Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA EXP Seeks best A380 / J Maximizing AA EQM Earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA EXP Seeks best A380 / J Maximizing AA EQM Earning

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by ShortDog
This is wrong. Every partner airlines now gets you 2 EQMs per mile flown for business.
sorry this is not correct info. Cx only earns 1.5. Not every airline is 2 eqm

Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Having flown A380s, 787s, and 350s many times each - the A380 is by far the best aircraft out there - quieter, smoother, handles turbulence better, Go for the A380.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:42 pm

This is wrong. Every partner airlines now gets you 2 EQMs per mile flown for business.
Originally Posted by Nuhusky

sorry this is not correct info. Cx only earns 1.5. Not every airline is 2 eqm

All JV Partner earnings are now aligned with AA.
GTITAN, JDiver and E55 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by Djokison

All JV Partner earnings are now aligned with AA.
if the flight is codeshared. But what about just a oneworld flight? Aa website only says 1.5 for cx
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Nuhusky

if the flight is codeshared. But what about just a oneworld flight? Aa website only says 1.5 for cx
Yes, if codeshares. CX is not a joint venture partner. As noted, joint venture partners (AY, BA, IB, JL) have the same earnings as equivalent fare classes on AA; other oneworld flights earn less (0.5-1.5 EQMs per mile flown for discount coach to first/business). In all cases, it’s marketing carrier that matters; operating carrier only matters in that the operator must also be oneworld in most cases (notable exceptions being AA and QF marketed flights, for which the operator does matter).
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Antarius
I think the OP wants to earn EQM, not spend miles.

That said, I'm on the opposite end. I've successfully managed to go all over the world and avoid the a380. That thing is hideous to look at and offends by enthusiast nature deeply.
Whoops, missed that entirely.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I’ve taken the Ba A380 a number of times, booking discounted biz and spending $500-700 each way to do AUP to first on departure day. Certainly there are better A380 and better F products out there, but if you want EQM and a380 then this is a decent option.
JDiver and E55 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Read my post again, please. Recheck your data. Non-JBV partners earn a maximum of 1.5 EQM per flown mile in First or Business.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Thanks for all of the input. I've yet to find anything under $6500 round trip. Looks like QR is still least expensive bet. BA is very expensive.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Use miles to get to LAX and do LAX-LHR-DUB and DUB-HEL-LAX for $3100 - A380 LAX-LHR and A350 from HEL-LAX.
E55 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
I flew in a BA A380 a few years ago from LHR to SIN in upper deck coach. Most comfortable coach ride I've had on a long haul. Extra bonus that it had a compartment against the window for me to lean on and put my carry-on into without having to bug the aisle neighbor for access to overheads.

Completely understand the allure of this airplane. I'd fly in it again in a heartbeat... Even in steerage.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by josmul123
I flew in a BA A380 a few years ago from LHR to SIN in upper deck coach. Most comfortable coach ride I've had on a long haul. Extra bonus that it had a compartment against the window for me to lean on and put my carry-on into without having to bug the aisle neighbor for access to overheads.

Completely understand the allure of this airplane. I'd fly in it again in a heartbeat... Even in steerage.
Same kind of experience a few years ago on Qantas to SYD from LAX. Upper deck, bulkhead Y both directions. As a OWE they had blocked the adjacent seat on both flights. After takeoff, brought down my backpack for a footrest. Slept angled across with all the leg space I could need. Even the armrest could be moved up. Quiet ride, with incredible views. And the cabin crew spoiled me. Got my drinks from J, which was right ahead of me. Champagne, anyone?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
So, OP, bottom line, your goals are a bit in conflict. If earning takes precedence, the only answer is BA; none of the other 2 EQM/BIS partners fly the A380. But as described here and elsewhere, the BA J product isn't as nice as some of the other options. So if 1.5x EQM is good enough, maybe Qatar or Qantas is the right play.

Also, just curious, do you intend to use one ticket starting in MO all the way to your destination? I tend to find it hard to put those together (and find they're very expensive when I'm able); typically I'll book the ticket from ORD/DFW/LAX/JFK and then position there (usually with miles).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
The main reason I want to steer clear of BA is due to lack of (or hit and miss) WIFI, since with my position requires communication at all times. How is the FinnAir A350 product? I can position to wherever is the most economical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.