Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is STRICTLY dedicated to discussing alternative arrangements and policy resulting from the FAA emergency order grounding all USA carriers’ Boeing 737 MAX 8 (and MAX 9) aircraft. This has grounded all 24 7M8 / 737 MAX 8 aircraft American Airlines has in service.

To discuss the 737 MAX 8s withdrawal from service and related issues apart from reaccommodation related issues, please post in Recent 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccomodation).

To discuss the probable and limited return of the Boeing MAX to service with AA at the end of 2020 and increasingly in 2021, please see
American Planning 737 MAX Service Restoration (Limited Dec and 2021)

An Update on the Boeing 737 MAX (AA, Friday, February 14, 2020, 3:30 PM)

“Based on the latest guidance, the airline anticipates that the resumption of scheduled commercial service on American’s fleet of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft will occur Aug. 18, 2020.”14 Feb 2020 — link

AA has had a policy in place, as shared below by JonNYC in post # 15.

American continues to await information from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of Transportation (DOT), National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), other regulatory authorities and Boeing that would permit the 24 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft in our fleet to resume flying.

In an effort to provide more certainty and avoid last minute flight disruptions, American has extended cancellations through August 14, 2020. Previous dates have been:

04 June 2020, 07 April 2020, 06 March 2020, 16 Jan 2020, December 3, 2019; November 2, September 3, August 19, June 5.) This resulted in the cancellation of approximately 115 flights each day based on our April schedule. By proactively canceling these flights, we are able to provide better service to our customers with availability and rebooking options. - aa.com link to PDF
Essentially, if you’re scheduled to fly on a 737 MAX 8 operated flight while it’s still grounded awaiting recertification
="4"%:

If the flight was cancelled, you can get a refund or make changes without fees;

if the flight was changed (to another aircraft type, etc.) you can make a number of changes free of charge (but not get a refund with change fees waived).
See here for AA announcement about 7M8 / B38M operations and grounding.

Keep an eye on your email for further reaccommodation email notices.

Check your PNR on aa.com to determine if you’ve been reaccommodated.

If the reaccommodation doesn’t suit you, because this is an involuntary flight change and if there’s a significant time change you may be able to get your ticket refunded with no penalty, or to request a more favorable reaccommodation (easier if you can tell the agent which flights you’d prefer and have verified there are seats available.

Keep your eyes on your trips. Until the 7M8 is recertified, maintained out of “mothballs” and returned to service, and for some time after, there will be aircraft and schedule adjustments.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
The way things are going for this airplane it looks like we aren't going to have to worry about it being back in service anytime soon...
Tanic and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
The way things are going for this airplane it looks like we aren't going to have to worry about it being back in service anytime soon...
Tanic and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Yes, I have an award ticket on hold that includes DCA-MIA on a 7M8 on October 3. WTH??? It connects to a flight to Aruba the next day. Doesn't make me warm and fuzzy.
My Max flight was just changed to a 319.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The new tentative date for MAX 8 to be on the schedule again is November 2. It’s possible this grounding could extend until 2020.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 14, 2019 at 2:02 pm
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
My Max flight was just changed to a 319.
Aircraft changes replacing the MAX8 seem to take place about sixty days in advance of the flight, revealed to you on Sunday mornings.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by jcatman
Aircraft changes replacing the MAX8 seem to take place about sixty days in advance of the flight, revealed to you on Sunday mornings.
This was 90 days from my flight. But an article today stated AA has extended its Max cancelations to November, so I checked my flight. As its a 319 now, the F cabin is much smaller. I think we had the only 2 F seats on that flight at the time of the change.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
Odd, my A321 flight on 10/22 just got changed to a 738. I wonder how long this will stick.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by EDnearJQF
Odd, my A321 flight on 10/22 just got changed to a 738. I wonder how long this will stick.
738 or MAX8?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cmd320
738 or MAX8?
[headslap] Looks like 738, not the MAX8. Just ignore me.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
How the 737Max Grounding is affecting me.
Well, I had not given much specific thought until AA Cancelled the most frequent city pairs for me (ORD-FLL).
Last summer, AA ran 2 daily RTs for this pair -
This summer, the route is on hiatus until who knows when!
This is all about finance as there is a lot of competition between these cities (WN. UA & NK)
I guess I will continue to see more of MIA than I desire

2019 cities: ATH, CLT, DCA, DFW, DSM, FLL, IAH, LAS, LHR, LIT, MIA, ORD, STL
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by FLL88
How the 737Max Grounding is affecting me.
Well, I had not given much specific thought until AA Cancelled the most frequent city pairs for me (ORD-FLL).
Last summer, AA ran 2 daily RTs for this pair -
This summer, the route is on hiatus until who knows when!
Reduced frequencies is the norm, especially to FLL since LUS took over. I travel to S. Fla and have trouble finding both FLL and PBI flights, though the standard PBI flights have been okay through DFW and PHL (won't connect thru CLT or DCA due to prior connection issues). What a mess.

Have you tried SPIRIT Airlines? Big Front Seat is quite nice!
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
United and Southwest have pulled the MAX from their schedules until January. It seems that AA will probably have to push out the November 2nd date. We have several November flights that may be impacted. I'm wondering if we will see any revised schedules over Labor Day weekend.
enpremiere likes this.

Last edited by rvolkcpa; Aug 29, 2019 at 7:57 pm
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Once the MAX returns to service, both United and Southwest have said that they will allow flight changes, for no change fee, for those not wanting to fly on a MAX. I know someone who Tweeted AA asking them if they will do the same and they were told, “no”. I read in some recent article, and I don’t remember where, that AA will work with customer who don’t want to fly the MAX. Has anyone heard how AA will handle this? I’m not sure what they mean by “work with customers”. Will they be allowing changes with no fee? Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
So, from what I’ve read in this blog, if you’re booked on a non MAX 8 and your flight gets switched to a MAX 8, I don’t see where AA will be following SW and United in allowing voluntary changes for those with no desire to fly on a MAX 8. Am I missing something? Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by rvolkcpa
United and Southwest have pulled the MAX from their schedules until January. It seems that AA will probably have to push out the November 2nd date. We have several November flights that may be impacted. I'm wondering if we will see any revised schedules over Labor Day weekend.
And sure enough those little ‘ole placeholder maxes make their appearance In December. AA is more optimistic than the rest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.