Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to squeeze value out of AA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism
Book CX F JFK-HKG, HKG-NRT in J, then NRT-JFK in F on JL. Compare CX and JL F food, seat, service, IFE.
I'm currently on a trip that is making the comparison (SFO-HND/NRT-BKK on JL, BKK-HKG-SFO on CX. F for TPAC, J within Asia). Booked with AS miles due to free stopovers, but that's not really relevant.

In business, JL wins and it's not close. Although, perhaps it's not fair to compare a 7hr flight on widebody with a 2 hr flight on narrowbody, but those new JL skysuites are amazing. CX felt cramped with basically no storage space. Great food, but not quite as good as JL. Not a bad experience by any stretch, but definitely not as good as JL.

My CX F flight is tonight, so I'll be able to compare the first class products tomorrow.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm currently on a trip that is making the comparison (SFO-HND/NRT-BKK on JL, BKK-HKG-SFO on CX. F for TPAC, J within Asia). Booked with AS miles due to free stopovers, but that's not really relevant.

In business, JL wins and it's not close. Although, perhaps it's not fair to compare a 7hr flight on widebody with a 2 hr flight on narrowbody, but those new JL skysuites are amazing. CX felt cramped with basically no storage space. Great food, but not quite as good as JL. Not a bad experience by any stretch, but definitely not as good as JL.

My CX F flight is tonight, so I'll be able to compare the first class products tomorrow.
exciting, look forward to hearing about it
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
In JL F they have a very beautiful and unique coffee mug (with JL F logo and a beautiful handle), which, little known secret, you can ask for one and they will give it to you.....

Here it is:
https://www.google.com/search?q=coff...8srBDTM:&vet=1
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
In JL F they have a very beautiful and unique coffee mug (with JL F logo and a beautiful handle), which, little known secret, you can ask for one and they will give it to you.....

Here it is:
https://www.google.com/search?q=coff...8srBDTM:&vet=1
NOW you tell me (2 weeks after my flight)

Next time I'm getting a souvenir...
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by nk15
If we're talking about unique things, I mentioned a few posts back that JL serves Japanese beef in F outbound from Japan. Both directions they serve Royal Blue iced tea, which is known as the Queen of Tea. JL serves the oolong variety. It is little-known, and well worth asking for if you enjoy tea.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If we're talking about unique things, I mentioned a few posts back that JL serves Japanese beef in F outbound from Japan. Both directions they serve Royal Blue iced tea, which is known as the Queen of Tea. JL serves the oolong variety. It is little-known, and well worth asking for if you enjoy tea.
Yes! I just mentioned that on the JL thread in the AS forum. That tea is great.

Also, if you happen to be in Roppongi while in Tokyo, they have a storefront right across the street from Roppongi Hills.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I don't typically drink tea but Royal Blue is very good. Apparently something like $50 a bottle.

Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
I don't typically drink tea but Royal Blue is very good. Apparently something like $50 a bottle.

And that's the cheapest version per their website! Price goes up as up as you go from left to right on the marked scale indicated on the bottle..
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
And that's the cheapest version per their website! Price goes up as up as you go from left to right on the marked scale indicated on the bottle..
i assume this is to be consumed cold?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by VXforever
Also, AA's and Doug Parker's behavior is disgusting. They run a garbage airline.
That in just a few words is why I have peacefully moved on...I still have to fly them from time to time, but try to avoid them whenever possible - which is usually.

The AA of today drove me (happily) back to UA, I never thought that would have been possible just 18 months ago - but they still managed to do it
cmd320 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

JL F is the best.
Although I've heard the cabins are way too hot to be comfortable. Otherwise, I'd be flying FL F soon rather than a sub-par AA J product.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by VXforever
i assume this is to be consumed cold?
Yes. If you enjoy hot tea, JL has excellent Japanese green tea.

Originally Posted by ikwia
Although I've heard the cabins are way too hot to be comfortable. Otherwise, I'd be flying FL F soon rather than a sub-par AA J product.
Yes, JL tends to keep their cabins overheated. If you are in F, often the FAs will lower the temperature on request. I bring shorts, flip-flops, and a tank-top and change into that.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Yes, JL tends to keep their cabins overheated. If you are in F, often the FAs will lower the temperature on request. I bring shorts, flip-flops, and a tank-top and change into that.
Noted, and I appreciate that feedback. I'd still prob be warmer than I'd prefer, and I'll concede I'm a little scared to find out on a 12 hour flight.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by ikwia
Noted, and I appreciate that feedback. I'd still prob be warmer than I'd prefer, and I'll concede I'm a little scared to find out on a 12 hour flight.
I can't remember if JL 777s have individual air nozzles. If so, opening them helps a lot (since the nozzle blows cold air). If not, a USB travel fan will help to some extent (a small fan that can be propped or clipped to point at you, and plugs into a USB power outlet for power).
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:35 pm

I can't remember if JL 777s have individual air nozzles. If so, opening them helps a lot (since the nozzle blows cold air). If not, a USB travel fan will help to some extent (a small fan that can be propped or clipped to point at you, and plugs into a USB power outlet for power).
No they don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.