Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is STRICTLY dedicated to discussing alternative arrangements and policy resulting from the FAA emergency order grounding all USA carriers’ Boeing 737 MAX 8 (and MAX 9) aircraft. This has grounded all 24 7M8 / 737 MAX 8 aircraft American Airlines has in service.

To discuss the 737 MAX 8s withdrawal from service and related issues apart from reaccommodation related issues, please post in Recent 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccomodation).

To discuss the probable and limited return of the Boeing MAX to service with AA at the end of 2020 and increasingly in 2021, please see
American Planning 737 MAX Service Restoration (Limited Dec and 2021)

An Update on the Boeing 737 MAX (AA, Friday, February 14, 2020, 3:30 PM)

“Based on the latest guidance, the airline anticipates that the resumption of scheduled commercial service on American’s fleet of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft will occur Aug. 18, 2020.”14 Feb 2020 — link

AA has had a policy in place, as shared below by JonNYC in post # 15.

American continues to await information from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of Transportation (DOT), National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), other regulatory authorities and Boeing that would permit the 24 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft in our fleet to resume flying.

In an effort to provide more certainty and avoid last minute flight disruptions, American has extended cancellations through August 14, 2020. Previous dates have been:

04 June 2020, 07 April 2020, 06 March 2020, 16 Jan 2020, December 3, 2019; November 2, September 3, August 19, June 5.) This resulted in the cancellation of approximately 115 flights each day based on our April schedule. By proactively canceling these flights, we are able to provide better service to our customers with availability and rebooking options. - aa.com link to PDF
Essentially, if you’re scheduled to fly on a 737 MAX 8 operated flight while it’s still grounded awaiting recertification
="4"%:

If the flight was cancelled, you can get a refund or make changes without fees;

if the flight was changed (to another aircraft type, etc.) you can make a number of changes free of charge (but not get a refund with change fees waived).
See here for AA announcement about 7M8 / B38M operations and grounding.

Keep an eye on your email for further reaccommodation email notices.

Check your PNR on aa.com to determine if you’ve been reaccommodated.

If the reaccommodation doesn’t suit you, because this is an involuntary flight change and if there’s a significant time change you may be able to get your ticket refunded with no penalty, or to request a more favorable reaccommodation (easier if you can tell the agent which flights you’d prefer and have verified there are seats available.

Keep your eyes on your trips. Until the 7M8 is recertified, maintained out of “mothballs” and returned to service, and for some time after, there will be aircraft and schedule adjustments.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
So if you see your non-MAX 737 (wasn't remotely close to being full) flight next week look completely zeroed out...that's not a good sign right?
I'd watch it very carefully, but AA could have temporarily zeroed it out while they're doing an aircraft swap....or the flight could simply be full, which wouldn't be surprising right now.
JDiver and TravelLawyer like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
żQuien sabe?

All Boeing 737 Max 8 and 9 aircraft will remain grounded at least until May after the fatal Ethiopian Airlines crash on Sunday, the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has said. - BBC, 15 March 2019
followed some hours later by

Shares of Boeing rebounded Friday after a report that the plane manufacturer plans to roll out a software upgrade for its 737 Max aircraft in 10 days.

The Federal Aviation Administration is expected to sign off on Boeing’s planned changes to its anti-stall software on March 25, a person familiar with the matter told CNBC. Lawmakers have been informed of the timeline, the person said. Link to CNBC article

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 15, 2019 at 8:08 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd watch it very carefully, but AA could have temporarily zeroed it out while they're doing an aircraft swap....or the flight could simply be full, which wouldn't be surprising right now.
How far ahead are the swaps happening? I'm on a route that has been canceled tonight and tomorrow (non-Max8) but no information on the Sunday flight that I'm on yet.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by autdi
How far ahead are the swaps happening? I'm on a route that has been canceled tonight and tomorrow (non-Max8) but no information on the Sunday flight that I'm on yet.
We can only suspect that airlines are "winging it" at the moment. I wouldn't expect cancelled flights to be reinstated immediately, but I would expect to see rolling cancellations and aircraft swaps until the sansMAX schedules stabilize.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:11 pm

We can only suspect that airlines are "winging it" at the moment. I wouldn't expect cancelled flights to be reinstated immediately, but I would expect to see rolling cancellations and aircraft swaps until the sansMAX schedules stabilize.
Yep. It’s a very dynamic situation. And AA just suspended all flights to CCS and MAR, Venezuela, today, so that’s two more available hulls.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
I'm on MIA-AUS March 31, AA 2830, on the website it shows as a 738-Boeing 737. I am assuming this is not the MAX? I had a missed call from AA today, no message. I guess my 737 is being used on another flight, but my itin does not show cancelled. If I call them, would they allow me to fly into DFW that day instead of AUS, no fee, no extra charge? I picked AUS because it was only $500 vs. DFW at $1200. Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Fortunately for us DL flyers, this isn't an issue. DL doesnt buy bunk planes.

ETA: i have an upcoming flight on Lion Air. Im totatally cool about it, as long as its not a MAX. Blame the maker, not the operator.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: US, HH
One of my upcoming 738 flights was changed (presumably repurposed elsewhere) and the resulting schedule change was not to my liking, so I called in. Apparently they are still busy with schedule changes, so best to continue watching future flights for now.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Traveller
I'm on MIA-AUS March 31, AA 2830, on the website it shows as a 738-Boeing 737. I am assuming this is not the MAX? I had a missed call from AA today, no message. I guess my 737 is being used on another flight, but my itin does not show cancelled. If I call them, would they allow me to fly into DFW that day instead of AUS, no fee, no extra charge? I picked AUS because it was only $500 vs. DFW at $1200. Thanks!
“738” means it’s a Boeing 737-823 and not “”7M8”, Boeing 737 MAX 8. Those are the only types of 737 AA operates. The MAX are grounded until further notice (and that could be some time beyond April 4).

No, AA certainly won’t allow you to make your desired change, and wouldn’t even if you’d have had an aircraft type change (AUS is not coterminal to DFW).
Traveller likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:15 am
Suspended

Arrow We'll see how this flies

Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
26th of what month? March certainly seems unrealistic with other reports saying that they'll be grounded until at least May.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:49 am
Suspended

26th of what month? March certainly seems unrealistic with other reports saying that they'll be grounded until at least May.
It's this month, and clearly based on this:
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/15/boei...n-10-days.html

But can't imagine there's any chance they're flying again (that FAA lifts grounding) in that time-frame.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
My flights to BGI on April 27 and returning to MIA on May 17 now do not show an aircraft in my reservation. It shows we have the same seats but no aircraft to sit in. Yet the schedule is still showing 7M8
superweak likes this.

Last edited by tbrein; Mar 17, 2019 at 9:11 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by tbrein
My flights to BGI on April 27 and returning to MIA on May 17 now do not show an aircraft in my reservation. It shows we have the same seats but no aircraft to sit in. Yet the schedule is still showing 7M8
Same for AUS-LAX on May 29. I think AA is anticipating this going on a while.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
AA has now masked the aircraft type on AA.com for flights that were 7M8.

Take DCA-LAX for example: (April 6):

The morning flight shows "AA 1275 - 738-Boeing 737"
But the evening flght, which had been a 7M8, shows just "AA163" (with no aircraft type). The seat map is still that of the MAX. Expertflyer still shows as 7M8.

So it looks like AA is trying to hide the 7M8 on AA.com, even though it is still scheduled as a 7M8.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.