Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why is Europe to Miami route same as route to more northerly airports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6

Why do flights going from Europe to Miami take the same route as a plane day going to New York. Why don’t they take a more southern route direct to Florida.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:40 am

Great Circle routing is the shortest routing. Maps are flat, the earth isn’t. If you look at a globe it will make sense. Maps are distorted because they are by nature, flat.

Google “great circle mapper” and plug in a couple airports: I.e. FRA and MIA and it will show you the shortest route
nancypants, beachmouse and Thysk like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Why do flights going from Europe to Miami take the same route as a plane day going to New York. Why don’t they take a more southern route direct to Florida.
In addition to the GC routing mentioned above, it all depends on the time of year and how the jetstream is moving. In these cases where a Europe to MIA flight flies down the east coast, taking a more southerly route would most likely end up flying head on into the jetstream, and thus an even longer flight time, more fuel burn, etc.
JDiver, wrp96 and catawba like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by rowsign
Great Circle routing is the shortest routing. Maps are flat, the earth isn’t. If you look at a globe it will make sense. Maps are distorted because they are by nature, flat.

Google “great circle mapper” and plug in a couple airports: I.e. FRA and MIA and it will show you the shortest route
have you just opened the door for a flat earthier to come in?
JBauer, EuropeanPete and gateH15 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Why do flights going from Europe to Miami take the same route as a plane day going to New York
They don't

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...ba207#1fd76b1c

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...ba117#1fd755fd
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Free Agent
I've definitely not always flown over the Northeast going to Europe from MIA - though I have sometimes. Madrid and Lisbon, for example, regularly route several hundred miles offshore. And because of winds, return flights are often much further south and east - I've flown over Bermuda several times ex Europe to MIA.

Fun fact for the flat-earthers....Maine is the closest US state to Africa.
JAXBA, Nuhusky, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by PBIGuy
Fun fact for the flat-earthers....Maine is the closest US state to Africa.
Thanks for sharing, I actually had to get up and look at my globe for that one! Assuming of course, there is not some small African Island somewhere that makes this not true.

But to the OP's point, living in Miami, my most common European landing is London, we often fly right up the East Coast of the US.

Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Winds aloft as well as Great Circle routes influence routing (as well as occasional political conditions). That’s how one can fly LAX-HKG and fly up the US and Canada west coast to s.e. Alaska before making the turn towards HKG.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rowsign

Great Circle Mapper
Wickersley likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The spherical shortest routes (geodesics) are visually closer than a straight line on a flat map. Winds could then either bunch them together or spread them apart.

gateH15, JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Adding to the Great Circle Mapper detail provided by CPRich, MIA-JFK-FRA is only 113 miles farther than MIA-FRA.

Great Circle Mapper

Visual Treat: The Great Circle Route for Anchorage-Johannesburg goes right over Helsinki, Finland - not Miami.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Nuhusky

have you just opened the door for a flat earthier to come in?
Nah, they fell off a ways back, took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.
PresRDC, wrp96 and mangoMan like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
The spherical shortest routes (geodesics) are visually closer than a straight line on a flat map. Winds could then either bunch them together or spread them apart.

You will also often see large variation going east vs going west, winds aloft play in quite a bit. Recall a flight to ICN that the route looked crazy in the morning when I looked at it, then captain explained the route was to avoid a 200+ headwind. Fortunately, the return trip took advantage of it, and we arrived close to 2 hours early.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:16 pm

Cheapie Doug is try to screw you on miles earned. /sarcasm/ from the tin foil hats.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by autdi
Nah, they fell off a ways back, took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.
awesome response

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.