Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to squeeze value out of AA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bse118
Hint: AA is a company - it's supposed to try to maximize revenue. @:-)
(It's not a person)
--------------
Well, not to be disagreeable the least bit, but I believe most companies are focused on maximizing profits, not revenue for the sake of revenue.
VXforever likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Well, not to be disagreeable the least bit, but I believe most companies are focused on maximizing profits, not revenue for the sake of revenue.
Well to be fair - a company the size of AA wants both.

(A lemonade stand could be very profitable as a percentage, but that doesn't mean much alone.

Simplistic example since this thread is already off in the land of the absurd)
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

(A lemonade stand could be very profitable as a percentage, but that doesn't mean much alone.

Very true, but profits is a net gain over costs (all accounting crazy rules aside). Airlines have high fixed costs, and truly variable variable costs (i.e. fuel prices), so it is tricky. But yes, one needs a lot of revenue just to cover the fixed costs, then an extra effort to squeeze out some profit..

Back on topic. To OP- As many have mentioned before, I'd be focusing on getting the best value for your miles redemptions, regardless of the impact to AA. I believe that looking at it as a positive opportunity ultimately is a more rewarding experience (pun totally intended).

Last edited by teemuflyer; Mar 17, 2019 at 2:55 pm
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold

Is that available as a PDB?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Well if you want to "scam" American Airlines (and I have no idea why, what did AA "personally" do to you?) you could sell them to a broker. That is of course against the rules. Your account could be locked. I'm not saying to do this and would advise against it. But if you feel some kind of "revenge" I guess this would be one way. Again, what any airline could do to ruin your life is beyond me.
Wah wah wah.

i literally could not care less if AA "locked" my account or banned me. I dont want to continue that relationship.

They wont sue me unlike that dude who scammed NW by complaining. Even if they did, i'd make myself unserveable.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by VXforever
yes, it’s like 975,000
I have a friend who has AA miles like this. He has flown the family here, there, and everywhere. One of his daughters works as a Disney princess and was stationed at an overseas Disneyland, for example, so he flew family out to visit. On another occasion he met a total stranger who was in the middle of a life crisis and needed to get somewhere, so he got the guy a ticket using miles.

From one perspective, miles are a form of an alternative currency, and you should enjoy them. The highest value (in terms of cents/mile) is obtained from first- and business-class redemptions, so take a holiday, for cryin' out loud. If you really want to maximize the cost to AA, pop for a few months of Expert Flyer and set it up to send you an email alert when first- or business-class seats become available on a route you're interested in. But I agree with others, Asian carriers can offer better service.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
and why would you do that, Mr. Shady?
It was this clip, sometimes I overthink things...

Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Don’t beat yourself up over optimizing every last mile.
OP isn't trying to optimize every last mile. OP is trying to hurt AA.

Originally Posted by IggySD
... have us pay more than necessary ....
Would you be so kind as to define "more than necessary"? How much is "necessary"?

Originally Posted by nk15
I deleted my own post, nothing suspicious...
and why would you do that, Mr. Shady?
Perhaps nk15 made a mistake? Perhaps you're not aware that people cannot delete posts. How did you get to a point in life where you are so suspicious?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:21 pm

I have a pile of points with AA - like 1,000k. I hate the direction theyve been going and really want to squeeze the value out of them - to the point of even scamming them. Any suggestions? I want American to take a loss.
i was thinking more like outsized redemptions.
Yeah, you should choose the award the geniuses of AAdvantage created that is so "outsized" they stay up late at AA praying nobody cashes in miles for it. There are a few awards AA just sweats in fear over anyone ever choosing in real life or they are are so screwed taking that loss.
Go for it, OP, THAT'LL TEACH 'EM not to mess with ya
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you are confusing profit (an absolute number) with margin (a percentage)
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Nope.

Profit and profit margin. Two different expressions based on the same data.

That lemonade stand could be profitable but without revenue to profit off its irrelevant as a public company.

A company the size of AA needs/seeks both revenue and profit.

<and that's enough on this aside>
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
need guacaomole

Is there any way to convert AA points into Guacamole? Have a family event coming up and need lots of guac.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any way to convert AA points into Guacamole? Have a family event coming up and need lots of guac.
It's pretty much the exact opposite of sticking it to AA, but you could convert your miles to grocery store or Amazon gift cards on points. com. I think you'll get about a quarter cent per mile?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Show is over, we failed to stick it to AA this time, we are still stuck with 975k miles and some mediocre ideas and not even any guac.... Thanks for coming everybody, better luck next time, and y'all come back now, you hear?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Use your miles for a dozen admirals club memberships and join the hipsters for avocado toast in the morning (which I haven't seen the last two times I've been in the AC in the morning)....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.