Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to squeeze value out of AA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Remember:

Originally Posted by VXforever
I want American to take a loss.
...at least insofar as its possible.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I hate AA so much but I want to fly them again.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I hate AA so much but I want to fly them again.
only if unprofitably so
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:52 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Holding 1MM is a blessing, not a curse. Don’t beat yourself up over optimizing every last mile. Just burn them, You do sort of have to manage your expectations under the current rules/regime.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Are there any earn-miles-on-an-award-flight schemes around, where i can change a flight (via SDC or IROPS) and get it rebooked into a revenue class? And then earn? And basically fly free?
Sure. Just book an AA F award DFW-HKG or DFW-SYD, then arrange for the flight to get cancelled, and get rebooked into revenue F on CX or QF. Easy-peasy.
SFO777 and jinglish like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Miles for Magazines. With a mileage stash like the OP's transformed into a veritable wealth of information printed and shipped to your door, you are all be guaranteed to be the most informed, utterly overbearing, and avoided guest at any social event.
DataPlumber likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: AA PPR
VXforever,

Seems like you are just a generally angry person. All this energy you are putting into this "project" could probably be spent much more productively. (If not I feel very sorry for you). Remember you are going up against a major corporation. Realistically no mater how you redeem your miles it will have virtually no effect on AA's bottom line.
jinglish and VXforever like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IggySD
I find it interesting how when AA wants to soak every penny out of the customer and have us pay more than necessary to maximize revenue it’s just a simple business practice however should a customer want to turn about and do the same it’s seen as a huge character flaw.
Hint: AA is a company - it's supposed to try to maximize revenue. @:-)
(It's not a person)
--------------

From OP's latest posts in this thread - it's hard to take this one seriously, seems OP is just here to rile us up. But one last good faith effort:

OP- you have enough miles to go essentially anywhere you want, in J or F, and pay for the hotel too. Instead of focus on a quixotic battle to "harm" AA - how about focusing on the possibility of putting together an utterly fantastic trip, and the (non-monetary) "value" you might get out of that.
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bse118
OP- you have enough miles to go essentially anywhere you want, in J or F, and pay for the hotel too. Instead of focus on a quixotic battle to "harm" AA - how about focusing on the possibility of putting together an utterly fantastic trip, and the (non-monetary) "value" you might get out of that.

I know I do. I'm looking for the one(s) that hurt AAL's bottom line the most...
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IggySD

I find it interesting how when AA wants to soak every penny out of the customer and have us pay more than necessary to maximize revenue it’s just a simple business practice however should a customer want to turn about and do the same it’s seen as a huge character flaw.
So, what would you consider to be “necessary” rather than “more than necessary?” And if you take issue with an airline (or any other business) maximizing revenue, what would you consider to be reasonable revenue?

There’s a big difference between “get the most value for my miles” and “get the most value for my miles so that I hurt AA.” AA admittedly tries to maximize revenue, not unlike most large businesses. But I don’t think they are doing so to deliberately try to hurt people. At least not any more than any other large airline.

Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:11 am

how about this:
- book a flight in J or F that gets you flagship lounge access
- drink the most expensive alcohol they have, and a lot of it
- get rowdy on the plane as a result, and force a diversion to be offloaded

that will ding their revenue. You might get arrested but it will meet your objective.

on a more realistic note, while I reject the premise of the question I am simultaneously intrigued by the challenge. So as anabolism suggested, I would book J or F on routes to places like HKG that a) seem to experience a significant number of cancellations or serious delays, and b) have limited rebooking options on AA so you are more likely to be rebooked on a partner airline.

VXforever likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Hence "quixotic"

You have an overly simplistic view of how accounting at an airline the size of AA works...
writerguyfl and jinglish like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I agree, just focus on booking the most fun trips for you, long haul J with multiple segments would be the best, I wouldn't even waste them in F. Take a friend or two with you. You could even be looking for last minute redemptions and take quick trips abroad on CX/JL. Book only saver awards or you will be wasting the miles.

Btw, the AA and other airline restrictions not to be able to sell miles or upgrade instruments are ethical garbage. They are scamming us from the miles we have earned, hoping that our miles and SWUs will go unused and that they will basically take these rewards back. These are devious tactics, they sell you the promise and the dream of cool rewards and free fun trips, but secretly work towards and hope you won't be able to use them and they will take that value back....They count on many people not using their miles and SWUs every year. They are rewards with many restrictions and obstacles as to become close to useless...They only want you to use them on inventory that will go unsold anyway, or, even better, find a way to take them back (through devaluation, expiration, death, forfeiture, etc.).
VXforever likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by nk15
Btw, the AA and other airline restrictions not to be able to sell miles or upgrade instruments are ethical garbage. They are scamming us from the miles we have earned, hoping that our miles and SWUs will go unused and that they will basically take these rewards back. These are devious tactics, they sell you the promise and the dream of cool rewards and free fun trips, but secretly work towards and hope you won't be able to use them and they will take that value back....They count on many people not using their miles and SWUs every year. They are rewards with many restrictions and obstacles as to become close to useless...They only want you to use them on inventory that will go unsold anyway, or, even better, find a way to take them back (through devaluation, expiration, death, forfeiture, etc.).
While I don’t disagree with much of this, you always have the option to not play the game. While the airlines are not explicitly telling you about these restrictions, it’s not that hard for a savvy consumer to learn about it. And it’s not like the airlines are the only industry giving away perks with restrictions, or with the hope that some will expire or otherwise go unused, or are otherwise hoping that consumers won’t be savvy enough to research their product.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Saver redemptions are seats that AA Revenue Management (or partner revenue management) don't expect to sell. So you wouldn't be hurting the bottom line the most because they expect very little revenue anyway.

I guess you could redeem for Flagship F on SFO-JFK at AAnytime. That might hurt their bottom line in that they can't sell that seat last minute, and it's last seat availability.

I share the general sense that this is a petty and not very sensible quest of yours ("OMG, SOMEONE REDUCED OUR REVENUE BY REDEEMING 1 MILLION MILES, OMG FIRE DOUG PARKER"), and you should worry more about getting the most value to YOU for the miles in terms of something you would enjoy, rather than thinking that you are anything more than a flea trying to beat up an elephant, but you do you I guess.
jinglish and VXforever like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.