Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to squeeze value out of AA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VXforever
Do you really think its worth keeping the points alive? Serious question.
Keep the points from expiring if you decide you want to use them later.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Do you really think its worth keeping the points alive? Serious question.
If you have some future trip, sure.

AA miles are pretty decent for US-Asia. I just booked two Asia-US tickets in coach for family members yesterday. 75k miles for two one way tickets that would cost $1700. (Plus 10% miles back, because I have the credit card, if I don’t change the ticket before that benefit goes away) Also booking on JAL, which is almost as good as many other airlines PE seats.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
This is what this thread made me think of when I heard about the PDB drinks:
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by donotblink
This is what this thread made me think of when I heard about the PDB drinks: https://youtu.be/xR0xGN826zU

THEY TOOK MY PDBs!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: Free agent
Best redemption value is JAL J/F longhaul flights. Loyalty isn't worth anything anymore, buy the best fit and enjoy the travel.
boerne likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by JonNYC
We all did.
If, arguendo, I did intend to commit fraud, i sure as hell wouldnt be posting publicly about it.
LINDEGR and rickg523 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
If you're looking for value, and you could position out of Europe, something like ARN-DOH-SYD-AKL-PPT for 85k in J with QR, QF and TN is pretty unbeatable in my book. Nearly 30 hours of J flying! Or, as I've just done, redeem from Asia to South Pacific in J using CX / JL / QF etc for 40k. Again, a cracking deal.
VegasGambler and VXforever like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kingstontoon
If you're looking for value, and you could position out of Europe, something like ARN-DOH-SYD-AKL-PPT for 85k in J with QR, QF and TN is pretty unbeatable in my book. Nearly 30 hours of J flying! Or, as I've just done, redeem from Asia to South Pacific in J using CX / JL / QF etc for 40k. Again, a cracking deal.
That's quite a deal!!!!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
100K AAdvantage miles is far from a "pile" any more. Maybe 8 years ago it was.

I agree with @bitterproffit, buy some miles and find a milesaaver RT J ticket to Europe. ...if you can find one.
jcatman and chitink like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Etihad apartments.

(And start from the West coast so you can fly transcon in the 3-class F, or at least J)
GTITAN, cmd320 and VXforever like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JonNYC
We all did.
scam
/skam/
noun
INFORMAL
  1. 1.
    a dishonest scheme; a fraud.
    "an insurance scam"synonyms:fraud, swindle, fraudulent scheme, racket, trick, diddle;
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:50 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
If, arguendo, I did intend to commit fraud, i sure as hell wouldnt be posting publicly about it.
You probably should have used a different word then, because the very definition of the word is fraud. I'm also pretty sure AA doesn't take a loss when you redeem points, even on a partner. You earned those points through paying them plenty more for flights, with small crumbs from each ticket going into the pool that pays for flight redemptions. Use them up and move on. They won't miss you and more than you'll miss them.
JonNYC, Antarius and jinglish like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
OP, just get on AA website.. search awards flights to somewhere far, and go... with 100K in your account, if you want a round trip... it might be probably in coach..
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:51 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Do good in the world with them. Donate to a charity that can use them. I know a dog rescue that is always needing to buy airline tickets to accompany a disabled puppy to it's new life
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Scamming in my book would equal fraud. OP since you hate AA so bad why don't you take the above suggestion and donate the miles to charity. Since if you redeemed them for a J/F award you'd probably wouldn't get a PDB.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.