Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines - Paid seat upgrades given away

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Hey all! First time poster. Normally fly Delta for everything business/personal but American had the best flight for this trip so gave it a shot.

I was booking my honeymoon from NY to Punta Cana and back and made sure to purchase seat assignments ahead of time as my wife has a small fear of flying. Upon arrive to the airport and checking in for the return flight my main cabin extra seats which I paid for and had receipt of payment in my email we’re not available and my wife and I were placed in two separate rows in different areas of the plane.

I emailed AAs customer complaint line and received a canned response apologizing and saying they cannot provide me any compensation for this matter.

Does this happen often with American? Should I pursue compensation further? Appreciate the advice!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Matt Adams
Hey all! First time poster. Normally fly Delta for everything business/personal but American had the best flight for this trip so gave it a shot.

I was booking my honeymoon from NY to Punta Cana and back and made sure to purchase seat assignments ahead of time as my wife has a small fear of flying. Upon arrive to the airport and checking in for the return flight my main cabin extra seats which I paid for and had receipt of payment in my email we’re not available and my wife and I were placed in two separate rows in different areas of the plane.

I emailed AAs customer complaint line and received a canned response apologizing and saying they cannot provide me any compensation for this matter.

Does this happen often with American? Should I pursue compensation further? Appreciate the advice!
Were the new seats "main cabin extra seats" or normal seats?
What rows did you end up in vs originally selected?
Airlines never guarantee a a particular seat allocation.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:06 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk, Matt. You should definitely receive a refund of the seat assignment fees. If AA is unresponsive, initiate a dispute through your credit card.

AA is the only airline I've ever flown to lose my seat assignments, even in transatlantic business class, so I'm inclined to believe the airline has issues. I avoid AA when possible and suggest you do the same.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Airlines never guarantee a a particular seat allocation.
But when airlines charge different fees for different seats (e.g. forward aisle more expensive than rear window) then the passenger is entitled to a refund when the chosen seat is not delivered.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
But when airlines charge different fees for different seats (e.g. forward aisle more expensive than rear window) then the passenger is entitled to a refund when the chosen seat is not delivered.
Yep. Agree

Is a long running thread on BA forum about seat allocation changes.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA
That is inexcusable. You paid extra for those seats and you are entitled to a refund. Initiate a complaint online through the online complaint form.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
This is sad dude, I can't, AA is a sad airline, I mean c'mon, geez...

Last edited by nk15; Mar 18, 2019 at 1:33 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Just request a refund on prefunds.aa.com
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The issue here is the use of the word "compensation." Presuming that OP and his wife were not placed in MCE or were placed in seats with a lower-price, he is due a refund, not compensation. As noted above by platbrownguy, this can be handled online.

I don't know of any carrier which guarantees seats and certainly DL, UA, and AA, all note that seat assignments are not guaranteed. A refund is, however, due.

BTW - If one is offered alternative MCE seats and those are not acceptable, one may decline those seats and have a full refund of the seat fee and then take whatever the GA assigns.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by davie355
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Matt. You should definitely receive a refund of the seat assignment fees. If AA is unresponsive, initiate a dispute through your credit card.

AA is the only airline I've ever flown to lose my seat assignments, even in transatlantic business class, so I'm inclined to believe the airline has issues. I avoid AA when possible and suggest you do the same.
Really? You’ve led a charmed life. I’ve lost selected seats on a number of airlines. It happens with greater frequency when there are equipment (aircraft) changes, and unfortunately these are common on AA (and will be for a couple of years) as they justify the narrowbody aircrafts’ seating under Project Oasis.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver
Really? You’ve led a charmed life. I’ve lost selected seats on a number of airlines. It happens with greater frequency when there are equipment (aircraft) changes, and unfortunately these are common on AA (and will be for a couple of years) as they justify the narrowbody aircrafts’ seating under Project Oasis.
Couldn’t agree more. In four decades of flying Delta, PanAm,TWA, Northwest, Continental, US Air, United, AA and many others, I’ve been reaccomodated in non-selected seats quite regularly spread among all of these airlines. AA is no worse or no better IME.
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by AA100k

Couldn’t agree more. In four decades of flying Delta, PanAm,TWA, Northwest, Continental, US Air, United, AA and many others, I’ve been reaccomodated in non-selected seats quite regularly spread among all of these airlines. AA is no worse or no better IME.
Some airlines are better than others. Moreover there are all kinds of reasons why they might move seats. AA tends to be pretty glitchy. On the other hand, once I was flying on Delta and the gate agent told me that she needed to move me to accommodate a person with a disability. Naturally I would have obliged anyway but she also offered me 10,000 skymiles. Small customer service gestures like that go a long way.
jcatman and Spiff like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Some airlines are better than others. Moreover there are all kinds of reasons why they might move seats. AA tends to be pretty glitchy. On the other hand, once I was flying on Delta and the gate agent told me that she needed to move me to accommodate a person with a disability. Naturally I would have obliged anyway but she also offered me 10,000 skymiles. Small customer service gestures like that go a long way.
Once on Delta, I not only lost my seat assignment, I was rebooked at the gate to a later flight, no explanation given. And I was on a paid ticket, not an award redemption, so YMMV. Delta is not the kind, caring airline all the frustrated AA loyalists seem to to believe they are at least in my experience.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AA100k

Once on Delta, I not only lost my seat assignment, I was rebooked at the gate to a later flight, no explanation given. And I was on a paid ticket, not an award redemption, so YMMV. Delta is not the kind, caring airline all the frustrated AA loyalists seem to to believe they are at least in my experience.
I am AA EXP (due to being in Miami) and a lowly Platinum at Delta... (though was Diamond a few years when I had different frequent routes) - anyhow - Delta's customer service is lightyears ahead of AA - I have several stories where I was really impressed - nevermind that you get skypesos for the smallest issues (I once got 12500 points because they only had tea spoons for the soup) - granted - I rather have 1 AA mile than 2 DL miles -but that's a different story.

But customer service between the two can not be compared
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
this is terrible. AA is a gAArbage airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.