Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is STRICTLY dedicated to discussing alternative arrangements and policy resulting from the FAA emergency order grounding all USA carriers’ Boeing 737 MAX 8 (and MAX 9) aircraft. This has grounded all 24 7M8 / 737 MAX 8 aircraft American Airlines has in service.

To discuss the 737 MAX 8s withdrawal from service and related issues apart from reaccommodation related issues, please post in Recent 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccomodation).

To discuss the probable and limited return of the Boeing MAX to service with AA at the end of 2020 and increasingly in 2021, please see
American Planning 737 MAX Service Restoration (Limited Dec and 2021)

An Update on the Boeing 737 MAX (AA, Friday, February 14, 2020, 3:30 PM)

“Based on the latest guidance, the airline anticipates that the resumption of scheduled commercial service on American’s fleet of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft will occur Aug. 18, 2020.”14 Feb 2020 — link

AA has had a policy in place, as shared below by JonNYC in post # 15.

American continues to await information from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of Transportation (DOT), National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), other regulatory authorities and Boeing that would permit the 24 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft in our fleet to resume flying.

In an effort to provide more certainty and avoid last minute flight disruptions, American has extended cancellations through August 14, 2020. Previous dates have been:

04 June 2020, 07 April 2020, 06 March 2020, 16 Jan 2020, December 3, 2019; November 2, September 3, August 19, June 5.) This resulted in the cancellation of approximately 115 flights each day based on our April schedule. By proactively canceling these flights, we are able to provide better service to our customers with availability and rebooking options. - aa.com link to PDF
Essentially, if you’re scheduled to fly on a 737 MAX 8 operated flight while it’s still grounded awaiting recertification
="4"%:

If the flight was cancelled, you can get a refund or make changes without fees;

if the flight was changed (to another aircraft type, etc.) you can make a number of changes free of charge (but not get a refund with change fees waived).
See here for AA announcement about 7M8 / B38M operations and grounding.

Keep an eye on your email for further reaccommodation email notices.

Check your PNR on aa.com to determine if you’ve been reaccommodated.

If the reaccommodation doesn’t suit you, because this is an involuntary flight change and if there’s a significant time change you may be able to get your ticket refunded with no penalty, or to request a more favorable reaccommodation (easier if you can tell the agent which flights you’d prefer and have verified there are seats available.

Keep your eyes on your trips. Until the 7M8 is recertified, maintained out of “mothballs” and returned to service, and for some time after, there will be aircraft and schedule adjustments.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Exclamation ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Great, I have 7M8 flight this weekend. Now wait and see what happens to me flight.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Great, I have 7M8 flight this weekend. Now wait and see what happens to me flight.
Don't wait. Call now and try to get rerouted while there might be better availability.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by tom911
Don't wait. Call now and try to get rerouted while there might be better availability.
According to an AAgent, AA has not issued anything in regard to grounding of 7M8 yet. At this moment if I want to change my reservation it is subject to the penalty and fare difference, according to an AAgent. My flight is still showing as on time. Looks like wait and see at this moment till AA come up with plan for 7M8.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
My flight is still showing as on time. Looks like wait and see at this moment till AA come up with plan for 7M8.
I wouldn't trust AA's system for showing any kind of realistic departure delays or cancellations.

Besides that, cancellations really are happening. So I would wait a few more min, then call back.

Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Looking at schedule availability out of MIA now, things look like a real mess. Should get interesting. This is the kind of thing that years of fleet rationalization and squeezing every seat cannot predict. There's now no slack in the system.
Unfortunately MIA is home for these birds and AA probably hadn't gotten around to contingent planning. The other hassle for MIA is that traditionally the MD80 doesn't fly there although I suppose it could for domestic turns. The next couple of days will be a PITA until AA puts in contingent planning. For the poster worrying about the weekend member at least on the weekend there's more slack in the system.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Don’t wait, HUCA and/or escalate.

middle seats await the slow, )and maybe the quick too)
AAway, wrp96 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You will have to look at your PNR and email to see if AA automatically rescheduled you. (As the grounding order is very fresh, it will take Dispatchers a bit of time to accomplish this.)

AA hasn’t posted any travel alerts or policy as yet. Link.

If the reschedule is not to your liking, they may refund or reaccommodate you. It’s best if you’re aware of available alternative flights when you call.

If you’re scheduled to fly imminently, contact AA.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:53 pm

There is no travel alert or policy published on the appropriate page on aa.com, and I suspect it will take time to reschedule people, substitute aircraft and identify available crew.

Telephone agents have the may have any new policy, and JonNYC has it below. if you’re flying imminently, call. If not, I’d recommend waiting a bit. Check your email and PNR for reaccommodation, and on the App for alternatives. (But be proactive.)

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 14, 2019 at 9:38 am Reason: Update
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
Am in the same situation, flight departs tomorrow and so far no update. Am in the Admirals Club currently and desk agents say unless the flight is cancelled in the system there is nothing they can do. What will probably happen is the flight will either be replaced by another 737 aircraft, or a A320, and if not then it will be cancelled and we will be rebooked through some other connection and flight.
Will keep monitoring and call AA to see what happens.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
EXP agent got bulletin when I spoke with him. Flights through April 4th on the 737 max can be rescheduled without penalty.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 13, 2019 at 5:45 pm Reason: Add emphasis to important information
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
New post on the front page of aa.com. Not a lot of info on actual dates that pax can reschedule flights.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:43 pm

As it states I the Wikipost at the top of the page:

This thread is STRICTLY dedicated to discussing alternative arrangements and policy resulting from the FAA emergency order grounding all USA carriers’ Boeing 737 MAX 8 (and MAX 9) aircraft. This has grounded all 24 7M8 / 737 MAX 8 aircraft American Airlines has in service.

To discuss the 737 MAX 8s withdrawal from service and related issues apart from reaccommodation related issues, please post in Recent 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccomodation).

Some posts not adhering to the narrow purpose of this post have moved to the thread linked to above.

Thank you for keeping this IROPS/OSO thread immediately useful to members previously scheduled to fly on one or more of the 85 daily flights AA flights operated with Boeing 737 MAX 8s prior to today’s grounding order.

Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
There is no travel alert or policy published on the appropriate page on aa.com, and I suspect it will take time to reschedule people, substitute aircraft and identify available crew.

Telephone agents may have ad how policy, so if you’re flying imminently, call. If not, I’d recommend waiting a bit. Check your email and PNR for reaccommodation, and on the App for alternatives.
Worst part is these likely all have to be manually done by an agent, and can't be initiated by passengers, like with a weather waiver because I'm sure the weather waiver system wasn't designed to allow changes based on Plane Type...And they can't straight out cancel all those flights to make the system automatically take over, because they don't know it that flight will actually be canceled since there is a high likelihood for an equipment swap.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:50 pm

I was told by an AA agent that flights up until April 3rd can be rebooked.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:10 pm
Suspended

policy:

JDiver and dciolli like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.