Wiki Posts
Search

How to squeeze value out of AA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Personally, the fact that MLE luxury hotels on various atolls essentially mean you are a captive audience paying captive audience prices for F&B, even if you get the room for free (and there's the last mile getting to the hotel that's usually a seaplane ride of some hundreds of dollars) tends to make me more interested in Sri Lanka or India.
I'm guessing that you've never been to Maldives.
So you don't like Maldives because it is expensive. Some people here like Maldives for the exact same reason... because it is expensive.
And yes, Sri Lanka and India are just like Maldives. LOL.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 19, 2019 at 2:32 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by econometrics
100K AAdvantage miles is far from a "pile" any more. Maybe 8 years ago it was.

I agree with @bitterproffit, buy some miles and find a milesaaver RT J ticket to Europe. ...if you can find one.
While I'm sure there tons of million mile plus members out there, I don't know many people who maintain million mile balances.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I sort of doubt maximizing the value of the miles will affect one's career down the road. The example of bribery isn't really relevant.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Personally, the fact that MLE luxury hotels on various atolls essentially mean you are a captive audience paying captive audience prices for F&B, even if you get the room for free (and there's the last mile getting to the hotel that's usually a seaplane ride of some hundreds of dollars)
The $500/person seaplane ride has been the reason I haven't visited MLE. I hadn't considered the AirBnB option.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:45 pm

seems like you are a valued customer. Report something missing that cost a lot. force them to pay it. keep your points
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jtao9
seems like you are a valued customer. Report something missing that cost a lot. force them to pay it. keep your points
*THIS* is the response the OP deserved.
VXforever likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Could you give an example or two of what sort of thing you're referring to? I apologize, I'm having trouble imagining what it could be.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SFO777
I'm guessing that you've never been to Maldives
Correct. India and Sri Lanka are happening late this year/early next. Maldives is, uh, question marks. Though I admit that I could see it happening if it's a case of actually being in the place instead of in an isolated resort atoll that is in effect a hermetically sealed (if perfectly lovely) five star resort, isolated from the rest of the country. I get that those overwater bungalows are super nice though.

I won't pretend I wear a hairshirt and flog myself when I travel, but budget and what I think are good tradeoffs for price/experience/my comfort come to mind. I was very happy in a $20/day backpacker shack bordering the Gulf of Thailand (beach visible, surf sounds at night) a couple of years ago, no A/C in the shack, Bob Marley on the speakers when I went to get food (clearly an outpost on the Banana Pancake Trail). Other people would blanch at that and call me a dirty hippie (and "other people" probably means "you"). Ŕ chacun son goűt.

So you don't like Maldives because it is expensive. Some people here like Maldives for the exact same reason... because it is expensive.
To be sure. Conspicuous consumption is definitely a thing.

And yes, Sri Lanka and India are just like Maldives.
That isn't actually what I said, though. More like they offer things to me I find appealing that I wouldn't be able to get on a Maldivian resort atoll. I tend to get bad cases of the Lewis and Clarks, for one thing.

Originally Posted by anabolism
The $500/person seaplane ride has been the reason I haven't visited MLE. I hadn't considered the AirBnB option.
Yeah, I can see actually doing that because a base of operations to explore (that isn't sticking you on an atoll somewhere) isn't out of reach, it seems.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I love it. I'm all for this OP. AA cuts every corner to squeeze the life out of the passenger experience, trying to get the maximum value possible out of them in return should be the expectation.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
As long as we're being nostalgic, the best mileage deal I enjoyed was in Avianca's LifeMiles infancy when YYZ-DEN and DEN-BOS were both available via FRA in Lufthansa First for the 35,000 miles and $5.60, the normal domestic three class First price.
When was this?

This would also go to show that, contrary to some posters' assertions, not every offering within a FFP has been vetted for financial soundness.

Now THIS is a good idea. Could probably get a few thousand that way.

Originally Posted by axck
I love it. I'm all for this OP. AA cuts every corner to squeeze the life out of the passenger experience, trying to get the maximum value possible out of them in return should be the expectation.
Thanks - glad at least some people share my perspective.

Last edited by JY1024; Mar 22, 2019 at 11:11 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VXforever
Now THIS is a good idea. Could probably get a few thousand that way.
Criminal fraud is, perhaps, not such a good idea.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by VXforever
When was this?

This would also go to show that, contrary to some posters' assertions, not every offering within a FFP has been vetted for financial soundness.
This was years ago when Avianca was new at frequent flyer programs involving Star Alliance partners. They’ve figured it out better now.

American Airlines actually invented frequent flyer programs. They probably know a few things.

But hey, you go on with your bad revenge-seeking self and your ONE MILLION MILES, Dr. Evil. Or wait, is that MBA Evil? Did you go to Evil Business School?
CFM3RD likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Given that the OP's primary beef with AA is a failure to serve pre-departure beverages, perhaps the OP should exact revenge by using their miles to fly down to DFW to find Doug Parker at a bar and procure him a copious amount of drinks. Another DUI could have a material impact on AA's stock price. Then again, doing so would probably be vastly helpful to AA and everyone on this forum in the long run. Perhaps the board of directors could install someone competent into the role.
SFO777 and cmd320 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I am all about the F redemptions with long layovers and killing the expensive bubbly. That is a great idea. It is interesting to me that people have a million or more miles in their account and they can't find a way to use them. I wiped out both our accounts to get to AKL and NAN and back for a month, totally worth it (both EXP). Still on the trip. Use em or lose em. If somebody in a FF program does not use their miles in a clever fashion they did something wrong, not the airline. No whining. We all have choices. Optimizing flying travel is a moving target and the individual needs to pay attention. Thats why I read FT.
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
UPDATE: I arranged an Ethiad Apartment run, along with some positioning flights. Still have over 600k to burn.

i really like the idea of going to Dougie’s bar and seeing if he can get another DUI.
enviroian, LAX-1K, SFO777 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.