Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is STRICTLY dedicated to discussing alternative arrangements and policy resulting from the FAA emergency order grounding all USA carriers Boeing 737 MAX 8 (and MAX 9) aircraft. This has grounded all 24 7M8 / 737 MAX 8 aircraft American Airlines has in service.

To discuss the 737 MAX 8s withdrawal from service and related issues apart from reaccommodation related issues, please post in Recent 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccomodation).

To discuss the probable and limited return of the Boeing MAX to service with AA at the end of 2020 and increasingly in 2021, please see
American Planning 737 MAX Service Restoration (Limited Dec and 2021)

An Update on the Boeing 737 MAX (AA, Friday, February 14, 2020, 3:30 PM)

Based on the latest guidance, the airline anticipates that the resumption of scheduled commercial service on Americans fleet of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft will occur Aug. 18, 2020. 14 Feb 2020 link

AA has had a policy in place, as shared below by JonNYC in post # 15.

American continues to await information from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of Transportation (DOT), National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), other regulatory authorities and Boeing that would permit the 24 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft in our fleet to resume flying.

In an effort to provide more certainty and avoid last minute flight disruptions, American has extended cancellations through August 14, 2020. Previous dates have been:

04 June 2020, 07 April 2020, 06 March 2020, 16 Jan 2020, December 3, 2019; November 2, September 3, August 19, June 5.) This resulted in the cancellation of approximately 115 flights each day based on our April schedule. By proactively canceling these flights, we are able to provide better service to our customers with availability and rebooking options. - aa.com link to PDF
Essentially, if youre scheduled to fly on a 737 MAX 8 operated flight while its still grounded awaiting recertification
="4"%:

If the flight was cancelled, you can get a refund or make changes without fees;

if the flight was changed (to another aircraft type, etc.) you can make a number of changes free of charge (but not get a refund with change fees waived).
See here for AA announcement about 7M8 / B38M operations and grounding.

Keep an eye on your email for further reaccommodation email notices.

Check your PNR on aa.com to determine if youve been reaccommodated.

If the reaccommodation doesnt suit you, because this is an involuntary flight change and if theres a significant time change you may be able to get your ticket refunded with no penalty, or to request a more favorable reaccommodation (easier if you can tell the agent which flights youd prefer and have verified there are seats available.

Keep your eyes on your trips. Until the 7M8 is recertified, maintained out of mothballs and returned to service, and for some time after, there will be aircraft and schedule adjustments.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
So with the new announcement, I had the email for a flight change. Unfortunately, they booked me at late hours through ORD with a 51 minute connection. So I phoned right away to AA and got myself booked on the morning flight with a proper 2 hour connection. No issues, and a quick phone call.

I wasn't scheduled on a MAX, but the 738 for one of my flights got moved around the system. Time to checking the emails for you people!
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
You use CityJet? No worries, they have no Boeing products at all.

Weve been through this before. The De Havilland DH-106 Comet, which underwent explosive decompression at altitude. The Lockheed L-188 Electra, which shed its wings midair. The Douglas DC-10, which had a poorly designed baggage door and which AA used an unapproved maintenance procedure on and of which several were lost. The McDonnell Douglas MD-80 jack screw issue. And on.

The difference is the FAA has lost respect from other nations aviation authorities, and more civil aviation agencies will take harder looks at the fix (reprogrammed MCAS, AoA disagree indicators, revised operating manual, etc.) Pilots will be better prepared and exceptionally aware of the MAX quirks.
To be fair, the MD-80 didn't really have a jack screw issue. AS is just cheap and decided to cut corners on the maintenance of their aircraft which resulted in the loss of one aircraft.
Spanish likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by transportbiz
... for a minimum of 2-years once it begins service once again.
Department of Redundancy Department.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
The De Havilland DH-106 Comet, which underwent explosive decompression at altitude. The Lockheed L-188 Electra, which shed its wings midair. The Douglas DC-10, which had a poorly designed baggage door and which AA used an unapproved maintenance procedure on and of which several were lost. Were all developed in an era completely different from today. And as has been pointed out the MD-80 wasn't a systemic issue at all. It's one thing to make a military aircraft totally dependent on computerized flight controls just to keep it in the sky, such as the B-2 Spirit, and many other tactical aircraft. But, a commercial plane the logic is highly questionable. It isn't at all acceptable in commercial aviation when pilots aren't confident with an aircraft and have to be hyper alert to its quirks. Boeing has gone from the most trusted to the least trusted overnight.
As to US regulators being trusted as the gold standard globally, well, that's yesterday...when America was respected for it's technical prowess and expertise. This story is interesting, despite it's leftist slant. https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...porate-america
The idea business can or will self regulate in the public interest is absurd. They can't, they won't, and nor should they! That's akin to telling a Lion it shouldn't eat the Zebra. Another recent example was Volkswagen and dieselgate.

