Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to squeeze value out of AA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VXforever
I have a pile of points with AA - like 1,000k. I hate the direction theyve been going and really want to squeeze the value out of them - to the point of even scamming (not literally) them. Any suggestions? I want American to take a loss.
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Well if you want to "scam" American Airlines (and I have no idea why, what did AA "personally" do to you?) you could sell them to a broker. That is of course against the rules. Your account could be locked. I'm not saying to do this and would advise against it. But if you feel some kind of "revenge" I guess this would be one way. Again, what any airline could do to ruin your life is beyond me.
Account audit / blocked / fraud: award / miles / SWU / sale, barter, etc.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...an-flying.html

AA will not know who you are or care if you use them (in accordance with the ffp t&c's) or you let them expire

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Burn em all on JL F - great redemption rates and probably easier to find availability compared to Cathay since all of CX F is filled with those who bought error fare tickets
I was wondering why I was having trouble getting an award on CX-F from SGN-ORD. Bad timing for me.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Burn em all on JL F - great redemption rates and probably easier to find availability compared to Cathay since all of CX F is filled with those who bought error fare tickets
I was wondering why I was having trouble getting an award on CX-F from SGN-ORD. Bad timing for me.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:57 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhh what I would give. If only AA weren't so actively strict with auditing selling/buying behavior - I'd be PMing you in a heartbeat given the issues I've been having booking a ticket using CX AM that is readily available and bookable through AA
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:43 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
If PDB is really the straw the broke the camel's back, then AA probably wasn't right for you. I'd say any partner F redemption (besides BA) would cause the most "cost" to them, but they are willing to take it, so I can't imagine they'll be that "scammed." With that amount of miles (and you'd have to get more for any redemption anyway), you're only talking a one way award as it is.
When did they change their award structure so that a million miles only gets you a one way award?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:46 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
And, BTW, I'm pretty fed up with AA. For the last year, not a single upgrade, and it is extremely difficult to find any miles redemptions. I have pretty much switched to Southwest for domestic because of the two-for-one I can get with the Companion Pass. But I'm not sure where I will go for international flights yet.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Leave it to FlyerTalk for everyone to dissect everything an op says. Clearly he didn't mean he wanted to commit fraud but rather find a redemption or use of miles that would get the most value from AA.
No, OP was pretty clear that s/he wants to hurt AA.
I want American to take a loss.
S/he obviously doesn't understand that any mileage redemption has already been planned and budgeted for by AA and doesn't hurt it at all.

I find it troubling that OP gets satisfaction by hurting others, corporate or otherwise.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:45 pm

VXforever, I wonder how old you are. One of the advantages of making it to 60 is I've learned a thing or two. In your situation I'd remind you: anger corrodes the container.

Let it go. Sure service has declined, but fares have declined as well. Are some of the FAs on AA bitter? You bet cha. Find an industry that doesn't have folks like that.

You've flown a bunch, and you even set your location to 1A - so I ask you what will the marginal utility be for you for another first class flight. I have to use that word so people know I went to college. Ha. Seriously, what does one more first class flight do to make your life better?

There are a lot of people out there who a coach flight is the answer they're looking for. A couple of years ago a staff member at our church was in a lurch. I happened to see she was upset. I found out why, made a quick call to AA and we had tickets for her in about an hour.

So who do you know, or what organization do you know that your miles will help make other people's life a lot better?
Maybe a missionary needs to get home.
The Dog rescue idea.
Make a Wish tends to need airline tickets from time to time.

What's your passion? There is probably an organization to help with that. Check out PaperForWater.org to see another good cause.

You're a smart guy. I bet you can come up with 2 or 3 ways to help someone who needs to be somewhere.

Be a bright light and not a dimwit.

Good luck.
enpremiere and VXforever like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by CFM3RD
VXforever, I wonder how old you are. One of the advantages of making it to 60 is I've learned a thing or two. In your situation I'd remind you: anger corrodes the container.

Let it go. Sure service has declined, but fares have declined as well. Are some of the FAs on AA bitter? You bet cha. Find an industry that doesn't have folks like that.

You've flown a bunch, and you even set your location to 1A - so I ask you what will the marginal utility be for you for another first class flight. I have to use that word so people know I went to college. Ha. Seriously, what does one more first class flight do to make your life better?

There are a lot of people out there who a coach flight is the answer they're looking for. A couple of years ago a staff member at our church was in a lurch. I happened to see she was upset. I found out why, made a quick call to AA and we had tickets for her in about an hour.

So who do you know, or what organization do you know that your miles will help make other people's life a lot better?
Maybe a missionary needs to get home.
The Dog rescue idea.
Make a Wish tends to need airline tickets from time to time.

What's your passion? There is probably an organization to help with that. Check out PaperForWater.org to see another good cause.

You're a smart guy. I bet you can come up with 2 or 3 ways to help someone who needs to be somewhere.

Be a bright light and not a dimwit.

Good luck.

Thanks, this puts stuff into perspective. I'm around 35, btw.

Originally Posted by CFM3RD
...so I ask you what will the marginal utility be for you for another first class flight. I have to use that word so people know I went to college. Ha. Seriously, what does one more first class flight do to make your life better?
LOL
CFM3RD likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
This thread is bizarre. 975k miles? IMO, it never makes sense to stockpile that many, you are guaranteed to see devaluation.

OP: the best way to get value for your miles is to actually use them.

As for the rest: I've said it before and I will say it again: I will never understand why people get emotionally invested in FFPs.
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by bse118
I've said it before and I will say it again: I will never understand why people get emotionally invested in FFPs.
I will never understand why people get emotionally invested in PDB neither.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
The best way to satisfy your desire to milk them is burn all of them on PARTNER airlines not AA metal.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Are there any earn-miles-on-an-award-flight schemes around, where i can change a flight (via SDC or IROPS) and get it rebooked into a revenue class? And then earn? And basically fly free?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Are there any earn-miles-on-an-award-flight schemes around, where i can change a flight (via SDC or IROPS) and get it rebooked into a revenue class? And then earn? And basically fly free?
So you dislike AA so much you want to continue to earn and re-burn?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
So you dislike AA so much you want to continue to earn and re-burn?
if it dings their FFP, yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.