Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is STRICTLY dedicated to discussing alternative arrangements and policy resulting from the FAA emergency order grounding all USA carriers’ Boeing 737 MAX 8 (and MAX 9) aircraft. This has grounded all 24 7M8 / 737 MAX 8 aircraft American Airlines has in service.

To discuss the 737 MAX 8s withdrawal from service and related issues apart from reaccommodation related issues, please post in Recent 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccomodation).

To discuss the probable and limited return of the Boeing MAX to service with AA at the end of 2020 and increasingly in 2021, please see
American Planning 737 MAX Service Restoration (Limited Dec and 2021)

An Update on the Boeing 737 MAX (AA, Friday, February 14, 2020, 3:30 PM)

“Based on the latest guidance, the airline anticipates that the resumption of scheduled commercial service on American’s fleet of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft will occur Aug. 18, 2020.”14 Feb 2020 — link

AA has had a policy in place, as shared below by JonNYC in post # 15.

American continues to await information from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of Transportation (DOT), National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), other regulatory authorities and Boeing that would permit the 24 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft in our fleet to resume flying.

In an effort to provide more certainty and avoid last minute flight disruptions, American has extended cancellations through August 14, 2020. Previous dates have been:

04 June 2020, 07 April 2020, 06 March 2020, 16 Jan 2020, December 3, 2019; November 2, September 3, August 19, June 5.) This resulted in the cancellation of approximately 115 flights each day based on our April schedule. By proactively canceling these flights, we are able to provide better service to our customers with availability and rebooking options. - aa.com link to PDF
Essentially, if you’re scheduled to fly on a 737 MAX 8 operated flight while it’s still grounded awaiting recertification
="4"%:

If the flight was cancelled, you can get a refund or make changes without fees;

if the flight was changed (to another aircraft type, etc.) you can make a number of changes free of charge (but not get a refund with change fees waived).
See here for AA announcement about 7M8 / B38M operations and grounding.

Keep an eye on your email for further reaccommodation email notices.

Check your PNR on aa.com to determine if you’ve been reaccommodated.

If the reaccommodation doesn’t suit you, because this is an involuntary flight change and if there’s a significant time change you may be able to get your ticket refunded with no penalty, or to request a more favorable reaccommodation (easier if you can tell the agent which flights you’d prefer and have verified there are seats available.

Keep your eyes on your trips. Until the 7M8 is recertified, maintained out of “mothballs” and returned to service, and for some time after, there will be aircraft and schedule adjustments.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JDiver
AA today announced a new date, June 5 2019, as the earliest date for the 737 MAX 8 to be back in the schedule. Emails should be out today.
I didn’t realize the FAA announced a recall end date?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by enviroian
I didn’t realize the FAA announced a recall end date?
It didn't but there have been guesses regarding how long the fix and its approval will take. Most airlines changed their schedules based on some such guesses rather than taking all MAX aircraft out of the schedule permanently (to the end of schedule). Other carriers are apparently still doing rolling schedule changes, removing the MAX a few weeks ahead in each step.
enviroian likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It didn't but there have been guesses regarding how long the fix and its approval will take. Most airlines changed their schedules based on some such guesses rather than taking all MAX aircraft out of the schedule permanently (to the end of schedule). Other carriers are apparently still doing rolling schedule changes, removing the MAX a few weeks ahead in each step.
Gotcha.

Something tells me whatever AA, UA, FAA, whoever says "okay, we fixed it, good to fly folks" will do zero to sway passenger opinion about boarding this plane moving forward.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
The more this drags on, the more I'm not entirely convinced this aircrafts ONLY issue is MACS, Any discussion about flyers like myself who will not fly this aircraft at least for a few years? What will an airline do if you book avoiding MAX flights, but end up on on due to aircraft swap?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There’s no provision in AA’s domestic contract of carriage for fee-free changes to, or refunds of, itineraries where there is an a/c substitution. (There is for AA internationally though). Will AA still allow it as a customer service gesture? No idea really at this point. Maybe they’ll waive the change fee but not any fare difference.
Your safest bet is to only book on airlines that don’t operate the MAX....
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:20 pm

Well, I would assume if enough people do exactly that AA, WX, UA will announce specific policies. I avoided the 787 "firebird" for a while too, and the MAX's issues I think are far greater. A plane that was rushed to market to be competitive with the Airbus Neo, this thing had disaster written all over it.