Last edited by transportbiz; Apr 8, 2019 at 11:34 am
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Department of Redundancy Department.
Indeed, good grammatical catch...
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Unsure where to post this. Our flight to Seattle (JFK-SEA) was cancelled and we were rerouted both ways thru other hubs. I notice they have scrapped all Seattle to NYC nonstop routes for the 7M8 window. I would have thought this is a revenue generating route, am I missing something?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BLazarus22
Unsure where to post this. Our flight to Seattle (JFK-SEA) was cancelled and we were rerouted both ways thru other hubs. I notice they have scrapped all Seattle to NYC nonstop routes for the 7M8 window. I would have thought this is a revenue generating route, am I missing something?
AA has pretty much given up on JFK flying outside of hub routes.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Originally Posted by cmd320
AA has pretty much given up on JFK flying outside of hub routes.
Fine, but from the perspective of it being back in the schedule 6/6 twice daily that's not really the point. The route is coincidentally where Boeing is HQ (until they fly to PAE) as well as it being a popular route for B6, DL, and UA. Why would they cut that over the many other short range 737 services they run?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
Seems possible with the false center of gravity based on the more powerful and heavy engines, using technology to "trick" systems might work for many applications, but maybe not so much for a airplane holding up to 190+- PAX, often being flown shorter routes with numerous take offs and landings every day, 365 days a year.

Wondering if Boeing should have started with a clean slate to make a short haul, narrow body 190+- PAX aircraft, rather than pushing a 1970s designed aircraft originally developed for 130 +- PAX to its limit and maybe beyond.
I agree with both of you - been saying all along that the MAX has a major design flaw. Any software is and will always be a band aid at best.
And the 737 is actually a 1960's design - first produced in 1966.
DenverBrian and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fine, but from the perspective of it being back in the schedule 6/6 twice daily that's not really the point. The route is coincidentally where Boeing is HQ (until they fly to PAE) as well as it being a popular route for B6, DL, and UA. Why would they cut that over the many other short range 737 services they run?
Well, they can probably make decent money in the summer with cruise-related traffic (although it's not always the highest-yielding, see FLL). Other times, I guess not so much. Plus, it's probably more profitable to fly 2-3 shorter-haul flights with a given aircraft than one transcon.
BLazarus22 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bchandler02
And the 737 is actually a 1960's design - first produced in 1966.
......and first entered development in 1964. Essentially the plane is 55 years old.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Youve kind of answered your own question there. B6 flies transcon A321 aircraft with a better Y product and a massively better J product. DL flies transcon 757s with flat bed seats up front on some of their frequencies plus have a much larger operation at JFK than AA plus a hub at SEA. United has a hub at EWR. For AA this is basically just a point to point route on which they have basically the worst product.
BLazarus22 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
When the 737-MAX8 grounding is lifted? How much longer is it? Hopefully they will resolved it. Right now, FAA, NTSB, Boeing is still ongoing investigation. They won't wait for any much longer.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:43 pm

I received a response from AA, I was pleased to see they are taking it seriously. I'm actually not a a person given to being overly reactionary, I mean I did fly to JNB rent a Land Cruiser and go on a self drive safari in the bush of Botswana alone.

AA reply: (with a phone number I don't understand at all).April 9, 2019

Hello Mr. T:

Thank you for reaching out to us about the 737 Max grounding. At this time we do not have a specific policy for post grounding but our operations team is being constantly updated by federal agencies in regards to the status of the grounding. When we resume operations with the Max, customer relations and reservations will be able to assist our customers in any way possible.

Additionally, our reservations team is able to book itineraries to avoid a specific aircraft type. In some cases this may require additional connections. Mr. T, although it may be a little to early to create policies for post grounding operations; when the time comes we will have the customers interests in mind. You are always welcome to contact us with post travel inquiries or concerns and reservations at 8700-433-7300 with current and future travel questions.
Sincerely,

D B
Customer Relations

American Airlines
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:04 pm

I am scheduled on a Max8 on a return leg from BGI just after the end of the current window. I may call up and request to be rerouted via CLT anyways. AA did issue a schedule change, the times didnt change much, but the equipment did on a domestic leg of this international itinerary. I assume the entire ticket falls under the international tariff rules which opens the door for refunds / rerouting due to equipment changes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.