complain to the FAs about the situation. If the FAs follow the policy, then problem solved. If not, then the issue is not the POS themselves, but the fact that AA didn't follow its policy and as a result, you lost some of a seat that you paid for. I think that *if* there is a justifiable request for compensation, it should be for AA not following its policy after bringing it to the FAs attention. However, if the non-POS doesn't raise the issue in real time then I think they have to live with that decision.

I would have handled it as follows. I would have gone to the galley as soon as the POS sat down and spoken to a FA discretely. If the the FA moved the POS, then end of story. If the FA was going to move me to a less desirable seat (e.g., an aisle MCE seat to a middle in the back), then I would insist (discretely) on the POS being moved. If the problem wasn't solved at that point I would ask to speak to the GA (still discretely). At this point the flight would likely be getting closer to departure and they would somehow find a way to make it work. I find that so long as you are firm in your ask, but maintain composure and stay calm, 99% of the time you can get what you want. I see too many people today that just flip their sh*t and then wonder why they got kicked off the plane.
Well said. This exact issue happened to me yesterday and that was more or less how I handled it. Unfortunately it was on a CR7 so very small seats, not a lot of alternative spots to choose from, plus during boarding the two FAs were running around like mad to do a quick turnaround. I was one of the first to board but the POS was also disabled (had to board via wheelchair) and therefore had already taken the window seat plus raised the armrest so she could take up most of my aisle seat at well by the time I boarded. I'm a skinny guy and tried to just suck it up, but it was physically impossible to sit down without raising the aisle armrest and blocking the aisle - no way that's safe. I complained to both FAs - I tried to do so discreetly but like I said it's a small aircraft and everything was rushed. FAs never did get back to me to find a new seat, they claimed the flight was full and never even followed up. I finally took initiative and just stole another seat - apparently the FAs were wrong, as there was one empty aisle seat in the front of Y (only one left on the plane) and nobody stopped me from sitting there. Was still a very stressful experience, I have no idea what would've happened if I didn't find that empty seat at the last minute.

I do think the policy in place is fair - I'm sympathetic and know not everyone can easily fit in those seats, but quite frankly you're only entitled to the space armrest-to-armrest. If you need more, buy more space (two seats or sit up front). To do otherwise is selfish and unfair to your fellow travelers. I never found out if my seatmate didn't book two seats or if the airline screwed up and didn't block it properly (I had my aisle seat well before her seat was assigned - the seat next to me happened to be empty for weeks and wasn't assigned till ~8 hours before departure). I definitely plan to file a complaint though, the whole situation could've been handled so much better.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
screw this PC crap, health issues excuses....more than not the person is fat because of eating too much. Just look around at any airport...80% of the people are obese. It's really gross.

I say we charge per lb to fly. Put a scale right up at the counter or gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.