How to squeeze value out of AA

Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by PHL
You probably should have used a different word then, because the very definition of the word is fraud. I'm also pretty sure AA doesn't take a loss when you redeem points, even on a partner. You earned those points through paying them plenty more for flights, with small crumbs from each ticket going into the pool that pays for flight redemptions. Use them up and move on. They won't miss you and more than you'll miss them.

alot of them were earned before the Great Devauluation and move to dollar-based earning

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Scamming in my book would equal fraud. OP since you hate AA so bad why don't you take the above suggestion and donate the miles to charity. Since if you redeemed them for a J/F award you'd probably wouldn't get a PDB.
I sure as hell WOULD get a PDB if i redeemed on a partner, ya brick.

Originally Posted by Lehava
Do good in the world with them. Donate to a charity that can use them. I know a dog rescue that is always needing to buy airline tickets to accompany a disabled puppy to it's new life

Can you please PM me the details? This would be appealing.

Last edited by JY1024; Mar 22, 2019 at 10:47 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by fotographer
OP, just get on AA website.. search awards flights to somewhere far, and go... with 100K in your account, if you want a round trip... it might be probably in coach..
Many of the best awards dont show up online. No JAL, CX, etc. Just make sure they dont charge you the phone booking fee.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:20 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by VXforever
alot of them were earned before the Great Devauluation and move to dollar-based earning
It doesn't really matter how or when you earned the points. Credit cards, tansfers, 1-800-FLOWERS purchases, or flights flown 10 years ago. The point devaluation works in their favor even more. Your redepmtion - whatever it may be - isn't going to register on anyone's radar and they surely won't feel any loss from you spending points, nor will they feel the loss of you not flying them any more. Dump em and say good bye.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Many of the best awards dont show up online. No JAL, CX, etc. Just make sure they dont charge you the phone booking fee.
Thanks for the tip.
Was having a hard time hunting down some of the suggestions mentioned above.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
100K AAdvantage miles is far from a "pile" any more. Maybe 8 years ago it was.
How about a million miles? That's what the OP says he has ("1,000k").
CFM3RD and VXforever like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
yes, its like 975,000
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
The OP's OP said 100K.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:59 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Leave it to FlyerTalk for everyone to dissect everything an op says. Clearly he didn't mean he wanted to commit fraud but rather find a redemption or use of miles that would get the most value from AA. Jeez everyone lighten up a little bit. Now I will say if you think a PDB is so necessary you would quit an airline then I feel sorry for you and hope everyone can meet your ridiculous expectations.
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I have a pile of points with AA - like 1,000k. I hate the direction theyve been going and really want to squeeze the value out of them - to the point of even scamming (not literally) them. Any suggestions? I want American to take a loss.
EY Apartments are definitely a good value. Especially between Australia and AUH. I like the idea of the other poster uptread to combine it with a domestic premium transcon. Another great option are QR F awards on their A380s. They dont fly to the US but do fly between Europe and DOH and Australia and DOH.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
For almost a million miles, its definitely worth it to keep them active. At worst, donate the 500 or 1000 miles minimum to add another 18 months to the expiration date.

I could have a lot of fun with 1 million miles.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Thanks for the tip.
Was having a hard time hunting down some of the suggestions mentioned above.
The dog rescue option sounds like the way to go, but if you want to find award space on a parter, use the BA or QF web sites. Just create an account on them, then search flight by flight for QF F, CX F, JL F, or QR J in a Qsuite flight. or, for EY F, use the EY web site or ExpertFlyer. You can set EF alerts for F awards on QF and EY.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackvogt
Now I will say if you think a PDB is so necessary you would quit an airline then I feel sorry for you and hope everyone can meet your ridiculous expectations.
It's ridiculous to expect an airline to follow their own policies and give you what you paid for?

Many people on this board have been trained to have REALLY low expectations. Imagine if you went to a fancy restaurant, were seated 2 hours after your reservation time, they didn't bring you the amuse-bouche because the waitress was too busy talking to the other waitresses, and when you asked about it the waitress threatened to have you kicked out of the restaurant and arrested. Would you go back to that restaurant?

This would not fly in ANY other business.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
I sure as hell WOULD get a PDB if i redeemed on a partner, ya brick.
Just make sure not to ask for an Irish-Coffee, as that might get you thrown out of the plane
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:54 am

yes, its like 975,000
Well, since you are so disgusted with AA, you can stick it to them by buying F award redemptions on partner airlines in my name. You use the miles and dont even fly! Im shamelessly willing to be a pawn in your game of revenge.

Thatll show em!!
CFM3RD, dcmike and trooper like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:01 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
PM Sent

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.