Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Cancels All Flights to Venezuela 15 Mar 2019

AA Cancels All Flights to Venezuela 15 Mar 2019

Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
American Airlines union advises pilots not fly to Venezuela

The Allied Pilots Association union that represents 15,000 American Airlines pilots is warning its members not to fly to Venezuela.

The statement comes amid the U.S. State Department reissuing its Level 4 Travel Advisory for Venezuela earlier this week.
Level 4 - I certainly wouldnt want to be there.

"In its Travel Advisory, the U.S. Department of State cites 'crime, civil unrest, poor health infrastructure, and arbitrary arrest and detention of U.S. citizens,' " according to the association's note, sent to USA TODAY by communications committee chairman Captain Dennis Tajer. "The Travel Advisory also notes that 'violent crime, such as homicide, armed robbery, kidnapping, and carjacking, is common,' and recommends that U.S. residents 'traveling in Venezuela should depart Venezuela
So is AA still flying there? Could be interesting.
"Until further notice, if you are scheduled, assigned, or reassigned a pairing into Venezuela, refuse the assignment by calling your Chief Pilot or IOC Duty Pilot ... ," the note said. "Inform them that you are refusing the assignment in accordance with the direction of the U.S. Department of State.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 15, 2019 at 7:55 pm Reason: Restore original post title after flights cancellation
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I see both of today’s flights to MIA we’re cancelled, thought tomorrow’s show as on-time.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Just read AA is halting all flights to/from Venezuela
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Well this frees up a couple of aircraft to cover MAX routes...
Uzzar likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by CPRich
I see both of todays flights to MIA were cancelled, thought tomorrows show as on-time.
No doubt they'll be delayed in 15 minute increments until the situation there is resolved!
stc, Unterwegs, CFM3RD and 21 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enpremiere
No doubt they'll be delayed in 15 minute increments until the situation there is resolved!
bahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahaha
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by CPRich
I see both of todays flights to MIA were cancelled, thought tomorrows show as on-time.
Good luck to whoever is stuck there.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by VXforever
Good luck to whoever is stuck there.
Good point, but if the pilots aren't going, no one else is.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Flying down and deadheading back would be one way to maintain flights without staff leaving the airport/overnighting.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Flying down and deadheading back would be one way to maintain flights without staff leaving the airport/overnighting.
crew hasnt been overnighting for a long time. The flight is a turn for both pilots and cabin crew (MIA-CCS is only 3 odd hours).

I find this odd. Figure they'd make it a volunteer route with hazard pay or something.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Antarius
crew hasnt been overnighting for a long time. The flight is a turn for both pilots and cabin crew (MIA-CCS is only 3 odd hours).

I find this odd. Figure they'd make it a volunteer route with hazard pay or something.
AA doesn't want to lose any aircraft down there either.

It probably wasn't a very profitable route anyway and likely less so with all of the disruption.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The US has pulled the last of its embassy personnel. While the US has not been able to do much in Venezuela for a bit, it is now not able to do anything. AA cannot protect its employees or its aircraft and my guess is that the market for travel to the country has dropped at the same rate as its economy as has the number of people able to pay in USD.

Bottom line, this route was not likely to make it even if the diplomatic situation remained acceptable.

On March 11, 2019, the U.S. Department of State announced the temporary suspension of operations of the U.S. Embassy in Caracas and the withdrawal of diplomatic personnel from Venezuela. The U.S. Embassy in Caracas is not providing any consular services. U.S. citizens residing or traveling in Venezuela should depart Venezuela. Commercial flights remain available.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It probably wasn't a very profitable route anyway and likely less so with all of the disruption.
It was an *extremely* profitable route, right up until the end, that's why they ran it so long in spite of everything that was going on and all the challenges involved.
wrp96, MDFFlyer, A321T and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
It was an *extremely* profitable route, right up until the end, that's why they ran it so long in spite of everything that was going on and all the challenges involved.
that was my feeling as well. Near 100% LF and prices over 1000 USD for a 3 hour flight. Heck didnt they add a third flight for a while and up gauge from a 738 to 752?

Does the union contract not allow for volunteer assignments with hazard pay? I've been to far more dangerous places than doing a turn in CCS; was a function of my willingness and the right incentives.

or maybe no one took it up?

Last edited by Antarius; Mar 16, 2019 at 1:50 pm
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was a surprise as I thought they stopped flying there a couple of years ago but I see that was Delta.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.