Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is STRICTLY dedicated to discussing alternative arrangements and policy resulting from the FAA emergency order grounding all USA carriers’ Boeing 737 MAX 8 (and MAX 9) aircraft. This has grounded all 24 7M8 / 737 MAX 8 aircraft American Airlines has in service.

To discuss the 737 MAX 8s withdrawal from service and related issues apart from reaccommodation related issues, please post in Recent 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccomodation).

To discuss the probable and limited return of the Boeing MAX to service with AA at the end of 2020 and increasingly in 2021, please see
American Planning 737 MAX Service Restoration (Limited Dec and 2021)

An Update on the Boeing 737 MAX (AA, Friday, February 14, 2020, 3:30 PM)

“Based on the latest guidance, the airline anticipates that the resumption of scheduled commercial service on American’s fleet of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft will occur Aug. 18, 2020.”14 Feb 2020 — link

AA has had a policy in place, as shared below by JonNYC in post # 15.

American continues to await information from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of Transportation (DOT), National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), other regulatory authorities and Boeing that would permit the 24 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft in our fleet to resume flying.

In an effort to provide more certainty and avoid last minute flight disruptions, American has extended cancellations through August 14, 2020. Previous dates have been:

04 June 2020, 07 April 2020, 06 March 2020, 16 Jan 2020, December 3, 2019; November 2, September 3, August 19, June 5.) This resulted in the cancellation of approximately 115 flights each day based on our April schedule. By proactively canceling these flights, we are able to provide better service to our customers with availability and rebooking options. - aa.com link to PDF
Essentially, if you’re scheduled to fly on a 737 MAX 8 operated flight while it’s still grounded awaiting recertification
="4"%:

If the flight was cancelled, you can get a refund or make changes without fees;

if the flight was changed (to another aircraft type, etc.) you can make a number of changes free of charge (but not get a refund with change fees waived).
See here for AA announcement about 7M8 / B38M operations and grounding.

Keep an eye on your email for further reaccommodation email notices.

Check your PNR on aa.com to determine if you’ve been reaccommodated.

If the reaccommodation doesn’t suit you, because this is an involuntary flight change and if there’s a significant time change you may be able to get your ticket refunded with no penalty, or to request a more favorable reaccommodation (easier if you can tell the agent which flights you’d prefer and have verified there are seats available.

Keep your eyes on your trips. Until the 7M8 is recertified, maintained out of “mothballs” and returned to service, and for some time after, there will be aircraft and schedule adjustments.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
OK, flights for 4/1 have been changed. Now on E-175 equipment from LGA to MIA (thats a long E-175 flight!). Flight departs one hour later than previously scheduled on a Max 8.
It's a long E175 flight, but almost certainly more comfortable than the 7M8!
JDiver, KRSW, Djokison and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by redct
I was actually "looking forward" to the 738M flight to say I've done it and to be able to authoritatively ..... about the lack of legroom and toilet room.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I was actually "looking forward" to the 738M flight to say I've done it and to be able to authoritatively ..... about the lack of legroom and toilet room.
Don’t worry, Project Oasis will assure your dream comes true soon enough.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by tbrein
What happens after April 4?
Boeing is developing new programming for the MCAS that is implicated in the crashes. If it is approved by the FAA, and installed, April 4 might be the date the MAX is recertifications to fly. Or, the date will be changed.

Personally, at this time the April 4 date reeks of optimism. If I had a MAX operated flight in early April in particular, I’d be proactive and keep an eye out for changes that might a,low me to change without fee, and on AA policy.

On Mar 12th 2019 Boeing issued following release with respect to MCAS, Lion Air Flight 610 and Ethiopian flight 302:

For the past several months and in the aftermath of Lion Air Flight 610, Boeing has been developing a flight control software enhancement for the 737 MAX, designed to make an already safe aircraft even safer. This includes updates to the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) flight control law, pilot displays, operation manuals and crew training. The enhanced flight control law incorporates angle of attack (AOA) inputs, limits stabilizer trim commands in response to an erroneous angle of attack reading, and provides a limit to the stabilizer command in order to retain elevator authority.

The FAA says it anticipates mandating this software enhancement with an Airworthiness Directive (AD) no later than April. We have worked with the FAA in development of this software enhancement. - Aviation Herald
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by JDiver
Don’t worry, Project Oasis will assure your dream comes true soon enough.
Not sure if dream is the right word...... Confronting my destiny more would be more like it. Like Harry Potter viewing his fate.
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
Trying to book BOS-MIA on 3/28 and all the Max flights (first three or four of the day) are zeroed out....

Will be interesting to see what happens.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by redct
That's actually quite an upgrade. In any cabin.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
If the plane is grounded, then obviously you won't be flying it...
NO, AA could swap aircraft around. It's not at all clear that the flights that were ascheduled on MAX 8s are the flights that will be cancelled. Moreover, in the end I would expect to see a fewer total number of cancelled flights than the total number that were scheduled on MAX 8s. AA will rearrange aircraft schedules and use their equipment more intensely. They'll prioritize flights/routes to keep and which ones can be cancelled with minimal impact on profits.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Any advice on which seats to select if I have a max 8 flight that is likely to become a 738 flight if the max is still grounded?
Edit: y or y+
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Any advice on which seats to select if I have a max 8 flight that is likely to become a 738 flight if the max is still grounded?
Edit: y or y+
Looks like the MAX will be grounded "until May at least"... https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47567039

Rows 7, 8 and 9 on the 737-800 are MCE. (Rows 8-10 are MCE on the Oasis 737's). I prefer row 8, as I don't have to feel guilty reclining into a non-MCE person behind me if I choose to recline.

I'm not an exit row fan, as I don't like being another 4-6 rows further back in the plane when landing and wanting to get off the plane ASAP.

YMMV.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Any idea if MIA-LAS is a "profitable" route which will not be cancelled and instead a plane swapped? Wife is scheduled for a flight MIA-LAS 4/17 and, as it looks doubtful that this mess will be sorted out by then, I'm wondering if her flight (last one of several that day but the only one on 7M8 - others are 757) will be cancelled and everyone re-accommodated on the earlier flights that day. If so, I'm thinking it best to call sooner rather than later and get her on the flight that impacts her schedule the least.

Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
NO, AA could swap aircraft around. It's not at all clear that the flights that were ascheduled on MAX 8s are the flights that will be cancelled. Moreover, in the end I would expect to see a fewer total number of cancelled flights than the total number that were scheduled on MAX 8s. AA will rearrange aircraft schedules and use their equipment more intensely. They'll prioritize flights/routes to keep and which ones can be cancelled with minimal impact on profits.
So if you see your non-MAX 737 (wasn't remotely close to being full) flight next week look completely zeroed out...that's not a good sign right?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:49 pm

Boeing's software update might have been implemented already were it not for the government shutdown, which closed the FAA for 35 days.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/13/polit...are/index.html
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, flights for 4/1 have been changed. Now on E-175 equipment from LGA to MIA (thats a long E-175 flight!). Flight departs one hour later than previously scheduled on a Max 8.
I think UA flies them EWR to EYW (Key West).
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Flying AUS-MIA, Monday 18th.. flight cancelled. The 're-book bot' tried to book me on to Tuesday.. Human agent managed to find seats leaving 5.03 am via Dallas. Not ideal, but works.
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.