This is the email I wrote AA:

Going forward with the issues of the 737 MAX American Airlines needs to issue a specific policy concerning allowance of changes if one of these aircraft are substituted for another aircraft on a booked flight. I for one, and anyone I buy tickets for and our company policy will not allow employees to travel on the MAX for a minimum of 2-years once it begins service once again. American has a choice to make, either guarantee passengers will have the option to opt out of a flight with no penalties, or be accommodated on another flight in the event a 737 MAX is used in substituting for a flight booked specifically to avoid the 737 MAX. Failure to have such a public policy will require all bookings on airlines that do not fly the 737 MAX for this two year period of time.

A similar message will be sent to UA and WX

Last edited by transportbiz; Apr 7, 2019 at 3:30 pm
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by transportbiz
The more this drags on, the more I'm not entirely convinced this aircrafts ONLY issue is MACS, Any discussion about flyers like myself who will not fly this aircraft at least for a few years? What will an airline do if you book avoiding MAX flights, but end up on on due to aircraft swap?
Seems possible with the false center of gravity based on the more powerful and heavy engines, using technology to "trick" systems might work for many applications, but maybe not so much for a airplane holding up to 190+- PAX, often being flown shorter routes with numerous take offs and landings every day, 365 days a year.

Wondering if Boeing should have started with a clean slate to make a short haul, narrow body 190+- PAX aircraft, rather than pushing a 1970s designed aircraft originally developed for 130 +- PAX to its limit and maybe beyond.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
It will be interesting to see if and when the MAX comes back into service, if they will all fly out of MIA again. I, for one, use the MIA hub often for Caribbean trips. if this is the case, I will begin to use CLT as much as I do not like it.
At least the MAX does not fly out of CLT.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tbrein
It will be interesting to see if and when the MAX comes back into service
I don't think it will ever come back.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think it will ever come back.
I hope you are right, but I seriously doubt it.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Peoples perception, accurate or not will determine this planes’s fate. Two fatal accidents plus hearing Boeing raced to get this plane into service sits in hard memory with the flying public. Time will tell.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Peoples perception, accurate or not will determine this planes’s fate. Two fatal accidents plus hearing Boeing raced to get this plane into service sits in hard memory with the flying public. Time will tell.
I think that with Boeing being this deep in, they will do whatever they need to do to get it approved. The regulators in this country put the health of the industry above all else so it will get through.

As for the public, most of them don't know or care what plane they are on. This news cycle will pass. It probably already has.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Well, I would assume if enough people do exactly that AA, WX, UA will announce specific policies. I avoided the 787 "firebird" for a while too, and the MAX's issues I think are far greater. A plane that was rushed to market to be competitive with the Airbus Neo, this thing had disaster written all over it.

Going forward with the issues of the 737 MAX American Airlines needs to issue a specific policy concerning allowance of changes if one of these aircraft are substituted for another aircraft on a booked flight. I for one, and anyone I buy tickets for and our company policy will not allow employees to travel on the MAX for a minimum of 2-years once it begins service once again. American has a choice to make, either guarantee passengers will have the option to opt out of a flight with no penalties, or be accommodated on another flight in the event a 737 MAX is used in substituting for a flight booked specifically to avoid the 737 MAX. Failure to have such a public policy will require all bookings on airlines that do not fly the 737 MAX for this two year period of time.

that'll show 'em
iadisgreat, clubord and Spanish like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
that'll show 'em
Almost 4 hours before a snark, on flyertalk that's pretty long.
HofstraJet and Spanish like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

You use CityJet? No worries, they have no Boeing products at all.

We’ve been through this before. The De Havilland DH-106 Comet, which underwent explosive decompression at altitude. The Lockheed L-188 Electra, which shed its wings midair. The Douglas DC-10, which had a poorly designed baggage door and which AA used an unapproved maintenance procedure on and of which several were lost. The McDonnell Douglas MD-80 jack screw issue. And on.

The difference is the FAA has lost respect from other nations’ aviation authorities, and more civil aviation agencies will take harder looks at the fix (reprogrammed MCAS, AoA disagree indicators, revised operating manual, etc.) Pilots will be better prepared and exceptionally aware of the MAX quirks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.