Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ditching Aviator Card -- Best strategy for orphan miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

The Aviator Mastercard has been a backup card of mine for a few years, although I've been thinking about getting rid of it (or at least downgrading it) recently, and now the new terms make me pretty sure I want to do that -- most of my spend/flying is on other carriers, and while I've been able to eke out a few good redemptions I'd rather not be carrying the card much longer...

Here's my question: I have ~4600 AA miles in my account, and I'd rather not leave those totally stranded with no way to make something of them if I cancel or downgrade the card. Any suggestions for what I might do with them, or the easiest way to get that up to 12.5K for a cheap redemption? My new annual fee is supposed to post May 1, so it'd have to be by then, and my spend isn't huge.

Grateful for any wise words!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by hbouta
The Aviator Mastercard has been a backup card of mine for a few years, although I've been thinking about getting rid of it (or at least downgrading it) recently, and now the new terms make me pretty sure I want to do that -- most of my spend/flying is on other carriers, and while I've been able to eke out a few good redemptions I'd rather not be carrying the card much longer...

Here's my question: I have ~4600 AA miles in my account, and I'd rather not leave those totally stranded with no way to make something of them if I cancel or downgrade the card. Any suggestions for what I might do with them, or the easiest way to get that up to 12.5K for a cheap redemption? My new annual fee is supposed to post May 1, so it'd have to be by then, and my spend isn't huge.

Grateful for any wise words!
Why not sign up for a Citi/AA credit card: earn bonus miles after minimum spend, and pay no annual fee for the first year?

And AA has redemptions costing less than 12,500 miles on certain routes.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Why not sign up for a Citi/AA credit card: earn bonus miles after minimum spend, and pay no annual fee for the first year?

That's an interesting idea, but I'm more of a one- or two-card kind of person, and I already have two that I like to use more consistently -- so I'm looking to consolidate rather than add more cards. I know that's sacrilege to some around these parts, but...

Anything I can do to make the most of these miles, without getting myself further committed to this program?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
They have a relatively low value - circa $70 at 1.5 cpm. Not worth stressing about.
Can be kept alive by using a dining for miles program and eating at a participating one every 17 months or so. Donate 'em to a charity that's looking for miles. Get a magazine subscription with 'em.
The guv's approach seems best, but the relatively poorer options mentioned may be of interest.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Makes sense. One follow-up question: I'm currently enrolled in a promotion to spend $250 in March and April to get 1k bonus miles. I'm assuming that if I cancel the card even on May 1, I forfeit that? It wouldn't get me that much closer to an award level, so I'm okay parting with it, just checking...
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:41 pm

You have some time after the annual fee posts to cancel the card without paying it, and the bonus may have posted by then. My statement says you can cancel within 45 days of "advance notice on your billing statement prior to the assessment of the annual fee."
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
https://www.useaamiles.com/carhotel/

Use them for a discount on a rental car or hotel. The per mile value is not great at all but with your balance there really isn't meaningful value without committing future mileage earnings to AA .
jcatman likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: CK or bust

Originally Posted by bucketlist
They have a relatively low value - circa $70 at 1.5 cpm. Not worth stressing about.
Can be kept alive by using a dining for miles program and eating at a participating one every 17 months or so. Donate 'em to a charity that's looking for miles. Get a magazine subscription with 'em.
The guv's approach seems best, but the relatively poorer options mentioned may be of interest.
Having no skin in the referral game personally, as part of its efforts to retain customers and and fish for the value members, Citi introduced a no annual fee AA card ("American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp") and with just a pack of gum or a little activity, you can keep your miles live without the cost of annual fee (versus their other cards which have annual fees that kick in after the first year or in Barclay's case, right away).
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enpremiere
Having no skin in the referral game personally, as part of its efforts to retain customers and and fish for the value members, Citi introduced a no annual fee AA card ("American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp") and with just a pack of gum or a little activity, you can keep your miles live without the cost of annual fee (versus their other cards which have annual fees that kick in after the first year or in Barclay's case, right away).
I'd love to do this but the rep I talked with yesterday said there were no downgrade offers available for me -- so this would mean closing the card and opening another, right? I may just call back and see if I can get a different result a few weeks down the line...
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by hbouta
I'd love to do this but the rep I talked with yesterday said there were no downgrade offers available for me -- so this would mean closing the card and opening another, right? I may just call back and see if I can get a different result a few weeks down the line...
Why would you expect a Barclays rep to be able to offer you a downgrade to a Citi credit card?
enpremiere likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Why would you expect a Barclays rep to be able to offer you a downgrade to a Citi credit card?
Oops, wasn't reading closely enough!! Sorry, that makes more sense now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.